Monterey Park mass shooting
25 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Jan. 24, 2023, 1:22 a.m.

Monterey Park mass shooting live updates: Suspect had hundreds of rounds of ammunition, police say

The 72-year-old suspect has died following Saturday night's mass shooting.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/live-updates/monterey-park-mass-shooting/?id=96603692

Comments
By metmike - Jan. 24, 2023, 1:25 a.m.
Like Reply

live news

Live

7 killed in Half Moon Bay shooting

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/half-moon-bay-california-shooting-1-23-23/index.html

What we know 

• Seven people were killed and one critically wounded in shootings at two locations in Half Moon Bay, California, Monday, officials said. A 67-year-old suspect is in custody.
  • One shooting took place at a mushroom farm and another near a trucking facility, approximately two miles from the farm, San Mateo County Sheriff Christina Corpus said.
  • Half Moon Bay is approximately 28 miles south of San Francisco and lies within the westernmost portion of San Mateo County.
  • Monday's incident is the second mass shooting in California in the last few days, according to the Gun Violence Archive.

By metmike - Jan. 24, 2023, 1:28 a.m.
Like Reply
By metmike - Jan. 24, 2023, 1:51 a.m.
Like Reply

Three weeks and 38 mass shootings. This is America in 2023.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/23/politics/mass-shootings-in-2023-what-matters/index.html

It’s bad however you look at it.     

Firearm injuries are now the leading cause of death among people younger than 24 in the United States, according to a study published in the December 2022 edition of Pediatrics, the journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics.   

From 2015 through 2020, there were at least 2,070 unintentional shootings by children under 18 in the US, according to a report from Everytown. Those shootings resulted in 765 deaths and 1,366 injuries.        

An unequal burden. A study published late last year in JAMA Network Open analyzed firearm deaths over the past three decades – a total of more than 1 million lives lost since 1990.  

The researchers found that firearm mortality rates increased for most demographic groups in recent years – especially during the Covid-19 pandemic – but vast disparities persisted. The homicide rate among young Black men – 142 homicide deaths for every 100,000 Black men ages 20 to 24 – was nearly 10 times higher than the overall firearm death rate in the US in 2021.  

Americans are armed like few others. There are about 393 million privately owned firearms in the US, according to an estimate by the Switzerland-based Small Arms Survey. That’s 120 guns for every 100 Americans.    

While the exact number of civilian-owned firearms is difficult to calculate due to a variety of factors – including unregistered weapons, the illegal trade and global conflict – no other nation has more civilian guns than people.    

About 45% of US adults say they live in a household with a gun, according to an October 2022 Gallup survey.    

How should we define ‘mass shooting’?  

The Gun Violence Archive, like CNN, defines a mass shooting as one in which at least four people are shot, excluding the shooter.    

But what defines a mass shooting depends on whom you ask.     

The Federal Bureau of Investigation, for example, has cited 2012 legislation defining a “mass killing” as “three or more killings in a single incident.”    

Mass Shooting Tracker, a crowd-sourced data base, defines mass shooting as “a single outburst of violence in which four or more people are shot.”    

Everytown For Gun Safety defines a mass shooting as any incident in which four or more people are shot and killed, excluding the shooter.  

++++++++++++++++++

Repeating: The homicide rate among young Black men – 142 homicide deaths for every 100,000 Black men ages 20 to 24 – was nearly 10 times higher than the overall firearm death rate in the US in 2021.  

+++++++++++++++

If you want to greatly reduce the number of serious problems with cops and young black men, just greatly reduce the stratospheric violent crime rate they commit and suddenly......almost all the encounters cops have with them (its a cops job to fight crime) will..............go away.

Body cams and enforced training protocol are great things to keep cops honest but as long as young black men are committing a massive amount of violent crime, mostly with blacks as the victims too........cops doing a good job to confront that crime will result in numerous tragedies.

But that's only part of the problem with these mass killings, where blacks are the shooter at only double the rate of their % in our population.

Number of mass shootings in the United States between 1982 and January 2023, by shooter's race or ethnicity                    

https://www.statista.com/statistics/476456/mass-shootings-in-the-us-by-shooter-s-race/

Bar graph won't copy!

https://www.statista.com/statistics/971473/number-k-12-school-shootings-us/

This is insane!

By madmechanic - Jan. 24, 2023, 8:01 p.m.
Like Reply

I suppose it's about time for me to chime in on this controversial topic.

First, I am fine/safe, I don't live anywhere near where this shooting took place.

Second, I am a lawful gun owner in California, difficult to do with how many gun laws California has but still possible to do. I do fall into the statistic of gun owners that does indeed own more than 1 firearm. At the current time I own 2 handguns, 3 rifles and a shotgun. I wish to explain a little about this however as many will look at even that modest list and think "why does 1 person 'need' so many guns?!" It's not necessarily about 'needing', technically I don't need any of them. I don't hunt so I don't rely on any of them for food/survival.

I have always had a fascination with firearms from a young age, mostly from an engineering perspective. When you stop and think about all the physics involved in how a firearm operates, and how many different mechanical systems have been tried over the last 100 years for the operation of firearms, it's a very interesting engineering study.

Two of the rifles I own are historical pieces. One is a bolt action rifle made in Czechoslovakia during WW2 under Nazi occupation as part of a production contract for military rifles for the Romanian army. You can actually see the remnants of the Romanian army crest on the receiver of the rifle (the crest was partially removed when these rifles were sold as surplus and exported). The other rifle is a Russian made SKS semi-automatic rifle made by the Tula arsenal in 1950. The design of the SKS rifle was just being finalized at the very end of WW2 and it's adoption by the Russian military as their main battle rifle was short, being replaced in 1947 officially by the AK-47. The SKS was only produced by Russian arsenals until 1955, but the SKS pattern was produced by Warsaw block countries throughout most of the cold war. Russian SKS rifles are incredibly rare to begin with and more-so in the US. Most SKS pattern rifles available in the USA are Yugoslavian pattern. Both of these rifles I own mostly for their historical value, but both are fully safe and functional rifles.

I'm getting off track. The shotgun I own is a fairly standard 12ga pump action style shotgun, I have only ever used it for shooting clay targets. The two handguns are both semi-automatic style, one in 9mm (a CZ-75) and the other in .45 ACP (a 1911 replica produced by Rock Island Armory). The CZ-75 is my preferred handgun for taking to the range as it's the most comfortable for me to enjoy a day of paper target shooting. The 1911 I purchased almost more to just have a 1911 as part of the 'historic' collection, though it really has no historic value as it's a modern production piece.

The point I'm trying to make here is that gun owners often have various reasons for owning more than 1 firearm.

On the issue of mass shootings, here is the problem as I see it. This is not about the availability of firearms. This is a mental health issue first and foremost followed by a declining rate of proper instruction regarding safe handling of firearms.

All of my firearms are kept in a California DOJ approved gun safe. The safe has an electronic keypad lock that only my wife knows the combination to and has a mechanical override lock activated by a physical key with the keys to this lock being in my mother's possession at my parents house. There is no way I can access my own firearms short of angle grinding the hinges off the safe. Why have I gone to these measures? Why have I literally locked myself out of access to my own firearms? Because ever since my mental breakdown in 2018 surrounding climate change propaganda, I thought it prudent to take extra safety precautions in my house.

What we have in our society is a major mental health problem. US culture sees it as taboo for someone to have mental health issues but also to see a therapist about those issues. So, people don't see therapists and their mental health problems get worse. The near 2 years of lockdowns and social distancing with the COVID pandemic did not help things, quite the contrary the country saw a huge spike in mental health needs. Therapists are overloaded with more clients than they have time to see to. The lockdowns, social distancing and mask mandates, for as helpful or harmful as they were, turned neighbor against neighbor and made the majority of society fearful of everyone else.

*I personally have never had an aversion to seeing a therapist, I started seeing therapists at a young age to help me cope with being bullied at school and also to help me cope with my father's depression. I currently see a therapist weekly as I have been dealing with significant physical health issues since March of 2022 which then significantly impacted my mental health. Therefore, based on my own life experiences, I don't understand the cultural aversion we have in the US to mental health services.

We also have no screening for mental health when purchasing firearms. Politicians and anti-gunners scream for "universal background checks" which is something I don't understand considering it is federal law enforced by the ATF that all firearm purchases in the United States be conducted through ATF licensed FFL dealers and there is a background check performed at the federal level for each transaction.

Germany has civilian ownership of firearms, but if a civilian in Germany wants to purchase a firearm, they must undergo a mental health evaluation as part of their application to purchase a firearm. Switzerland has civilian ownership of firearms, in fact it goes one step further. Every able bodied male of a certain age is required to serve a term of service in the Swiss self defense force. During their time of service they are issued a military grade assault rifle, which they store at home. At the end of their service, the military armorers will disable with the full-automatic fire capabilities of the rifle and return the rifle to the owner so they can continue to keep the rifle at home. This is a culture that teaches safe handling of firearms and promotes it.

I will also point out the following, and these are arguments that likely many of you have heard over and over again. Why do shooters so often target schools? Because they are required by government law to be 'gun free zones'. They also tend to be a (if you will excuse this disgusting phrase) 'target rich environments'. So, if a shooter can run rampant in an environment where his only time limit is how quickly the police can show up? Why wouldn't he choose that target?

Lastly I will point you towards this post from crimeresearch.org

https://crimeresearch.org/2016/04/murder-and-homicide-rates-before-and-after-gun-bans/

This article shows statistics from countries that have banned firearms in some form and saw their crime rates go UP. Perhaps those crimes were not committed with firearms, but the crimes still occurred. When you disarm law abiding citizens, criminals will still be armed in some form or another.

As my father used to tell me growing up: "If you outlaw guns, outlaws will still have guns."

Yes, the United States has a shooting crime problem (call them mass shootings if you want to). But while most people will point the finger of guilt at guns themselves, the reality is that firearms are tools and like many tools they can be used in various ways. I use my firearms for sporting purposes (shooting clay targets with a shotgun, or punching holes in paper targets with my rifles and handguns). Other people will use their firearms as tools to put food on the table (shotguns for hunting birds, rifles for hunting game like deer). Others will unfortunately use them for nefarious purposes. The point I'm trying to make is that it is the individual that is the difference, not the firearm.

Don't blame the tool. Kitchen knives, baseball bats and claw hammers are tools that are also used to kill people.

By metmike - Jan. 24, 2023, 8:27 p.m.
Like Reply

madmechanical engineer, 

It's almost like you read my mind.

I was going to follow up with a post here on the killings in our country being related to the mentality in our country, including mental illness, hatred, divisiveness and constant exposure on media sources that bombard us with the negativity which drives the thoughts of unstable people who are subjected to it.

More later, but a special thanks for getting us on a track to discuss this profound element.

I also own a couple of guns, one I bought to protect myself 29+ years ago from a male stalker that vandalized my car and broke into my apartment twice, the 2nd time, burning it down and I lost every childhood pix and item that I owned. 

I was a tv celebrity(chief meteorologist) from 1982-1993 and we attract those types. 

Grew up in Detroit and never even touched a gun in my life.......then I slept with one in my bed for years after moving to a rural community. 

I can tell you that the gun bought me a tremendous amount of sleep and peace of mind that the baseball bat couldn't provide. 

The cops never caught the guy, BTW.

By madmechanic - Jan. 24, 2023, 8:36 p.m.
Like Reply

A couple stories from my life that people here might find shocking and/or amusing.

My mother grew up in a farming household. Her father owned firearms, some for the protection of his cattle herds (ground burrowing varmints are a big problem to the health and safety of cattle), others for the protection of the household. My mother knows that growing up there was at least 1 loaded firearm in the house pretty much at all times, but she and her siblings wee aware of it, and were specifically instructed on how dangerous it was and not to touch it. They were TAUGHT firearm safety starting at a young age, something that used to be commonplace across the US but just isn't anymore.

I remember being taught firearm safety sometime before I entered high school. When I was dating my first girlfriend, her father was a gun owner. I remember being at her parents house one day talking to her father while he was servicing (cleaning/oiling) some of his firearms when out of the blue he walks over to me with a .22 caliber handgun and hands it to me. He said nothing but watched me very carefully to see what I did next. My safety training kicked in, rule 1 - ASSUME THE FIREARM IS LOADED, therefore finger OFF the trigger, rule 2 - point the firearm in a safe direction (in this case towards the floor and away from anyone in the room), rule 3 - verify if the firearm is in fact loaded (drop the magazine AND pull the slide back to check the chamber). I did all of this instinctively, which impressed the man.

When I started working at my first real engineering industry job, my first day on the job one of my tasks was to go through the desk that had been assigned to me and clean it out. What I wasn't told was that the desk I had been assigned used to be the desk that the owner of the company used. What they also didn't warn me about was that the owner of the company was a firearm owner and often kept firearms on-site (it is a small company in a mostly rural farming town). I opened one of the side drawers and saw some dry erase markers and a dirty washcloth (dirty from dry erase dust). I went to pick up the washcloth and found that it was heavy, like there was something metal wrapped up inside of it. I carefully unwrapped the washcloth to find a semi-automatic handgun. Once again, safety training kicked in. I was the only person in the room but I still pointed the barrel in a safe direction and kept my finger off the trigger. I went to drop the magazine and found that there wasn't one. I then pulled the slide back and found that there wasn't even a barrel in the gun, so it was safe (non-operational), but it was still a shock to find a firearm in my desk drawer on my first day. I went and found another employee and reported what I found, they said calmly said (as if this was no surprise) "oh that belongs to the owner, go talk to him." I found the owner and he chuckled, took me back to my office, pulled a metal lockbox off a nearby shelving rack, punched in a code and produced another of the same model handgun and handed it to me. Here I am, day one of my new job as a college intern. I'm sitting at my assigned desk with the owner standing next to me and he has just handed me a functional handgun (unloaded). Right at that moment, another employee walked into my office looking for the owner and sees me with this handgun in my hands. I know I had a stunned look on my face and I quickly said "This isn't mine! This is his!" That employee without blinking and showing no surprise or alarm at all says to me "I've seen that gun before." And then proceeds to talk to the owner.

By madmechanic - Jan. 24, 2023, 8:45 p.m.
Like Reply

"I can tell you that the gun bought me a tremendous amount of sleep and peace of mind that the baseball bat couldn't provide."

Early in the pandemic, when the George Floyd event occurred which lead to riots and the Black Lives Matter movement (ALL Lives Matter by the way), there was one particular weekend where my neighbor (who was an active county sheriff officer at the time) told me that there were reports of possible violent riots that would be targeting predominantly white communities in our area. He advised me to protect myself in case they targeted ours.

I asked him if that meant the use of deadly force if needed. He just said, "If they are INSIDE your house, do what you have to do."

That night I got my 9mm handgun out, loaded both magazines, and locked the slide back using the slide release lever on the handgun. I wasn't comfortable keeping the gun actually loaded in my bedside nightstand but having it as near ready to go as possible I was comfortable with. I slept with 2 loaded magazines and the handgun in a ready state for months until tensions died down.

I also instructed my wife on safe handling of the handgun. She listened to my instructions but ultimately she wasn't comfortable handling the firearm and preferred to sleep with my good ole Louisville slugger at her bedside.

I don't want to shoot anyone, but I will protect myself and my household if it comes to it. In that particular time of national turmoil, that handgun bought me some peace of mind to sleep at night as well.

As a side note, California is VERY specific about self defense on your property. You are not allowed to assault someone who is trespassing ON your property; however, if they force their way INTO your house, you are allowed to protect yourself however you deem necessary.

By metmike - Jan. 24, 2023, 9:13 p.m.
Like Reply

Great stories MM.

I learned to shoot in the woods in back of our tv station in 1983. 

I had no idea about guns but one of the camera men, Tim Trulove told me he knew alot.

So he took me to a Henderson KY gun store and I bought a cheap .22 pistol that doesn't even have a safety. 

I wanted small, easy and cheap so that I could take it everywhere with me.

We went in back of the tv station and shot it 9 or 10 times, at a tree, then back inside quickly in case somebody called the cops.......and I was feeling, sort of like a criminal and really guilty the entire time because of the way I'd thought of guns growing up in Detroit.

Then I carried it with me much of the time, always loaded for a couple of years and got comfortable with the situation.

And this was BEFORE the guy burned down my apartment and almost killed the couple living up stairs. Luckily, I got there late at night and woke them up so they could run down the fire escape.

I saw the same window broken that he used to break in before and I thought that he was in there. I cocked the gun and went in.......ready for a confrontation but instead, found a fire in my bedroom. He'd piled up all my belongings on the bed and dumped gasoline on them and lit it. It appeared that he waited until he saw my car pulling around the back to park, then lit the fire and ran out. 

The flames were huge, hitting the tall ceiling and mushrooming out to all the walls.

He had destroyed my phone in the apartment so that I couldn't call the fire department or cops but I got an apartment next to me to call the fire department and they were just 1 block away........and hollered out to the couple on the 2nd floor to get out. 

They never caught the guy.

Do I wish I got there a few minutes earlier and shot him?

Heck yes!

2 years after that, driving home from the station to my house and newly wed wife, somebody took a shot at me while I was driving on a highway going 50 mph.

The bullet hit the roof of my car, 6 inches directly above my head.

So they nailed the horizontal angle, which would have been the tough shot with a fast moving vehicle but were a tad too high with the vertical.

I got a shot gun after that but my wife wouldn't touch the guns, so I got a German Shepard to protect her and the kids when I wasn't home. 

Were they targeting me or a random shooter?  
They were hiding behind some thick bushes on the side of Highway 41 North and it was 11pm on a weekday with almost no traffic. 

I took that way home every single night for years.

There were enough other incidents to believe strongly that metmike was the intended target.

After my apartment was burned down, for well over a year, if there was a car following me on the way home, I would drive around until I lost them, not wanting anybody to track me to my home. 

However, I never thought somebody would shoot at me late at night. No amount of protection is going to help with that. 

Ironic. I grew up in Detroit, during a time that it was the murder capital of the US and never touched a gun or got shot at. Only criminals in the bad neighborhoods did that. Had lots of encounters with dangerous people (Norm Seagle the young cop that lived across the street from us was shot and killed in the parking lot of a bar 1/2 mile from where we lived) but it took coming to rural America to be introduced to the gun world.

Of course I was a celebrity being stalked. 

Also, I got a life time permit to carry a gun in Indiana 15 years ago, in case I feel the need. 

Also went to the gun range a couple of times to be comfortable shooting it properly. 

However, I'm chess coach at 5 schools and accidentally bringing a gun into a school would qualify as the dumbest thing that I've done since becoming a responsible adult. 

However, if I encountered a live shooter some place and I had a gun, I just know the adrenaline would kick in and I would try to take them out without harming others. 

Indiana changed their gun laws. You no longer need a license to carry a gun here if you're 18 years old and not a felon. 

Part of me, growing up in Detroit,  thinks that's crazy. The other part, that was victimized on several occasions understands it completely.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/in-gun-laws/

By metmike - Jan. 25, 2023, 12:57 p.m.
Like Reply

Regardless of our own anecdotal stories here and sincerity for using guns to protect ourselves or for collecting or in other non offending, non crimial ways, America has a really serious problem that needs to be addressed.

Actually, the tv celebrity stalker is a good segway to discussing how the communication industry is causing much of our problem today.

It relates to what you mentioned, MM, mental illness but goes beyond that in the age of the internet, social media and people treating other people they disagree with in politics disrespectfully and with divisive hatred. 

I've mentioned people like Tucker Carlson on Fox news and Alex Jones of Infowars before. Chris Cuomo on CNN acted the same way. They are extremely charismatic (which is how they get that position) in a business that is all about ratings.

When I was on tv, there was hardly a month that went by that we weren't reminded of ratings and our objective at #2 was to become #1. The best news director I ever worked for, an extremely altruistic man, just suddenly quit in 1991.

He got us 15 employees together and told us, paraphrased "I got into this business because I thought I could make a positive impact in the world and I've been told every day the past 2 years that my job is to make money for Jim Gilmore(owner) by doing whatever it takes to accomplish that. 

So he and his wife, that was making a big 6 figure salary at Brystal Meyers  both quit their jobs and went to Europe for several years as volunteers working for an organization that helped a country over there that had recently converted to a democracy to adapt to the changes from a communist form of government.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/EPRS/EPRS_STU_538881_Democratic_change_EN.pdf

So that's the backdrop that has always existed but in todays world, the competition is getting much more  extreme.

In those days, there were 3 major networks, NBC, ABC and CBS and your local newspaper. 

We used to say "if it bleeds, it leads" and "it doesn't matter what you say, as long as people watch" and "it doesn't matter if people love you or hate you......as long as they watch you".

But now there are a million times more sources all trying to capture your attention and news that would make it to your eyes in 24 hours before but comes out in just minutes and from hundreds of sources simultaneously today.

And extremely addicting social media where people are sometimes just words on a screen and worst of all, amplifiers of extremism.

People go to echo chambers because they seek out messages that tell them what they like to hear and want to believe in.

30 years ago, the choices were very limited and usually pretty objective, telling all sides.

Today, they often line up with 1 political side or the other and absolutely feature extreme versions of both sides that greatly appeal to millions.

Captured brains            

15 responses |         

Started by metmike - April 10, 2021, 12:32 a.m.        

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/67714/

By metmike - Jan. 25, 2023, 1:13 p.m.
Like Reply

Unstable, VULNERABLE TO MESSAGES type people, 30 years ago did not get fed with this constant barrage of counter productive  fuel(from places that disrespect humanity) to feed their deranged brain and cause them to finaly go over the deep end.

A deranged brain is likely to be drawn to the most dangerous sites, which amplify their disorder.

In addition, the non extreme, less dangerous media sources are still fighting the ratings war in a cut throat business, which forces them to practice the "if it bleeds, it leads" philosophy. 

This isn't speculative. It's basic psychology 101 stuff applied  on a national scale in the age of advanced communication. 

There's a lot of complicating elements to it. 

Mass Shootings: The Role of the Media in Promoting Generalized Imitation

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5296697/

This person claims that the mass shootings are usually not committed by mentally ill people.....again, opinions vary tremendously as well as solutions.

Is There a Link Between Mental Health and Mass Shootings?

https://www.columbiapsychiatry.org/news/mass-shootings-and-mental-illness

My comment is that scientists, more often than not, go into their studies knowing what they want the data to show to support what their compelling position is. 

It seems pretty far fetched to downplay mental illness in the vast majority of people that kill numerous human beings and this goes back to another issue in society.......our inability to properly recognize/assess legit mental illness on a massive scale and we judge people afflicted with it by the standards of healthy brains......instead of seeing the unhealthy, mentally ill brain.

We are failing  to acknowledge unhealthy brains(whether its organic-from a chemical imbalance of neurotransmitters, for instance or environmentally caused) in a large % of  mentally ill cases.......like in the homeless community.  

By 12345 - Jan. 25, 2023, 1:50 p.m.
Like Reply

IS THERE ANY SCENARIO YOU CAN THINK OF, THAT WOULD CAUSE YOU TO CARRY OUT A MASS SHOOTING?

JUST CURIOUS

By metmike - Jan. 25, 2023, 2:14 p.m.
Like Reply

Just responding to your question, personally. 

I respect other people too much to want to hurt them.

In fact, my serious objective here and elsewhere is to HELP other people. Educate them. Make the world a better place. Contribute positive things.

This is  the quintessential ANTI mass shooter mentality.

Use this to help makeyourself a better person!

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/82252/

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot somebody(s) doing serious harm to others though, so I can justify shooting people who deserve it  in the right circumstances. 

By madmechanic - Jan. 25, 2023, 3:16 p.m.
Like Reply

By 12345

"IS THERE ANY SCENARIO YOU CAN THINK OF, THAT WOULD CAUSE YOU TO CARRY OUT A MASS SHOOTING?

JUST CURIOUS"

Short answer? I cannot think of any reason that someone of sound mind and rational thinking/reasoning would carry out a mass shooting.

In 2022, mere weeks before the invasion of Ukraine began, there was a mass shooting in downtown Sacramento on the sidewalk outside of a busy night club. After police investigated it was determined that the motive was gang related, with the shooters on BOTH sides using stolen firearms. Once it was determined that it was gang violence with innocent bystanders caught in the middle, the media attention died down quick. The the Ukraine invasion happened and the local news stopped reporting on it completely.

Other reasons I've heard for various mass shooting incidents over the years have been things like racism. Other situations are initially spurred on from domestic situations, where perhaps two people dating break up and one of them takes it a bit too hard, starts stalking the other one and ultimately starts shooting. Crime of passion.

Interestingly, California actually implemented (many years ago) a 10-day waiting period from when you commit to buying a firearm (fill out the paperwork) to when you can actually take possession of the firearm. This is called the 'cool off' period and it's intended to help reduce incidents of passion or rage driven crimes.

By 12345 - Jan. 25, 2023, 3:30 p.m.
Like Reply

"I wouldn't hesitate to shoot somebody(s) doing serious harm to others though, so I can justify shooting people who deserve it  in the right circumstances. "

THANK YOU!!  I DON'T BELIEVE THERE IS A PERSON ALIVE, THAT CAN'T THINK OF THE "'RIGHT" SITUATION TO PROVOKE THEM INTO A MASS SHOOTING.

NOW... CAN YOU EVEN TRY TO UNDERSTAND/FEEL YOUR MINDSET, AT JUST THE THOUGHT OF IT?  HOW SCARY IS THAT?!  VERY, IMO.

PRESENTED WITH THAT SCENARIO, FOR REAL ~ I WOULD THINK THAT THOSE THAT COMMIT MASS SHOOTINGS, MUST REACH A POINT IN THEIR MIND THAT IS BEYOND BELIEF. THEIR BRAIN HAS GOT TO BE MISFIRING, ON ALL CYLINDERS, WHETHER IT'S DRUG INDUCED ~ FEAR INDUCED ~ ANGER INDUCED ~ ETC.  EUPHORIA? I DON'T KNOW.

SERIOUSLY, I FEEL SORRY FOR THE SHOOTER ~ DUE TO WHAT THEIR MIND MUST BE GOING THROUGH.  DO THEY NEED LOCKED UP FOR LIFE OR GIVEN THE DEATH PENALTY? IMO, DEFINITELY.  WHEN THEY COMMIT SUICIDE, OR GET KILLED BY A COP? ~ I'M HAPPY/GLAD FOR THEM, JUST FOR THE FACT THAT THEIR EARTHLY MIND IS AT PEACE.  WHERE THEY END UP IN THE AFTERLIFE, ISN'T UP TO ME.

MENTAL ILLNESS IS REAL & IT IS A BIG PROBLEM, WORLD WIDE. I APPLAUD THOSE THAT RECOGNIZE IT, IN THEMSELVES & DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO KEEP FROM GETTING "TRIGGERED".  THAT TAKES COURAGE & STRENGTH, IMO.

By metmike - Jan. 25, 2023, 8:43 p.m.
Like Reply

Don't underestimate or forget the power of hate based almost entirely on people being different than you......especially in politics.

This can be a highly motivating factor and not always rooted in mental illness.

If there was a hate meter to measure the level of hatred in the US right now,  what do you think that it would show?

Hate Crimes Reach The Highest Level In More Than A Decade

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/31/1032932257/hate-crimes-reach-the-highest-level-in-more-than-a-decade

Anti-Asian hate crimes increased 339 percent nationwide last year, report says

The report also points out that Black Americans remained the most targeted group in terms of hate crimes.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/anti-asian-hate-crimes-increased-339-percent-nationwide-last-year-repo-rcna14282

Poll: Most in US say misinformation spurs extremism, hate

By DAVID KLEPPEROctober 12, 2022

https://apnews.com/article/religion-crime-social-media-race-and-ethnicity-05889f1f4076709c47fc9a18dbee818a

By 12345 - Jan. 25, 2023, 9:07 p.m.
Like Reply

WELL, MIKE ~ I'M AN ODD ONE THAT BELIEVES HATRED TOWARDS ANOTHER PERSON & RACISM ARE BOTH FORMS OF MENTAL ILLNESS.

HATE THE SIN, NOT THE SINNER

By metmike - Jan. 25, 2023, 9:36 p.m.
Like Reply

We should note that people mainly only consider hate to be significant when the hate comes from groups of the opposite party. When groups driven by hate from their own political party  commit heinous acts, it's often seen as justified because they represent an agenda that's fighting for something important to them.

Below:

Justified for a political agenda by one group, with the reality being a Summer of widespread destruction, deaths and injuries to countless innocent victims inspired by HATE!

Others see what it really was!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_United_States_racial_unrest

2020 United States racial unrest

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On the other side

https://people.com/politics/dc-protest-photos-us-capitol-pro-trump-riots/

January 6th, 2001. . An unprecedented attack on our Capital building, elected officials and democracy.....violent Insurrection. Totally inspired by treasonous President Trump and his attempt to overturn the results of the most secure presidential election in history.  Even causing republicans to HATE Mike Pence enough to chant about hanging him. 

Seen by some republicans as not really that bad. More like a bunch of routy tourists that got lost and a bit out of control but basically harmless..........and that it wasn't Trump but the FBI that intentionally caused it to frame Trump(seriously, Tucker claims this)

By 12345 - Jan. 25, 2023, 9:42 p.m.
Like Reply

madmechanic 

"Short answer? I cannot think of any reason that someone of sound mind and rational thinking/reasoning would carry out a mass shooting."

AS METMIKE SAID ~ "I wouldn't hesitate to shoot somebody(s) doing serious harm to others though, so I can justify shooting people who deserve it  in the right circumstances. "

I AGREE WITH HIM ON THAT SCENARIO/SITUATION. I COULDN'T JUST STAND THERE & WATCH, NOR COULD I RUN AWAY. 

WEAPONS OR NOT, I'D GET INVLOVED. YEP, I'VE GOTTEN INVOLVED NUMEROUS TIMES WHEN PARENTS (MOM OR DAD) START BEATIN' ON THEIR KIDS.. IN STORES, IN PUBLIC PLACES OR EVEN IN THEIR OWN FRONT YARD.  EACH TIME I WAS IN HOPES THE PERP WOULD CALL THE COPS ON ME. THEY NEVER DID ~ GUESS THEY KNEW BETTER, EH?

WE AREN'T ALL CUT FROM THE SAME CLOTH :)  THANK GOODNESS  LOL

By metmike - Jan. 25, 2023, 9:43 p.m.
Like Reply

Jean,

I hear you on the hate the sin and not the sinner mentality. Hate is the most destructive emotion of all......especially to the hater.

Hate is the most destructive emotion of all.

It will cause you to lower and violate the  previous standards that you set for yourself for ethical behavior and honesty because this emotion drives you to hurt the person that you hate more than those  previous standards cause you to follow the truth and be objective...............and act professionally, with integrity. 

It will cause you to do and say things that are harmful to you and your reputation when the hate becomes neurotic because you become so obsessed with harming the hated person that rational thinking no longer applies.

Your interpretation of circumstances involving the hated person becomes so blatantly skewed  that the hoped for endpoint in every realm is always for them to be hurt.

Hate blackens the heart and soul of the hater. It can ruin personal relationships and ironically, more often than not destroys the hater, not the target of their hatred.

This emotion drives the thoughts of many people when it comes to any issue involving:

President Trump.

President Biden. 

Dr. Fauci.

Nancy Pelosi. 

President Putin/Russia

Fossil fuel companies

We should note that almost never do people discover the reasons to hate others in the public realm thru independent research  that they apply objectively with their own self discovered evidence.

That happens like.........almost never.

They get all of it from people like Alex Jones or Tucker Carlson, or Al Sharpton  who do all the work for them and give them the reasons to distrust and hate people that they disagree with.

They tell us bad things about people who strongly disagree with their/our ideology and why those people are hurting us by being this way and getting away with it.

Inspiring hatred because those people are hurting us and America and not being held accountable.

The natural thing to do is to hate those people and wish for bad things to happen to them because that brings a sense of accountability/justice to our mindset. 

Is this mental illness?

Gullible, yes. 

Intolerant, yes.

Biased, yes.

But it happens to completely stable people that will let messages they want to believe in twist their thinking and generate hatred. 

By metmike - Jan. 25, 2023, 10:17 p.m.
Like Reply

We easily  live in the best time of human history because the advances in technology (thanks mostly  to fossil fuels and ingenuity) have brought us incredible things that provide, what would otherwise be  an unattainable wonderful  quality of life compared to before the Industrial Revolution. 

Most of the good things have been amplified by many orders of magnitude. 

However, there are some bad things that have also reaped those same benefits.

Bad people/entities also have increased power to affect our lives in a negative way and create hatred. 

We can easily tune them out.........but we need to be able to recognize the wolves in sheep's clothing.

This is almost impossible at times when they are saying things that we want to hear and believe in.

They appear to be one of us. Fighting for the same ideology and political agenda that we line up with.

We almost never fact check or scrutinize their stuff because, it lines up with what we believe. So of course our brains tell us it's legit. 

People on the left and right saw the protesting in the Summer of 2020 differently. Same with the Jan. 6th Insurrection.

Same events, same evidence, same everything but they come away with 2 completely different opinions because 1 side wants to believe in A, B and C and the other side disagrees with A, B and C and believes in X, Y and Z.

And the hate for the other side has been increasing every year because the power of our communicating sources that bring us the information we want to believe in has also been increasing.

By 12345 - Jan. 25, 2023, 11:33 p.m.
Like Reply

THERE'S NOT A PERSON ON THIS EARTH, THAT I HATE ~ NOT A ONE!

I'M SOOOOO GLAD THE LORD COMMANDED US TO LOVE ONE ANOTHER & DIDN'T COMMAND US TO LIKE ONE ANOTHER, 'CAUSE THERE'A SLEW OF PEOPLE I DON'T LIKE!!!   LOL

By metmike - Jan. 26, 2023, 12:07 a.m.
Like Reply

Lots of extreme racially motivated hatred going on in the  South that MLK fought with PEACEFUL marches/protests.

No mental illness, just alot of deep seated racism and hatred for blacks that was TAUGHT and passed on for generations in the South. 

You can teach hatred and in most cases, that's where people learn it from.......a source that professes it. 

Parents, the media, popular commentators and/or high profile people that set bad examples.

Selma to Montgomery March

https://www.history.com/topics/black-history/selma-montgomery-march

35+ Powerful Martin Luther King Jr Quotes on Love, Peace & Activism

One of the greatest Americans by any measure, MLK sure had plenty of important words on society, social justice, and racial inequality. Here are the best Martin Luther King Jr quotes to

https://www.goodwall.io/blog/martin-luther-king-jr-quotes/

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

+++++++++++++++++++

We are lacking great leaders that teach principles like this to our nation in today's age.

By 12345 - Jan. 26, 2023, 1:20 p.m.
Like Reply

I'VE NEVER ALLOWED ANYONE TO SWAY MY THINKING/BELIEVING.  FROM THE GET-GO ON ANY SUBJECT, I HAVE MY MIND WELL OVER HALF MADE UP, ON WHICH WAY TO "TAKE" THE SUBJECT. 

THE ONLY TIMES I'VE EVER CHANGED MY MIND? WHEN A PERSON SHOWS THEIR TRUE COLORS. IN TIME, THEY ALL DO.

MYSELF? THE ONLY TIME I "SWITCH GEARS" FROM BEING MY TRUE COLOR, IS WHEN SOMEONE LIES TO ME, OR STEALS FROM ME.  LOL  LOOK OUT!! I COME UN-GLUED!

By metmike - Jan. 28, 2023, 1:13 p.m.
Like Reply

There is so much more to this with an extremely dysfunctional society when it comes to messaging.

Gate keepers of the messages are only trying to control what people think with massive propaganda and DISinformation.

Lying and misleading are accepted behaviors and there's no longer a code of ethics for behavior or expected treatment of other human being with respect. The gatekeepers continually use people for their agenda and as pawns in a game to control the realm they are interested in. The end justify the means.

Do you think with the fake worlds being intentionally created and imposed on society below and the consequences to people's psyche, that we might be providing the ideal environment for mental health issues in society today?

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/92612/

*The election was stolen from Trump

*The COVID vaccine kills more people than COVID and doesn't protect you

*The current climate optimum for life is a climate crisis and we're destroying the planet......there will be nothing left for our children.

*The beneficial gas, CO2 that's greening up the planet with it's booming biosphere.........is actually pollution and the fake green energy wrecking the planet because of crony capitalism and political agenda....will save it.

*It's better to have Ukraine obliterated and take us into WW3 to destroy Russia than to negotiate with Russia and concede to not letting Ukraine Join NATO to assure peace.

Finally a real expert telling us the truth about Covid19: Greta on CNN. Scaring and converting children into the climate crisis cult.  Eco-anxiety in children. Greta controlled as the United Nation's climate activist puppet. Failed predictions of the UN and past climate crisis religion high priests, like Al Gore. Showing the truth with actual data/observations vs telling people to listen to the fake science. May 2020. https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/52100/

By metmike - Jan. 29, 2023, 12:25 p.m.
Like Reply

Is this stuff unrelated?

Since the mentality of the gatekeeper's is to control people's thoughts using deceptive messages and lies and to replace religion based on faith in a powerful God based on principles that dictate  ethical behavior and justice towards fellow human beings....... with their fake climate religion based on wild, speculative and busted climate models(for 3+ decades) and extreme exaggerations to twist the current climate optimum into a climate crisis...........then the affect/correlation appears to be potentially VERY strong.

Everything caused by the climate crisis            

16 responses |               

Started by metmike - Dec. 22, 2022, 8:44 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/91691/

US Climate Is Getting Less Extreme, Not More            

19 responses |              

Started by metmike - Jan. 13, 2023, 12:37 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/92155/

This includes using the country and people of Ukraine for their agenda:

UKRAINE IS CORRUPT? GASP ~ WHO'DA THUNK?!            

14 responses |        

Started by 12345 - Jan. 25, 2023, 11:24 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/92517/