Covid Update II
38 responses | 0 likes
Started by mikempt - Nov. 21, 2023, 7:54 p.m.

I feel really good,no fevers,no sore throat. I still get a dry cough throughout the day. I never got a sinus headache or loss of appitite. The Covid seemed to infect my throat,no congestion in my lungs. I have all my energy back. I have to wait eight weeks to get my booster. It will be two weeks tomorrow. I got my flu shot on Fri

Comments
By metmike - Nov. 22, 2023, 9:20 a.m.
Like Reply

Wonderful to read this Mike!

Let's hope and pray that Larry's brother will also recover. 

And that everybody else stays boosted with the COVID vax and for the vulnerable, get diagnosed ASAP, then get Paxlovid that day if possible.

Previous COVID threads:

Covid-19 Update      

20 responses |               

Started by mikempt - Nov. 16, 2023, 7:25 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/100638/

Covid-19                        

5 responses |          

Started by mikempt - Nov. 14, 2023, 9:40 a.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/100566/

By metmike - Nov. 22, 2023, 9:23 a.m.
Like Reply

Larry,

How's your brother today?

By WxFollower - Nov. 23, 2023, 2:10 a.m.
Like Reply

Hey Mike,

Thanks for asking. He’s thankfully a bit better today. He had been pretty dehydrated. Thus, they’ve been giving him a good bit of fluids via IV. His urine output had been limited, but it fortunately picked up nicely this evening thankfully. Other signs are suggesting decent improvement. My bro is the comeback kid as he’s comeback a number of times, mainly from infections. I should sleep better tonight.

By metmike - Nov. 23, 2023, 8:18 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks much, Larry!

Keep us posted when you can. Happy Thanksgiving to you, your brother and your family!

By WxFollower - Nov. 23, 2023, 12:45 p.m.
Like Reply

YW. Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

I’m with my bro now. He’s doing pretty well today. He ate most of his breakfast, which I don’t take for granted due to general lack of appetite recently. Getting enough nutrition (in addition to fluids) has recently been a big problem due to lack of appetite. He especially could use more protein intake. He’s liked a particular protein drink in the past but lately hasn’t been too crazy about it. Unfortunately, he’s kind of picky. Regardless, I need to get some of those into his room and/or get the food service to serve it.
 He’s napping at this moment. His nurse today is great! I’m jealous. ;) The nurse does have me wearing a protective gown, which is overkill, since I’m already over my COVID and he likely got his 2.5 weeks ago. But I try to go with the flow and thus keep quibbling to a minimum. Losing my cool somewhat with the hateful NH CNA a few days ago was an exception. 

By metmike - Nov. 23, 2023, 2:31 p.m.
Like Reply

Thank you very much, Larry!

Reading your last post is a reminder of several things for us.

1. Don't take your good health for granted.  At some point, even healthy people get sick. Sick people get sicker.

2. The time that most people appreciate this is after they were really sick and are recovering which makes them want to celebrate over a physical state they thought was mediocre a few weeks earlier. 

3. Keep in mind the words of Bruce Lee

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/45623/#45732

Jul 9, 2018 · 

By WxFollower - Nov. 23, 2023, 3:57 p.m.
Like Reply

Hey Mike,

I just finished feeding him lunch here in hospital. He’s very slow, but “slow” is better than “no”. It took 1.5 hours just to get him to eat 25% of his meal! I was especially trying to get him to eat turkey because he has a significant protein deficit due to malnutrition. He ate ~40% of turkey and all of baked apples, but just tiny bit of green beans and stuffing. He drank ~6 oz water.

The nurse for breakfast fed him eggs, half the grits, and piece of toast. But that also took 1.5 hours!

Regarding breakfast lunch combo volume, this is best he’s done in 2 weeks! That’s how depleted he’s been. This is a big challenge. Keep in mind he has chronic back pain that can interfere. Also, there are psychological/mental issues interfering with his eating.

Urine output has been very low so far today. 

By metmike - Nov. 23, 2023, 4:26 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks for the update, Larry.

NOT getting worse is actually a good thing in a situation like this. Your immune system has  at the very least........CAUGHT UP to the rate of  viral replication and is on its way to defeating it. 

Compromised immune systems are not so reliable and he's got a long way to go. Having his best friend and brother there  supporting him, demonstrating that he cares.......just by being there couldn't be a better way for you to do the only thing you can do, Larry.

So frustrating to feel powerless, especially after you basically have so much control over everything that he does. Which is probably why the mean nurse is so irritating. 

Does he have diabetes? I can't remember for sure.

I mentioned Paxlovid on the other thread but if his kidneys are compromised, they will often suggest a lower dose or not take it at all if he's near kidney failure. I don't remember if you mentioned this and he's clearly not on dialysis. 

And you have to take it within 5 days.

++++++++++++++

On chronic back pain, would a heating pad help him?

I'm sure they/you know how to reposition him so the same area of his back doesn't get subjected to stress. 

I'm like you on the protein deficit. Your body needs protein to repair itself. Without it there's, at the very least going to be some atrophy of his lean body mass.

Your body will actually canabolize muscle to save vital organs and other parts needed to survive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catabolysis

Catabolysis is a biological process in which the body breaks down fat and muscle tissue in order to stay alive.  Catabolysis occurs only when there is no longer any source of protein, carbohydrate, or vitamin nourishment feeding all body systems; it is the most severe type of malnutrition.

Treatment

While catabolysis can be deadly over time, if the person is given medical treatment early enough, the effects of catabolysis can be reversed.  However, the person may require intravenousnutrition, a blood transfusion, and/or oxygen replenishment.  After that, it may be a few weeks to a few months before the person's muscle mass and fat deposits can build themselves up again; there is a possibility that they may never build back up, depending on the severity of the condition.

++++++++++++++++

If you can sneak in or get his favorite protein drink authorized that would help alot.  I'm sure this is not life threatening because hes getting great care but lost muscle mass  with his chronic physical issues will be extremely tough to get back. 

I was a competitive body builder/power lifter for 10+ years and my nickname in college used by everybody was "Protein" because of my diet.

In my last 2 years of college, I worked as a dietary supervisor at the University of Michigan Hospital. The girl that I dated had graduated in human nutrition and was a dietician and suggested I apply.

By WxFollower - Nov. 23, 2023, 4:54 p.m.
Like Reply

You’re welcome, Mike.

1. He’s a type 2 diab. But with him eating little in recent weeks, he’s been given little to no insulin recently.

2. He was on dial. til he got kid trans. Yeah, that may be why no antiviral for COVID.

3. We’ve tried heat on back before. Best thing is to be repositioned.

4. His low urine output today may be due to retention in bladder. I’d rather it be that than kidney slowing. They’ll scan bladder to see. He has Foley and I’m also concerned the placement of it wasn’t done properly as there was some bleeding yesterday.

By metmike - Nov. 23, 2023, 5:09 p.m.
Like Reply

Wow, kidney transplant. I must have forgotten about that.

That means the immunosuppresents to prevent the kidney rejection put him at an especially high risk for a severe outcome with COVID. 

You know this of course but I'm just mentioning it for readers to wrap their heads around the gravity of the situation.

Others may just think "Larry's brother is in the hospital with COVID"   but when you add that last factor, it takes on a much higher risk.

For sure Paxlovid in a kidney transplant patient is an extremely risky situation because Paxlovid is hard on the kidneys. You could end up killing the patient with the treatment!

Case Report: Nirmatrelvir/Ritonavir and Tacrolimus in a Kidney Transplant Recipient With COVID-19

https://www.aafp.org/pubs/afp/issues/2022/0600/p569.html

Optimizing the use of nirmatrelvir/ritonavir in solid organ transplant recipients with COVID-19: A review of immunosuppressant adjustment strategies

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2023.1150341/full

By metmike - Nov. 23, 2023, 5:11 p.m.
Like Reply

I would guess, that after a full recovery that his COVID antibodies will be thru the roof, though the immunosuppresent drug(s) might impact that. 

By WxFollower - Nov. 23, 2023, 6:56 p.m.
Like Reply

I brought him some protein drinks over an hour ago. I tried to get him to drink some over ice, but he wouldn’t touch it. It hard to tell what’s going on in his mind, but he’s his own worst enemy right now. Sad. :(

A few minutes ago he was crying “I will be dead” over and over thanks to paranoia and being delusional. He’s been extra confused the last few days. He thinks hospital staff is trying to kill him and wants me to take him despite today’s nurse being amazing and very nice.

I was supposed to have left hour ago because visiting hours over, but I can’t leave right now. I’m sure I’ll be kicked out soon, which is when I’ll go. He just fell asleep.

By metmike - Nov. 23, 2023, 10:57 p.m.
Like Reply

This is horrible for the poor guy and he's lucky to have you as his rock but there's nothing more painful as watching a person you love dearly, suffer and being powerless to stop the pain. Physical and emotional.

I'll die before my wife but I hope its the other way around so she doesn't have to suffer my loss.

Until her mom died in June 2022, her single(divorced) younger brother lived with her/their mom for the previous 20 years and took care of her in the house that we bought for them in 1991, after their dad died in 2002. 

Not that different than you taking care of your brother based on family and devotion/commitment/love.

Their mom passed away in June 2022. Deb is still not completely over it (they spoke every evening and at Thanksgiving today, she was still missed by all of us) but her brother, Craig still struggles with depression from the absence of his mom in the house. 

There's all kind of different relationships than a typical married couple growing old together. 

Your's is one of them. 

By WxFollower - Nov. 24, 2023, 4:14 a.m.
Like Reply

I’m writing this at 4AM. Due to paranoia, he thought nurse (a sweet young lady whom I met at 7:30PM before I left) was giving him a needle to make him bleed out at 1:30AM EST when it was just a Lovanox shot to treat and prevent blood clots. After giving him a bath and then trying for >hour to do other things to help him, she called me on his phone at 2:45AM to see if I could convince him that she should be trusted. (I had already told her to call me if needed.) He hasn’t been violent and fortunately has not been trying to pull out his IVs or catheter, but he did mention calling the police (he’s said things like that in past when paranoid). I’ve been talking to the nurse and my bro for >hour. She finally gave up and left room but wanted me to keep talking to him. I last prayed with my bro. My bro stopped responding and phone got disconnected. I’m going to try to get some more sleep. I took a Xanax to help me.

PS During that call, my bro asked me to go there and get him out of there….at 3AM! Of course, in reality, even if he were being discharged, I could never take him anywhere as he can travel only via stretcher/ambulance. And I can’t take care of him at home anymore.

4:28AM Also, due to being delusional, he thinks nurse is an actress and isn’t really a nurse. He used to listen a lot online to roleplay streamers. I think that’s where this is coming from. 

4:45AM He’s his own worse enemy. His mental condition is multiplying the difficulty in treating him. It is also making it hard for him to get enough nutrition because he can’t eat or drink on his own now. Thus he has to rely on others to feed him. This is sad and scarey. He’s potentially unintentionally killing himself. And ironically and fortunately he doesn’t want to die! He says they’re trying to kill him. I don’t know what to do anymore. I’ve been his caregiver for 8 years. Now 4:50AM EST. 

By metmike - Nov. 24, 2023, 9:53 a.m.
Like Reply

OMG!

This is horrible. 

Can you ask them to evaluate him for psychosis and medicate him with something to help?

https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/conditions/psychosis/treatment/

The med would obviously need to consider what he currently takes and his kidney transplant.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK519503/

++++++++++

I was reviewing all the medical literature on this and because of the kidney and current meds complicating any pharmacological, acute psychotic behavior treatment, the choice for the best med would be exactly dependent on these factors. 

1. Renal impacts

2. Interaction with current meds

3. Severity level of his psychosis

By metmike - Nov. 24, 2023, 10:33 a.m.
Like Reply

Not sure on how long and severe his abstinence from nutrition has been but at some point, you may want to consider a feeding tube if it's having an increasingly negative impact on his outcome.

https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/living-with-feeding-tube

I'm guessing that the assumption is he'll resume eating again as he recovers and hopefully, this is just a bump in the recovery road and it will stay on course.

By metmike - Nov. 26, 2023, 5:42 p.m.
Like Reply

How's your bro doing, Larry?

By WxFollower - Nov. 26, 2023, 7:58 p.m.
Like Reply

Hey Mike,

Thanks for asking. Regarding depression, he got back on Lexipro this AM after being off for 4 days. Regarding nutrition, he’s had reduced appetite and thus has been eating less for several weeks. We want to know why. Illness/meds often cause or at least contribute. But this goes back to before COVID. He’s still able to chew soft things well. Swallowing is fine as long as he’s not too drowsy. I brought some of his favorites to hospital, but so far he’s hardly touched them.

Yesterday he ate nothing til dinner, when he had one spoon of soup, 4 grapes, sips of ginger ale, and apple sauce. Today’s been better with eating for bfast half the eggs and a bite of grits, toast, etc. For lunch, he had only one spoon of spag/meat sauce, an old favorite. But he then had a full 8 oz protein drink, 8 oz water, and 2 oz ginger ale. Dinner: ate just few bites of served meal. So, then tried favorite soup, but stopped after few spoons due to nausea. I’ll try soup again soon. Just took nausea pill. If doesn’t work, will try for 2nd protein drink of day and maybe apple sauce later.

Any other advice regarding nutrition is most welcomed! I see you suggested feeding tube. I don’t know if he’s yet a good candidate for that or if it will ever be recommended. Hopefully that will never be needed and he’ll start eating at least a bit more soon.

*Edit: he’s on Foley catheter, which has caused lots of discomfort. That, itself, may be affecting appetite.

**Edit: I heated up his favorite soup. I was able to get him to have a few spoons…better than nothing but disappointing. He said he was nauseous, had gas, had pain from Foley. He said to put it away for “later”. He didn’t want protein drink now. But he drank 4-5 oz of water. He’s actually been doing pretty good with water today. He agreed to 2 grapes tonight! Didn’t expect. Had half an apple sauce with night meds.

All in all, not great but still sig. improvement vs yesterday (today had ~25 grams protein/~425 calories) and water intake pretty good.

By metmike - Nov. 27, 2023, 1:47 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks, Larry!
25 grams of protein compared to before is an improvement and close to 50% of what he needs.

sounds like your protein shake is the best way to get protein in him.

I wonder if their are any spices that he really likes that you can add to his food there?

as a diabetic, you track his sugars so he gets the right amount of insulin and are used to probably steering away from excessively high sugar food.

however, i wonder if adding some artificial sweetener  to any of his hospital food would make it more appealing?

++++++

Does he like peanut butter?

They sell a real high protein peanut powder that you could mix into a plain Greek yogurt.

Greek yogurt is strained and much higher in protein. You can mix other things in that you know that he likes. 

Cocoa powder or sugar free chocolate pudding powder mixed in the yogurt with a bit of sugar substitute if he likes chocolate.

or mix the protein powder into the yogurt.e

By WxFollower - Nov. 28, 2023, 12:51 a.m.
Like Reply

Mike said,

“however, i wonder if adding some artificial sweetener  to any of his hospital food would make it more appealing?

++++++

Does he like peanut butter?

They sell a real high protein peanut powder that you could mix into a plain Greek yogurt.”

———————-

Hey Mike,

I so appreciate all of your suggestions!

1. He doesn’t like artificial sweeteners, partiallly because they mess up his digestive system.

2. He loves peanut butter! He loves it on unsalted Saltine crackers as a snack. Hopefully I can get him to eat those again one day soon.

3. He used to eat yogurt with fruit on bottom regularly. But not lately. Otherwise, your idea sounds really good.

4. After yesterday’s decent day of intake of food/water, today (Monday) was a big setback. He ate only 1.5 apple sauces, 1 grape, one spoon of mashed potatoes, and not much water. He had a lot of pain today and he was more confused, which didn’t help. To compensate, they’ve reupped his IV fluids.

5. He’s getting one unit transfusion tonight. He lost some due to Foley. Sometimes placing them causes trauma/loss. He’s not down too much. So, hoping one’s enough. Pretty low risk procedure for one unit but there’s some risk even though screening is thorough.

By metmike - Nov. 28, 2023, 3:44 a.m.
Like Reply

Sorry to hear about additional issues.
His Life is what most people would consider a nightmare.

If he’s getting a transfusion, his hemoglobin and red blood cell metrics must be pretty low.

So that zaps your energy and makes you weak because hemoglobin is what transports oxygen.  Lack of good hemoglobin to capture and transport O2 around his body is exactly the worst thing for somebody with COVID. 

Low hemoglobin would certainly contribute To depression and lethargy. I would think adding a unit of blood might help his energy and mood from the added O2.

His IV can keep him hydrated and with the right electrolytes, so I wouldn’t think that him not drinking will be nearly as detrimental as no IV.

Since he loves peanut butter, let’s go back to the peanut powders.s

Both my wife and I use it to make really yummy food. 

She uses it to make milkshakes that also have chocolate protein powder.

I mix it in yogart that I drainEd or Greek yogurt already drained, along with cocoa, chocolate pudding mix and artificial sweetener.eo

Im not saying to use any particular item except to try the peanut powder because it’s loaded with protein and if he loves the taste of pbutter.

Mix it in milk or yogurt or ice cream. Just an idea. I didn’t know it existed 2 years ago and now, I mix huge amounts into my yogurt every night.

It won’t hurt my feelings if he doesnt  like any of it, especially since you already know his favorites but can’t get him to eat.

here’s an idea. Does he have any favorite music?

One of the best ways to boost a depressed persons mood is to play their favorite music.

That boost also happens to people not depressed!

By metmike - Dec. 10, 2023, 2:32 p.m.
Like Reply

How's your brother doing,  Larry?

By WxFollower - Dec. 17, 2023, 9:53 p.m.
Like Reply

Hey Mike,

Thanks for asking. Things went south due to another nasty UTI found 11/30. I was with him that night and noticed he was acting differently and that he was urinating very little. His BP became too low due to the bad UTI. His COVID appears to have largely been a non factor for awhile.

Fortunately, they stabilized him quickly. His BP hasn’t been low since. He then went into a deep sleep for two days, which he needed. He thankfully got back to normal urination.

Almost two weeks ago, they put in an NG tube for nutrition/meds. He’s still got it but they aren’t longterm. So, he’ll either need to go back to oral (fingers crossed because he’s still quite confused) or he may be considered for a PEGG. He’s on two antibiotics for now. His vitals are good but he’s often sleeping. Also, he’s got a lot of swelling in his arms and legs. He’s gradually increased his alertness at times and even talks a little from time to time. He even got a little silly with the nurse today, a great thing to see.

By metmike - Dec. 17, 2023, 11:24 p.m.
Like Reply

Great to read that he's recovering. This has been an extremely long lived illness.

Is the swelling in his arm and legs from fluid retention? Hopefully his transplanted kidney isn't being compromised.

I'm in the very early stages of kidney issues with stage 3, moderate chronic kidney disease.

My GFR is sometimes down near 50 and my BUN has been elevated for a decade.

My kidneys will probably outlast whatever ends up killing me but I recently discovered and am taking a new supplement that has a good track record, helping patients with end stage kidney disease, stage 5 and kidney health in general, as well as other benefits, including effective at helping the liver to recover. 

You can read more about it. It's extremely well tolerated with no reported side effects.  There are MANY more studies besides this information.

N-acetylcysteine attenuates the progression of chronic renal failure

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/7545414_N-acetylcysteine_attenuates_the_progression_of_chronic_renal_failure

The Effectiveness of N-acetylcysteine in Alleviating Kidney Dysfunction in Ifosfamide-treated Rats

https://openurologyandnephrologyjournal.com/VOLUME/13/PAGE/21/

What are the Health Benefits of NAC (N-Acetyl Cysteine)?

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/nac-benefits

By WxFollower - Dec. 18, 2023, 12:16 a.m.
Like Reply

Hey Mike,

I don’t know what the swelling is from. I thought it may have been due to malnutrition (protein) and still wonder about that because his protein levels in his blood are still pretty low. His transplanted kidney seems to still be working pretty well. Though not perfect, his heart seems to be working well enough.

By metmike - Dec. 18, 2023, 5:57 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks, Larry.

Im a firm believer in finding non prescription supplements that assist our bodies to promote better health. Especially a body with compromised health.

I have 2 orthopedic docs that would love to do shoulder and knee replacement surgeries on me…..they make a bundle on that type of surgery.

I don’t have much cartilige left but found that mega dosing with hyaluronic acid (that makes up 50% of our synovial fluid providing lubrication to our joints that gets even more depleted with age in people  with arthritis AND glucosamine combined with sulfur compounds has saved all my natural joints.

wish I didn’t destroy them with an especially intense decade of powerlifting and bodybuilding and having Eylers danlos and a lupus like autoimmune disorder but I finally got smart and learned to preserve what’s left with an amazing, wonderful regime keeping me going.that includes regular steam saunas at home with a cheap portable unit that I’ve shown here several times.

The most awesome thing about the steam saunas is that cranking it up crates many of the benefits of vigorous exercise…….without over use of worn,out joints that are no longer able to do repetitive motions!

when your bro recovers, I would consider a portable steam sauna if he’s able to sit in a chair unassisted and willing to do that sort of thing.

I strongly recommend it for everybody of all ages and health For wonderful, 100% scientifically/medically proven benefits.

its an extremely overlooked, under appreciated way to benefit our bodies……those that can do it.

Taking the just discovered NAC supplememt mentioned before js just applying that same educated/informed regime mentality to target kidney, liver and heart health.

There are a dozen+ other key supplements especially Omega 3-6-9 oils, vit D and many more. I have very expensive urine since much of it is overkill and goes UN absorbed but consider that as Insurance of covering everything possible based on research even if some is not solidly proven.

By WxFollower - Dec. 18, 2023, 1:23 p.m.
Like Reply

Hey Mike,

Thanks as always for your advice. We both take supplements. I take a bunch including CoQ10, Lysine, Beta Sitosterol, Resveratrol, Omega 3 fish oil, Ester C, Vit B6, men’s multivitamin for over 50, and Vit D3.

Morning update on bro:

Good news: Speech therapist (ST) gave him some apple sauce, ice chips, and water. Did well though said water tasted like iron. Thus, feeding tube going to come out today and putting him on liquid diet (with full assistance)! Actually said he was hungry! I can’t recall last time he even said that. Weeks ago? Don’t want to read too much into that, but hopefully good sign for later as appetite has been lacking and it is crucial.

By metmike - Dec. 18, 2023, 4:28 p.m.
Like Reply

You mentioned some wonderful supplements, Larry!

Your last post sounds the most promising of any post in this thread!

By WxFollower - Dec. 28, 2023, 1 a.m.
Like Reply

We love being with each order to no limit whatsoever. But unfortunately it unexpectedly happened a couple of hours ago. He came back from a lot of things. But the comeback kid finally met his match. As immensely as we enjoyed each other’s company, he was a very sick man for a long time with lots of issues. Thus, I think he’s in a better place now. Plus he went in his sleep very peacefully with no struggle, whatsoever. He will be sorely missed. These were some of the best years of my life. I feel we’ll meet up again in the next life. 

By 7475 - Dec. 28, 2023, 9:11 a.m.
Like Reply

My condolences Larry.

You and your brother had a remarkable relationship.

I lost my wife 2 weeks ago 

Your brother will help you stay strong in that mysterious kind of way.

John

By cutworm - Dec. 28, 2023, 11:06 a.m.
Like Reply

My condolences Larry and John.

May your loved one's rest in peace.

Covid Update II
0 likes
By metmike - Dec. 28, 2023, 1:17 p.m.
Like Reply

I'm so sorry to hear about your profound losses, Larry and John.

We feel especially connected to your brother, Larry. With everybody here following his progress and rooting for him to get better.

Please pray for Larry/WxFollower and John and their families as they recuperate from the devastating losses of cherished loved ones in their lives in 2024.

Dad and I pray the scriptural rosary every day that I'm with him and we will make this the intention that we pray for the next 2 days that I'm here.

+++++++++++++++++===

Please join me in prayer for these 2 dearly departed loved ones and their families.......regardless of whether you're Catholic or not.

https://www.philadelphiacatholiccemeteries.com/blog/catholic-prayers-for-grief

What Catholic Prayer Do You Say When Someone Dies?

While Catholicism is defined very much by its strict adherence to tradition, there is truly only one "official" prayer for the dead. The Catholic Catechism states quite clearly that the Eucharistic Sacrifice is considered the primary and most formal form of Catholic mourning prayer. Yet this isn't the only common type of organized and "official" prayer that is said for the dead; there are, indeed, quite a few others that are very commonly recited.

One of these is the traditional prayer read at the graveside during a traditional burial. This is commonly referred to as the Prayer for the Dead. The origin of this prayer is likely lost to time, but the most common wording, as stated by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, is the following, which is typically read aloud by the priest. The boldface "R" at the end indicates the response of those in attendance.

In your hands, O Lord,
we humbly entrust our brothers and sisters.
In this life you embraced them with your tender love;
deliver them now from every evil
and bid them eternal rest.

The old order has passed away:
welcome them into paradise,
where there will be no sorrow, no weeping or pain,
but fullness of peace and joy
with your Son and the Holy Spirit
forever and ever.
R/. Amen.

Another common prayer for Catholic grief that's often associated with funerals and is also read by the graveside, again as recounted by the Conference of Bishops, is:

Lord Jesus Christ,
by your own three days in the tomb,
you hallowed the graves of all who believe in you
and so made the grave a sign of hope
that promises resurrection
even as it claims our mortal bodies.

Grant that our brother/sister, N., may sleep here in peace
until you awaken him/her to glory,
for you are the resurrection and the life.
Then he/she will see you face to face
and in your light will see light
and know the splendor of God,
for you live and reign forever and ever.
R/.
 Amen.

What About a Catholic Prayer for the Bereaved Family?

Catholic prayers for grief go farther than simply commending the spirit of the departed to the next world. Many prayers are also used to provide comfort to mourners as well. Here's a Catholic mourning prayer that directly prays for those who have been left behind:

Lord God,
you are attentive to the voice of our pleading.
Let us find in your Son
comfort in our sadness,
certainty in our doubt,
and courage to live through this hour.
Make our faith strong
through Christ our Lord.
R/.
 Amen.

Another common prayer for mourners is the following:

Lord,
[Name of the deceased] is gone now from this earthly dwelling,
and has left behind those who mourn his/her absence.
Grant that we may hold his/her memory dear,
never bitter for what we have lost
nor in regret for the past,
but always in hope of the eternal Kingdom
where you will bring us together again.
Through Christ our Lord.
R/.
 Amen.

Finally, there are prayers meant to comfort those left behind after the most tragic death imaginable - that of a young child. An example of such a prayer is the following:

O Lord, whose ways are beyond understanding,
listen to the prayers of your faithful people:
that those weighed down by grief
at the loss of this little child
may find reassurance in your infinite goodness.
Through Christ our Lord.
R/.
  Amen.

By metmike - Dec. 28, 2023, 1:30 p.m.
Like Reply

Larry and his brother followed the Jewish faith and prayed daily. He might  especially be grateful to us for saying this prayer and others that are used in his faith.

What is the Jewish Prayer for the Dead?

The Jewish Prayer for the Dead is a lesser-known prayer called El Malei Rachamim, “God, full of Mercy.” A cantor once told me that if you want a roomful of Jews to cry, just chant the first line of it. Even if they don’t know exactly what it is, they have heard it at the saddest moments of their lives, and they’ll cry. (I don’t recommend doing that, I’m telling the story to illustrate the power of this prayer.)

The text of the prayer, in English:

God, full of mercy, who dwells in the heights, provide a sure rest upon the wings of the Divine Presence, within the range of the holy, pure and glorious, whose shining resemble the sky’s, to the soul of (Hebrew name of deceased) son of (Hebrew name of his father) for a charity was given to the memory of his soul. Therefore, the Master of Mercy will protect him forever, from behind the hiding of his wings, and will tie his soul with the rope of life. The Everlasting is his heritage, and he shall rest peacefully upon his lying place, and let us say: Amen.

For more about Jewish funeral practices and memorials, see these articles:

Jewish Social Skills: Death & Mourning

Jewish Funeral – Why not send flowers?

Five Tips for Shiva Visits

What to Wear to a Jewish Funeral

Can I Go to Shiva Instead?

What to Say When Someone Dies

Death and the Jew by Choice

Mourning for a Non-Jewish Loved One

What is the Mourner’s Kaddish?

Jews at a Christian Funeral: Some Thoughts

Mortality and the Jews

By WxFollower - Dec. 28, 2023, 11:12 p.m.
Like Reply

cutworm, John, and Mike,

Thanks very much for your condolences. 

John,

I’m very sorry for the recent loss of your wife. I hope you’re able to stay strong during this very difficult time.

By metmike - Dec. 29, 2023, 2:13 a.m.
Like Reply

Dad and I prayed the Luminous mysteries (dedicated by Pope John Paul)@of their of  the scriptural rosary this evening for the families of Larry and John.

John,

Is there an obituary to share,  or is that too personal?

We would like to read about your brother too, Larry.

If you feel like sharing it.

By WxFollower - Dec. 29, 2023, 7:28 a.m.
Like Reply

Hey Mike,

1. Thanks for the prayer. I very much appreciate your thoughtfulness!

2. I appreciate you wanting to know more about him, but I never post anything private like that.

By 7475 - Dec. 29, 2023, 9:12 a.m.
Like Reply

Thank you ,Mike , for your thoughts and prayers but I too will forgo a posting of my wife's obituary for personal and family reasons.

My wife had been rebilitating from a leg amputation which was brought on by diabetic complications. She , for some unknown reason ,contracted  a couple of infections which ravaged her body in short order resulting in multiple cardiac arrests which finally and quickly took her. The site of amputation had healed nicely and she was progressing with her prosthetic device and with other aspects so this came as a surprise/shock.

John

By metmike - Dec. 29, 2023, noon
Like Reply

I completely understand the personal aspect of an obituary and things of that nature.

John,

Your description was very helpful and what I was aiming at with the obituary request.  It helps us  to feel empathy for other human beings when we are connected to their story.

When we know who they are or who they were. What they mean/meant to their family, friends and communities. Not just numbers or names on a computer screen.

I won't go into my usual screed with a discussion that connects this mentality to how we relate to other human beings that can just be numbers on a computer screen when we don't know them.