2023 Remembering 9-11-01
19 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Sept. 11, 2023, 12:33 p.m.

What were you doing  that entire day during and after the attacks happened?

Timeline: The September 11 terrorist attacks

https://millercenter.org/remembering-september-11/september-11-terrorist-attacks

Comments
By metmike - Sept. 11, 2023, 5:04 p.m.
Like Reply

Previous threads, since I started as moderator of MarketForum.
Wish they wouldn’t have destroyed the old forum records/threads because us active traders were posting like crazy to each other here that day as all the markets all halted trading immediately after the first WORLD TRADE CENTER  building was hit. This was before all the markets went electronic.

Within  a couple of minutes after the first plane hit, somebody posted it here.

Previous threads on the worst attack on our country in history:

Remembering 9-11-01 in 2022            

Started by metmike - Sept. 11, 2022, 7:09 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/88759/

What were you doing the morning of 9-11-01?            

16 responses |          

Started by metmike - Sept. 10, 2021, 10:17 p.m.          

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/74759/

Remembering September 11, 2001            

6 responses |              

Started by metmike - Sept. 11, 2020, 7:39 p.m.   

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/59035/

September 11th, 2001.            

3 responses |       

Started by TimNew - Sept. 11, 2019, 6:55 a.m.  

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/38724/

September 11, 2018 This day in History            

6 responses |                

Started by metmike - Sept. 10, 2018, 7:40 p.m.        

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/12684/

By mcfarm - Sept. 12, 2023, 6:46 a.m.
Like Reply

of course our leader was out of the country telling lies. He did make a statement later in the day from AR? MAYBE. He just had to make 9-11-01 about who else, well Joe Biden. He claimed he was at the site the day after. And the devastation was soooo bad. He saw terrible things. Of course he was no where near the site that day and was busy making speeches on the Senate floor  more than likely filled with more Biden crap about what great things the Bidens do for other people. We got a real piece of work with this guy.

By metmike - Sept. 12, 2023, 7:22 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks, mcfarm!

I can tell that you watched FOX yesterday.

I caught part of it.

They made the shows about how/why Biden/Harris were not being patriotic or sincere enough on such a solemn anniversary in our country’s history.

Not like them……..marking the occasion by relentlessly attacking the current president and VP and turning it into an extremely divisive political exercise all night long.

On 9-11-23, while commemorating the anniversary did Biden and Harris spend much of their day attacking Rs?

On 9-11-23, FOX in the evening, commemorated the historical event by focusing attacks (all night long) on the current president and VP and why they were not patriotic enough.

Good example FOX! Attacking the leaders of the other party all night long is what all patriotic Americans should do on the anniversary of September 11th. And viewers, after watching FOX to get the news told to them the way they want to hear it, also think that’s a great way to mark the anniversary,

Make  it about hateful and divisive politics, not about uniting as 1 country To mark the losses of fellow Americans from both parties!

Out of 365 days a year, FOX couldn’t even devote 1 show on 1 important day to put aside the extreme politics to do that!

Instead, spending the night demonstrating the quintessential example of what blatant  hypocrite’s do….. so that their viewers can learn it and apply that to their world to make it a more divisive, ANGRY place based on FOX in the evening religion.

By mikempt - Sept. 12, 2023, 12:16 p.m.
Like Reply

I was in the Reserves,I got called that evening,was deployed a week later to groud zero.

By mcfarm - Sept. 12, 2023, 1 p.m.
Like Reply

so all you want are facts. Where did Fox miss that. Is Biden the first President since 9-11 to not even show his face? Believe he was. Now there might be several reasons and one of the biggest his that his own staff cannot trust him in public...Why? You know why. I know why. Everyone who has a thinking brain knows why. The incompetent fool will run his mouth, steal a brave soldiers valor, and spread more lies about his past....just like did in Alsaka as they drugged him off the stage,,,,,,,again. This is not remotely about Fox, this is about what a bunch of corrupt leaders are doing to this country. The people will figure it out, they usually do it sooner than later. Just sad this time has taken so long.

By metmike - Sept. 12, 2023, 1:10 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks mcfarm,

Doubling down on the wrong mentality for a sincere tribute to the lost lives because of the attacks  on 9-11-23 because of your FOX inspired anger and hatred for the current president is in the wrong thread X2. 

Why don't you tell us something about your feelings with regards to 9-11 and how it impacted you that day.

By metmike - Sept. 12, 2023, 1:20 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks, Mike!

++++++++++++++

9-11-23 impacted all of us, even those not in NYC that day.

Traders had an additional impact on their professional/trading lives.

How September 11 Affected the U.S. Stock Market

https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0911/how-september-11-affected-the-u.s.-stock-market.aspx

The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and the Nasdaq did not open for trading on Tuesday morning, Sept. 11, 2001 as terrorists attacked the World Trade Center and Pentagon. First, American Airlines Flight 11 crashed into the North Tower of the World Trade Center at 8:46 a.m. and United Airlines Flight 175 hit the South Tower at 9:03 a.m. The towers are just a few blocks from Wall Street. Then later that morning, a passenger jet crashed into the Pentagon, and a fourth hijacked jet bound for Washington, D.C., was brought down by passengers in Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

The attacks heavily damaged or destroyed two of the most recognized symbols of American financial and military power, causing nearly 3,000 deaths and sending tremors throughout the stock market and the economy.

Key Takeaways

• The terrorist attack on Sept. 11, 2001 was marked by a sharp plunge in the stock market, causing a $1.4 trillion loss in market value.
  • The first week of trading after the attacks saw the S&P 500 fall more than 14%, while gold and oil rallied.
  • The industries most directly impacted were airlines, whose flights were subsequently grounded, and insurers, who paid out billions of dollars in claims, including to victims and property owners.
  • The U.S. stock market has risen dramatically over the past 20 years despite the relatively short-term sell-off after the Sept. 11 attack.
  • The stock market remains vulnerable to a major disruption, 22 years after Sept. 11.
  • The fallout from Sept. 11 may weigh on the U.S. economy and taxpayers for decades after spending trillions of dollars on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Market Reaction  

Anticipating market chaos, panic selling and a disastrous loss of value in the wake of the attacks, the NYSE and the Nasdaq remained closed until Sept. 17, the longest shutdown since the Great Depression.1 Moreover, many trading, brokerage, and other financial firms had offices in the World Trade Center and were unable to function in the immediate aftermath of the loss of life and collapse of both towers.

On the first day of NYSE trading after Sept. 11, the Dow Jones fell 684 points, a 7.1% decline, setting a record at the time for the biggest loss in the exchange's history for one trading day. (This has since been eclipsed by the market reaction during the global coronavirus pandemic). The close of trading that Friday ended a week that saw the biggest losses in NYSE history. The Dow Jones Average was down more than 14%, the S&P 500 Index plunged 11.6%, and the Nasdaq dropped 16%. An estimated $1.4 trillion in value was lost during this period.

By metmike - Sept. 12, 2023, 1:27 p.m.
Like Reply
By metmike - Sept. 12, 2023, 1:30 p.m.
Like Reply

THE 9/11
COMMISSION

https://www.9-11commission.gov/report/911Report.pdf

585 pages long!

++++++++++++

Report of the
Commodity Futures Trading Commission
on the Futures Industry Response to
September 11th (52 pages)

https://www.cftc.gov/sites/default/files/files/opa/opa9-11reportprintversion.pdf

+++++++++++++++

Impact of the Terrorist Attacks
The futures industry demonstrated preparedness, resilience, and flexibility in the
aftermath of the attacks. NYMEX and NYBOT, despite being directly and severely impacted by the September 11th attacks, successfully responded by following established contingency plans and/or by skillfully adapting to unforeseen challenges and new operational realities. NYMEX initially resumed trading on Friday, September 14th, using internet access to its electronic trading platform. It resumed open outcry trading on Monday, September 17th, after remarkable efforts to restore the functionality of its floor trading facility located only one block from the World Trade Center. NYBOT, whose facilities in 4 World Trade Center were destroyed, moved quickly into a well-conceived, well-resourced backup facility in Queens, complete with trading rings, and resumed its open-outcry trading operations on Monday, September 17th.
The Chicago exchanges were not physically impacted and, after closing their markets to observe an industry wide day of recognition on September 12th, resumed trading in all but their equity-based contracts on September 13th. Trading by all exchanges in contracts based on U.S. equities was suspended until the reopening of the underlying stock markets.
All clearing organizations for the futures exchanges and the banks that they utilize were prepared to function as soon as the exchanges reopened. Clearing operations were fully successful upon this resumption of trading. Virtually all reporting firms (futures commission merchants, clearing members, and foreign brokers) that are required to submit large trader data to the CFTC were able to do so as soon as trading activities resumed. This was accomplished through either their main computing facilities or backup locations. The CFTC’s market
surveillance large trader automated computer system was not disabled in any way.

Implications of the World Trade Center Attack for the Public Health and Health Care Infrastructures

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1447752/

By metmike - Sept. 12, 2023, 1:36 p.m.
Like Reply

I was on a frenzied trading floor(London) when 9/11 broke – here’s what I witnessed    

https://theconversation.com/i-was-on-a-frenzied-trading-floor-when-9-11-broke-heres-what-i-witnessed-167602 

By metmike - Sept. 12, 2023, 3:14 p.m.
Like Reply

NYBOT Returns to Manhattan, Completing Recovery from 9/11

https://www.americanbanker.com/-192412-1.html

NYBOT: Going Home

By Larry Dignan-                    

https://www.eweek.com/security/nybot-going-home/

The exchange was scheduled to move back to downtown New York over Labor Day weekend, almost exactly two years after its operations were uprooted by the attacks on the World Trade Center.

Aided by $23.3 million in city and state reconstruction funds, the board will operate alongside the New York Mercantile Exchange (NYMEX) at a facility in Lower Manhattan along the Hudson River. The two exchanges are similar, although NYMEX trades energy and metals while NYBOT trades commodities such as cocoa, coffee, sugar and orange juice. The Mercantile Exchange vacated more than 13,000 square feet of space on its trading floor for NYBOT to install miles of cable, data centers and trading kiosks. That means two commodity exchanges, on one floor.

++++++++++++

Stephen Gribbin

tpsnoedroSf0taegg69832m9a1alu2b105l4gt 27lea9D73,2950e2crt i  ·

4 World Trade Center.

Opening in 1975, at only 9 stories tall 4 WTC would always live in the shadow of its 110 story siblings, but inside the relatively ordinary looking exterior it held quite an expensive secret.
4 World Trade Center was home to one of the largest commodities exchanges in the country, with hundreds of millions of dollars changing hands here every day, trading everything from wheat to cotton, coffee to oil and metals.

The basement of 4 World Trade Center also housed vaults used to store gold and silver bullion. Published articles about precious metals recovered from the World Trade Center in the aftermath of the 9/11 attack mention that around $300 million worth of gold was recovered.

4 World Trade Center was the main street level entrance to the Mall At The World Trade Center, the largest indoor shopping mall in Manhattan, and was also home to Gemellis' a large bar and restaurant.

It even made the big screen. The main orange juice trading scene towards  the end of the 1983 Eddie Murphy and Dan Aykroyd film Trading Places was filmed inside one of the large trading floors on the 8th and 9th floors of 4 World Trade Center.

++++++++++++++

Best scene ever for us OJ traders-Larry-TJC (except the market price goes way beyond the limits in the movie-impossible)

Orange Juice Trade - Trading Places

https://tinyurl.com/muctj53k

By ab - Sept. 12, 2023, 3:22 p.m.
Like Reply

I was the first to post i believe. 

By metmike - Sept. 12, 2023, 3:56 p.m.
Like Reply

"I was the first to post i believe."

I must be hallucinating from posting here too much (-:

Incredibly wonderful to read you, ab!

Whatever you type next is............our post of the week (-:

You were the person that made me aware!  I ran to the TV and watched the rest of it, including the 2nd  plane hitting live. The NY traded commodities markets were closed the rest of the week(I don't remember about the CBT/CME) but we continued to post here.

I remember almost every thing that I did that entire day in great detail(it shows that if the human brain is stimulated the right way, it's capable of learning/retaining MUCH more than how we use it today). 

For traders stuck in a position until the following Monday, they either got clobbered or lucky.  Fortunately, September isn't a good weather market month, so I was flat. 

Nothing compared to the shattered lives of the families impacted by 9-11.

By mcfarm - Sept. 12, 2023, 4:27 p.m.
Like Reply

I never talk about {I} when it comes to 9-11. Incredibly irresponsible imho for a lowly farmer or the President {Biden or Obama or probably the only 2 with the insides to lower themselves and make it all about themselves. It was one of the saddest days in our history and for many it remains. Some may not know that loved ones are still passing from the remains of that day. We are far better to respect them and their wishes and wants and not use the I pronoun when 9-11 comes up. There was a moment after 9-11 when we were sort of united after 9-11. Now that felt good.

By metmike - Sept. 12, 2023, 5:04 p.m.
Like Reply

"It was one of the saddest days in our history and for many it remains. Some may not know that loved ones are still passing from the remains of that day. We are far better to respect them and their wishes and wants and not use the I pronoun when 9-11 comes up. There was a moment after 9-11 when we were sort of united after 9-11. Now that felt good"

Extremely well said, mcfarm! 

This thread on the trading forum, has dwelled on the trading impact instead of the human element, which I think is an appropriate angle because of our unique and shared connection to the event at MarketForum,  as people that have professions or interests that follow/use/need the markets that were extremely disrupted from that horrific event. 

But you put it into the best perspective, mcfarm, thanks!

Whatever minor inconvenience or loss or emotional suffering that most of us suffered is nothing compared to the families and city of NY.

NY and the U.S. came back strong. Mayor Giulliani was a legit hero then. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudy_Giuliani_during_the_September_11_attacks

"America's Mayor"

In the wake of the attacks, Giuliani was hailed by many for his leadership during the crisis. When polled just six weeks after the attack Giuliani received a 79% approval rating among New York City voters, a dramatic increase over the 36% rating he had received a year earlier — seven years into his administration.[23][24]

By joj - Sept. 12, 2023, 6:39 p.m.
Like Reply

The first phone call President Obama made after taking out Osama Bin Laden was to George Bush to let him know we got him.  It was Bush who stood on the ruins (was it the day after or 2-3 days?) of the World Trade Center and said that those who knocked down this building would be held responsible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7OCgMPX2mE&ab_channel=AmericanRhetoric.com

By metmike - Sept. 12, 2023, 7:11 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks joj, that was powerful!

By tjc - Sept. 12, 2023, 9:47 p.m.
Like Reply

Forum  I humbly make what some might consider a response to a political comment, but were it not for fact, my response is apolitical--

FACTS:  1.  Biden is the first to NOT offer sympathy for OUR NATION'S tragedy, instead hiding in Alaska AND speaking/bumbling, until his staff got him out of there  (Obummer didn't like it, but he or his staff remembered)

2.  Biden just 'negotiated' the WORST 'swap' EVER for 'prisoners'

3.  Biden allowed the 'swap' to be announced on 9-11

4.  Fox, perhaps sensationalizing,  told truth, CNN, etc 'covered' for old joe (I wont even capitalize his name)

More to the point OF THIS TRADING SITE---  For several minutes, before the actual impact was known,  sp futures were trading even after the first news came out.  I had several  minutes, but 'failed' to initiate a sp PUT.  My nontrading law ptr even said, 'what are you waiting for, this is going to cripple USA'

Yes, even a 'seasoned' trader can become 'paralyzed' by the event happening on national TV.

MetMike, i 'respectfully' totally disagree with your assessment of Monday and the news media coverage.  I 'still' hold high regard for THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT, but not its current inhabitant.  (I would prefer your aging father, with the advise of his informed, knowledgeable son, were the Commander in Chief)

By metmike - Sept. 13, 2023, 1:10 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks much, tjc,

I respect and accept your sincere view.  I also agree 100% about the current president not being qualified.

Everybody already knows my views from earlier in the thread and I appreciated you sharing yours and speaking up to disagree with me.

That's a really good thing when done respectfully, like the true gentleman that you are, tjc.

mcfarm,

It appears that I'm outnumbered on this one (-: