September 11, 2018 This day in History
6 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Sept. 10, 2018, 7:40 p.m.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11

OK, I'll just pick hurricanes today and let you pick the real good stuff.

Please note the dates on all these historic hurricanes over the past 2 weeks on this subject and remember them, later this week and over the weekend,  when you hear about current Hurricane Florence being caused by climate change or, if it stalls and causes 2 feet of rain..........unprecedented.

Give me an example of an extreme weather event in the last 10 years and I can probably show you one similar to it or worse in the past. 

Comments
By GunterK - Sept. 10, 2018, 9 p.m.
Like Reply

September 10, 2001.

Donald Rumsfeld announces that the Pentagon has misplaced (or finds missing) 2.3 Trillion Dollars.

That was 1 day before  the 9/11 attacks

By carlberky - Sept. 10, 2018, 9:22 p.m.
Like Reply

I can't believe nobody jumped on this one.

1985 – ( non-Hall-of-famer ) Pete Rose breaks Ty Cobb's baseball record for most career hits with his 4,192nd hit.

By metmike - Sept. 10, 2018, 10:43 p.m.
Like Reply

I wanted to pick that one too Carl but saved it for you.......seriously, I was thinking you would pick it!

By silverspiker - Sept. 11, 2018, 12:33 a.m.
Like Reply

On 11 September 2002, the first anniversary of the terrorist attacks on New York’s World Trade Center towers, the numbers selected in  the Pick 3 of the New York state lottery drawings were 

9-1-1.

By metmike - Sept. 11, 2018, 11:11 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks silverspiker!

2001 – The September 11 attacks, a series of coordinated suicide attacks killing 2,996 people using four aircraft hijacked by 19 members of al-Qaeda. Two aircraft crash into the World Trade Center in New York City, a third crashes into The Pentagon in Arlington County, Virginia, and a fourth into a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_11_attacks

A montage of eight images depicting, from top to bottom, the World Trade Center towers burning, the collapsed section of the Pentagon, the impact explosion in the South Tower, a rescue worker standing in front of rubble of the collapsed towers, an excavator unearthing a smashed jet engine, three frames of video depicting American Airlines Flight 77 hitting the Pentagon

By metmike - Sept. 11, 2018, 11:21 a.m.
Like Reply

Several years after the attacks,  we were looking at some honeymoon pictures that I took in August 1985. 

We did some traveling thru Southeast Canada and the Northeast US, that included a day in NYC with a boat tour and lots of pictures. 

2 profoundly strange things.

1. The Statue of Liberty was being renovated. The pictures show just a massive scaffolding from the ground to above the top...........but you can barely make out the statue inside. One might think "bummer, we can't get any good pictures of the Statue of Liberty"  Instead, we got the most unique pictures of her in history. 

2. The Twin Towers pictures. I had no idea what I was taking a picture of at the time.