Political Divisiveness/Trump
8 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Sept. 19, 2022, 6:52 p.m.

Kinzinger on GOP-majority House: They’re going to demand a Biden impeachment vote every week

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3650507-kinzinger-on-gop-majority-house-theyre-going-to-demand-a-biden-impeachment-vote-every-week/

Rep. Adam Kinzinger(R-Ill.) in a new interview predicts that GOP lawmakers will demand a vote to impeach President Biden“every week” if Republicans take control of the House in the midterms.

Kinzinger, a frequent critic of former President Trump and his allies on Capitol Hill, compared previous efforts by congressional Republicans to what he predicts “crazies” will attempt to do under a GOP majority.

Rep. Adam Kinzinger(R-Ill.) in a new interview predicts that GOP lawmakers will demand a vote to impeach President Biden“every week” if Republicans take control of the House in the midterms. 

Kinzinger, a frequent critic of former President Trump and his allies on Capitol Hill, compared previous efforts by congressional Republicans to what he predicts “crazies” will attempt to do under a GOP majority. 

“Back before we had all the crazies here — just some crazies — you know, every vote we took, we had to somehow defund ObamaCare. … You’ll remember, right when we took over it was we need to do the omnibus bill, but we’re not going to vote for it because it doesn’t defund ObamaCare,” Kinzinger said on CNN’s “The Axe Files with David Axelrod,” released Monday.

“That’s going to look like child’s play in terms of what [Rep.] Marjorie Taylor Greene [R-Ga.] is going to demand of [House GOP Leader] Kevin McCarthy[Calif.]. They’re going to demand an impeachment vote on President Biden every week,” he added.

Comments
By metmike - Sept. 19, 2022, 6:55 p.m.
Like Reply

Kinsinger is somebody that can think clearly!

Kinzinger: Trump’s Documents Grab ‘Is Disgusting… No President Should Act This Way’

The GOP congressman also accused members of his party of hypocrisy for chanting "Lock Her Up" about Hillary Clinton while also defending the former president

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/kinzinger-trump-documents-disgusting-1234583269/

Kinzinger went on to call out his party’s hypocrisy for attacking Hillary Clinton over document security while also defending Trump. “We know of 180 [documents Trump took], plus what [the DOJ found] after this search. I mean, the hypocrisy of folks in my party that spent years chanting, ‘lock her up’ about Hillary Clinton because of some deleted emails or quote unquote wiping a server are now out there defending a man who very clearly did not take the national security of the United States to heart. It will be up to DOJ whether or not that reaches the level of indictment, but this is disgusting in my mind. And no president should act this way, obviously.”

By bear - Sept. 20, 2022, 12:40 p.m.
Like Reply

i notice for this comment you quote just a couple politicians. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2016/06/22/3-partisan-environments-views-of-political-conversations-and-disagreements/

this is more about the general public.

looks like maybe dems are a little more divisive than pubs.

dems are less likely to say they have some friends from the other political party.  dems are more likely to say they have NO friends in the other political party.  

pubs are more likely to say they have some friends who are dems.  and they are less likely to say they have NO friends who are democrats.  

here is another question they do not specifically ask... would you date a person who is from the other side of the political spectrum?  

when i ask students that question... liberals are far more likely to say NO, they would never date someone from the other political party.  and they are far more likely to express a seathing hatred of the other side. 

By bear - Sept. 20, 2022, 12:47 p.m.
Like Reply

another simple observation. this is not a broad scientific study.

30 years ago, when observing discussions in classrooms (about politics or religion)... it seemed that conservatives were less likely to be tolerant/open minded, about discussion with the other side of the political spectrum.  liberals were more likely to be open minded, and willing to consider opposing views. 

today liberals are more likely to be closed minded.  and conservatives are more likely to be open minded.  when discussing opposing views.  

i find that shift to be quite fascinating.  

By metmike - Sept. 20, 2022, 12:47 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks bear, great points. 

That study/report came out over 6 years ago, even before Trump was elected:

Report June 22, 2016

Partisanship and Political Animosity in 2016

Some things still apply but the US has massively changed since then.

My personal observation is that when Trump was in office, the left pushed hate and divisiveness more than the right.

When Biden took over, it flipped. 

But both parties are over achieving when it comes to hate and divisiveness (-:

By metmike - Sept. 20, 2022, 1:19 p.m.
Like Reply

bear,

on your 2nd post, I’m sure this is what you are observing and I see it clearly is many realms, especially climate change. If you disagree with the liberals, even armed with a mountain of authentic data/science …..you are a denier…..no discussion because the science was settled 2 decades ago.

however, interesting that here on the forum for the past 2 years it’s been the complete opposite of that.

but this is a dinky sample size.

and you can probably make the case either way.

Fox is clearly MUCH worse than CNN but mainly since Biden was elected.

By WxFollower - Sept. 21, 2022, 11:49 p.m.
Like Reply

Trump was by far the most divisive potus of my lifetime. He didn't just threat his political opponents as opponents. He talked about them as if they were the most hated enemy on the planet, worse than the worst enemy country. Truly disgusting and I could even see it coming a mile away in the 2016 primaries based on how he treated his gop opponents. 

By metmike - Sept. 22, 2022, 12:58 a.m.
Like Reply

Agree about  Trumps extreme divisiveness.

However, Biden still uses divisiveness as one of his tactics.

I agree with his points about the extreme right here but he turned the speech purely POLITICAL and more divisive than needed. 

But that's how it is in 2022. 

Politicians do back flips to rally their base and often vilify the other side.

Some politicians might say that  they represent both sides and will bring them together......as Biden falsely promised before being elected but the ones that actually do it are a dying breed........if there are any left.

Can you name any, for instance?

Biden tonight at 7pm                      

Sept. 1, 2022, 1:13 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/88543/

By metmike - Sept. 22, 2022, 2:35 a.m.
Like Reply

Just 9 House Republicans broke ranks to vote for a bill from Liz Cheney and House Democrats that aims to prevent another January 6. All of them are retiring.

https://www.businessinsider.com/which-republicans-electoral-count-act-reform-liz-cheney-january-6-2022-9

• The House passed a bill aimed at preventing another January 6. Just 9 Republicans voted for it.
  • The bill amends the Electoral Count Act and clarifies the vote-counting role of the vice president.                     
  • Senators introduced their own bipartisan bill two months ago, and some say this is just a messaging bill.
  •                   

The "Presidential Election Reform Act," co-sponsored by Democratic Rep. Zoe Lofgren of California and Republican Rep. Liz Cheney of Wyoming, aims to prevent another January 6 attack by clarifying the laws that govern Congress's role in counting Electoral College votes.

"If your aim is to prevent future efforts to steal elections, I would respectfully suggest that conservatives should support this bill," said Cheney in floor remarks ahead of the vote. "If instead your aim is to leave open the door for elections to be stolen in the future, you might decide not to support this or any other bill to address the Electoral Count Act."

Most significantly, the bill clarifies that the vice president's role is simply to count votes, and does not include the power to unilaterally reject certain states' electors, as former President Donald Trump argued ahead of the January 6 riot at the Capitol.

++++++++++++++++++++++

On Tuesday, Republican Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah — a member of the group that worked on the reforms in the Senate — condemned Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer for the lack of action in the Senate in light of the House voting on its own bill.

"His delay has now led to a setting where the House is apparently proposing their own bill, which unfortunately will be a party line vote," he told reporters. "I'm afraid that our Democrat friends these days are more interested in messaging than they are in actually legislating. It would be nice to actually get laws passed that will help protect our election system."