Biden tonight at 7pm
17 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Sept. 1, 2022, 1:13 p.m.

Biden to target 'MAGA Republicans' in prime-time speech about threats to democracy

The 8 p.m. ET speech from the Independence National Historical Park in Philadelphia will revive a central theme of Biden's 2020 presidential campaign — the "battle for the soul of the nation."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/joe-biden/biden-give-prime-time-speech-battle-soul-nation-stepped-attacks-republ-rcna45766

WASHINGTON — President Joe Biden is expected to accuse Republicans of supporting an extreme ideology that threatens democracy during rare prime-time remarksThursday as he steps up attacks on conservatives ahead of the midterm elections.

The 8 p.m. ET speech from the Independence National Historical Park in Philadelphia will focus on the “battle for the soul of the nation,” the White House said — a phrase Biden has been using since 2017 to rally opposition to former President Donald Trump.

"He will talk about the direct threats to democracy from MAGA Republicans and the extremism that is a threat right now to our democratic values," a senior administration official said Thursday on a call with reporters.

The president will speak out against "a movement that does not recognize free and fair elections, a movement that increasingly is talking about violence in response to actions that they don't like or don't agree with, which is not the way democracies behave," the official added, while insisting that it is “not a speech about a particular politician, or even about a particular political party.”

Still, Republicans are planning their own retort. House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., will give a prebuttal Thursday from  Biden’s hometown of Scranton, Pennsylvania, on the president’s “assault on the soul of the nation.”

While the Biden administration is billing the remarks as an official White House event, not a campaign event, the speech comes as the president is stepping up efforts to help Democrats hang on to control of Congress with the midterm elections just over two months away.

metmike: This is purely political and off the charts divisive. He is going to say some very true things about extreme right republicans following the diabolical Donald Trump and far right media sources. 

However, more than anything, this will extremely enrage the ones that he's attacking and they will see him as the enemy and as a result, the response will be for the MAGA crowd to  defend their position with more gusto and get even MORE enraged and feel the need to be even more extreme.

Biden doesn't get it, if this speech is supposed to appeal to the soul of the nation and bring people together.

What motivates the MAGA crowd the most is speeches like this from guys like Biden. 

The dems will not get as fired up because he will be saying things that they already believe and know that he believes and will just see it as another reminder to vote against the MAGA people in November and he will NOT be attacking them.

Watch what happens for the next X amount of time after this speech. It will serve to enrage and unite the MAGA crowd because it's a speech in front of a national audience intended to attack them. 

I'll wait to hear him but this could go down as one of the most divisive speeches by a president in history. 

I can say the same things that he will say about Trump or elections and not be so biased/divisive because I also vehemently attack his disastrous energy policies. His corruption involving Hunter, proven on the laptop. The very corrupt Mueller investigation.

Regardless of how ticked off republicans get at me for trashing diabolical, psychopath Donald Trump and other bogus far right agenda, they know in their hearts that its the objective truth and I'm not the enemy because I trash the other sides bogus stuff with equal gusto.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

So what does a president do to fix the legit problems that he should oppose, mentioned in the speech tonight?

Easy for me to say what he shouldn't do..........which is what he is doing and exactly what Congress is doing to make it much worse. 

I'm also totally objective.........he is not so he is letting his political affiliation and democrat advisors tell him what to do......which, again will make it worse, not better.

This is the only way out:

One of the party's needs to make a sincere attempt to concede some of their agenda in order to incorporate the agenda of the other side. To win over a double digit number of the opposite party in Congress.

The fake inflation bill, just passed did the 100% opposite of that and is the quintessential example of a bill that will only divide our parties and country even more.

This is why 0% of republicans voted for it.

Yes, this one is entirely on the democrats, not just for the complete energy crap based on a fake climate crisis in the bill but because it's the ANTI republican agenda bill. 

The objective was to get as much ANTI republican agenda stuff in it as possible and still get it to pass with the democrats having a slim majority.

This is how you maximize, alienating the other party:

Fake Inflation Reduction Act            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/88185/

$300 billion in Student loans forvgiveness            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/88304/

OK, I'm bashing him before hearing the speech but promise to listen for words that are not political and sincere apolitical advise to promote healing and unity.

BTW, this can only be accomplished if the republican party stops getting its messages from Trump, Trump supporting politicians and Trump cheerleading media, like Fox.

In other words.........there is no recipe to break thru this cult as my many attempts here seem to have yielded no results...... so on that account, man we are in extremely deep trouble.

Best time in human history for technology, medicine, entertainment, conveniences and other related realms and we should embrace/cherish and appreciate those elements. 

One of the worst in this realm..politics and abuse of powerful information by clever gatekeepers with brilliant schemes to perpetrate lies that support agenda's.

Comments
By WxFollower - Sept. 1, 2022, 4:49 p.m.
Like Reply

In normal times, Biden's speech would be anything but divisive and instead would be an obvious rally around the flag situation. He has every right to do this. But we're living in extraordinary times that are quite baffling to me. I don't see any hope for the still pro-Trump nuts. As Mike said, it won't do much to help bring us together. Trump has poisoned tens of millions to believe every bit of bollocks he spews. It is a swallow the Kool Aid type of cult. Mind boggling!

By metmike - Sept. 2, 2022, 12:40 a.m.
Like Reply

Wow.

No comments on Biden's speech?

I was at my grandson's football game earlier and am packing for Michigan again this evening.

This time to watch the Michigan vs Colorado opener in Ann Arbor on Saturday with my son in law and 2 grand sons an 8th grader and a 6th grader that both play football and live here in Evansville.

Be back late in the PM on Sunday but will be popping in.

Full Transcript of President Biden’s Speech in Philadelphia

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/01/us/politics/biden-speech-transcript.html

By metmike - Sept. 2, 2022, 1:05 a.m.
Like Reply

Biden delivers prime-time speech on the "battle for the soul of the nation" in Philadelphia

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/biden-speech-philadelphia-democracy-watch-live-stream-today-2022-09-01/

"I believe it's my duty to tell the truth with you no matter how difficult, no matter how painful," he said. "And here, in my view, is what is true: MAGA Republicans do not respect the Constitution. They do not believe in the rule of law. They do not recognize the will of the people. They refused to acknowledge a free election."

metmike: So how does the average person know when Biden is telling the truth, like he is here and when he is lying his arse off, which he does on many political topics, especially energy and anything to do with the fake climate crisis.

Answer: They don't. If you are a democrat you just believe everything that he states because of your party affiliation. 

Republicans don't believe anything that he says because of their party affiliation.

If he was Pinocchio, his nose would be a mile long..........but sometimes he tells the truth.

This was a wonderful speech...............to enrage and energize the MAGA republicans, while attacking tens of millions of people that didn't vote for him with an extremely political and divisive speech that he claimed would not be political and he continues to falsely claim that he is trying to unite the country.

He clearly is the president of people that agree with him and not to those that disagree with him.

Democrats write an insane bill with tons of bad stuff in it that will hurt the country, with a made up, deceptive name "anti inflation" because they know Americans are concerned about inflation.

Pass it with nothing but democrat votes and every republican opposing it. 

Then, claim to be telling the truth and trying to unite the country while.....accusing the other party of doing exactly what they are doing. 

By joj - Sept. 2, 2022, 6:47 p.m.
Like Reply

MM,

Given that our democracy is under attack by Trump and the MAGA cult, what speech would you have delivered if you were Biden?

By bear - Sept. 4, 2022, 12:04 p.m.
Like Reply

of course this speech was nonsense.  biden ran for office claiming he would unify the country.  he has made NO efforts to do so.  he has done everything he can to be extremely partisan.  his speech was aimed at trying to divide the republican party in order to benefit the dems at the midterms.  many americans will be naive enough to fall for it.

from early 2020, onward, we had many people in america trying to impose medical fascism.  and all that did NOTHING to effect the general spread of covid.  but it is amazing how many americans were so eager to accept fascism.  shutdowns and mandates were mostly endorsed by people on the left.  and it was mostly people on the left that were very happy to enforce fascism.  they destroyed businesses (thru shutdowns), and wanted to run our country like a medical police state.  but then they turn around and call maga republicans fascists.  

fascism the last few years came from people on the left , more than from people on the right.  

this is what john stuart mill calls tyranny of the majority.  

By bear - Sept. 4, 2022, 12:16 p.m.
Like Reply

as for covid.... remember, places with strict mask mandates did NOT have any better health outcomes than places with NO mandates.  places with shutdowns did not have any better health outcomes than places without shutdowns.  places with vaccine mandates did not have any better outcomes than places without mandates. 

but even tho all those mandates,and shutdowns did NOTHING to change the spread of covid, there were lots of poeple, mostly liberals, who wanted out country to be run like a medical police state.  they were willing to have fascism.   that IS a threat to democracy and freedom. 

i may agree that maga republicans got out of hand with their violent protest.  but people on the right have NOT been the ones pushing for fascism.  people on the Left are the ones that have advocated fascism.  

people on the right were protesting against fraud in an election.  they were not trying to overthrow democracy.  

people on the right simply want to be sure that ... if a vote is cast, we can verify that it is a LEGAL vote.  they want to prevent fraud.  preventing fraud is NOT a threat to democracy.  

dems want to distort the narrative to continue to attack trump and his voters.  

By bear - Sept. 4, 2022, 12:21 p.m.
Like Reply

the ONE big thing that destroys a country is to debase the currency.   too much debt, too much taxation,  too much spending.  too much bureaucracy.  THIS is the biggest threat to the USA.  history has proven this over and over again.  of course biden will NEVER be honest about this since he would never admit that his policies are a much bigger threat to america than what maga republicans are.  

By bear - Sept. 4, 2022, 12:25 p.m.
Like Reply

if biden wanted to be taken seriously,  he should have criticized violence and extremism on BOTH sides.  but of course his liberal speech writers will never criticize liberals,  even if they are doing things to tear our country apart.

By joj - Sept. 5, 2022, 1:02 p.m.
Like Reply

It’s not a out criticizing “violence on both sides”.  Biden did that in a full throated way  more than a dozen times in his 2020 campaign.  It’s about refusing to accept the results AFTER all legal challenges failed AND trying to reject the DEMOCRATICALLY elected president and scheming to reverse the results.  THAT, my libertarian friend is fascism.

MAGA legislators in Arizona and several other states are passing laws allowing state legislators to reject electors and install their own.  THAT is fascism.

Passing laws to protect public health?  Not so much.

MM. I am still looking forward to your speech alternative

By metmike - Sept. 5, 2022, 2:54 p.m.
Like Reply

Joj,

i loved that last comment.

you know me so well and me not doing a dissertation or 2 or 3 …..at some point in this thread would be like a fish not swimming…….or the sun not radiating heat……or weather NOT featuring extremes from natural variability (-:

I was in Michigan for 3 days for the UM game at the Big House but won’t disappoint you.

actually, I greatly appreciate you wanting to hear my take With the feeling being even greater to read yours because you offer an authentic side that nobody else does…..especially for me to ponder and often learn from.

you know how I feel about trump and wonder what I think about Biden expressing some of the things I agree strongly with but in an extremely divisive, political manner as somebody that is Being extremely divisive about it.

I strongly agree with him on the election…..but I strongly disagree with him on the fake climate crisis, the mueller investigation, the southern border, the 2020 riots, his sons laptop and so on.

there are many other political things that I agree with him on, including healthcare.

what he did in this speech is how bear  the libertarian described it. Even if it’s a topic I agree with Biden on and want confronted with gusto, Biden turned it into pure 1 sided,politics.

failing to condemn the 2020 riots was his biggest mistake by far That would have added a little credibility.

one wouldn’t expect him to criticize his own flawed policies or bring up his own corruption but they clearly exist….which makes his messages  hollow, hypocritical and extremely one sided/biased  and,political Unless they also include powerful evidence of open mindedness and objectivity expressed in the verbiage.

This was just the opposite. It was counterproductive because it 100% was appealing to one side, that will feel reinforced but not different, while vilifying the other side that feels attacked and responding by defending their political view and hating Joe Biden and others like him for attacking them.

Again, I do similar attacking about Trump and the fake  2020 election steal but not because I’m a democrat trying to rally my party before a huge election.

By metmike - Sept. 5, 2022, 6:17 p.m.
Like Reply

OK, it had been so long since your first post and I didn't reread them all and I was out of town that I completely forgot about your post asking for the speech that I would have had Biden give.

So here it is:

....................................................................................................

........................................................................................................

.................................................................................................................

Did you like it?

The point is that there are people and topics and times and methods when giving a speech or doing something is worse than doing nothing. 

1. Biden is the exact wrong person giving the speech, unless he adjusted his position so it can be heard by people that disagree. Does anybody think that Biden can ever be seen as an objective source about HIS OWN election? I don't but if he actually cared about an objective perception.......attacking the opposition and defending the positions of his party on numerous issues in the speech is just a political speech, regardless of how the left wants to think about it. bear made great points about this. 

2. It's the wrong time.........unless it's actually intended to be political, ahead of the huge elections in just 2 months and after his ratings had taken a big jump.........and that's why he was doing it........which proves it was entirely political and the right time for an off the charts partisan political speech intended to rally the democrats. Then, by the Biden standard, this was the exact perfect timing.

3.  On the topic. There is nobody here that has stated more of exactly what Biden stated during much of his speech than me. ...only I do it with extreme gusto, providing massive DOCUMENTATION of empirical data and evidence to back up my position up almost every time. Biden used words.  I realize that speeches, by definition are just words. If I had been limited to just words at MarketForum...........no graphs/charts, maps, empirical data,  studies and documented evidence........I would have never volunteered to be moderator and would have been long gone during the first year. 

Words do have tremendous power in many venues, like the one we discussed last week about how to have a successful marriage.  However, the key to making them effective when you disagree with somebody is to have MORE THAN just words that vehemently disagree with words of the other side. In the real world, 2 people representing 2 polar opposite positions that give speeches will almost always cause the views of the audience to get FARTHER APART not closer.  Each side, believes only the words that line up with what they already believe and totally reject everything from the side that disagrees. This is psycholgy 101. 

If a president of the United States and his advisors don't understand that basic principle defining human nature and cognitive bias.........then they have serious comprehension problems. Of course they understand it. They are in the business of understanding it. This was intended to be a political speech to fire up the democrat base timed before the election, when Bidens ratings have improved nicely. Any other interpretation is being blinded by the politics of the interpreter because metmike AGREES strongly with his points but still DISAGREES with him giving a speech like this based on the easy to follow objective reasoning above.

By joj - Sept. 5, 2022, 6:53 p.m.
Like Reply

So the Fascists are nipping at the heels and you think Biden should….wait for it….

Say nothing!!  Not only do I respectfully disagree.  I think Democrats should beat that drum loud in the midterms.  Save Democracy.  Vote Blue.  I wish there was a party that was fiscally responsible, socially conscious and followed the law.  But there isn’t so I have to vote against MAGA Brown shirts.

PS - he condemned ALL violence.  In the speech and in his campaign.  

By metmike - Sept. 5, 2022, 11:59 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks joj but now you are putting words on my keyboard.

I didn't say wait for it at all. 

You're well aware of the many hundreds of posts that I've made here to aggressively confront the stolen election fraud DISinformation.

What I actually said, if you wanted to read it was that Biden went about confronting it in the exact WRONG, counterproductive way  and he is obviously the exact WRONG person to do it. 

He clearly used it as a divisive, political tool that ended up enraging and  energizing the right and inspired additional hatred for him because of divisive communicating of the message.....from somebody that represents only  his politics.

I agree with Biden every bit as much as you do on the stolen election bs. 

I was and still am on board with the January 6th, hearings that provided POWERFUL NEW EVIDENCE beyond biased words that hopefully, can be used to confront this legally and as effective as possible (even though nothing is going to stop it) using the best tools at our disposal. 

You see that something is wrong with the far right and Biden, the president should confront it to try to fix it.

The speech fixed nothing. It made it WORSE. With certainty is made it worse. Doing nothing is better than making it worse.  

There are many other avenues to confront this problem,  like the Jan. 6th hearings and other  legal dynamics in place that are moving along to hold Trump accountable.

We both agree that its one of, if not the biggest problem in our country right now.

We disagree because you think that Biden can make it better with very partisan, divisive  speeches, designed to fire up his base by attacking the right. 

He attacked on issues other than the election too and used politics to promote his party. He poisoned the so called intent of the speech by going way outside the main topic. 

Here, let me give you a few examples of things in his speech  that had 0 to do with the election or the topic that he used in a political speech supporting his party over the republicans on topics that he is completely full of crap on. 

Full Transcript of President Biden’s Speech in Philadelphia

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/01/us/politics/biden-speech-transcript.html

1. "MAGA forces are determined to take this country backwards, backwards to an America where there is no right to choose, no right to privacy, no right to contraception, no right to marry who you love. They promote authoritarian leaders, and they fanned the flames of political violence that are a threat to our personal rights, to the pursuit of justice, to the rule of law, to the very soul of this country."

metmike: MAGA fanned the flames of political violence. I agree but this would have been exactly the place/opportunity to tell the whole truth about the hundreds of 2020 political riots by his party if he had any sort of objectively or open mindedness. 

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/78104/#78118

2. "But I see a different America — an America with an unlimited future, an America that’s about to take off. I hope you see it as well. Just look around. I believe we could lift America from the depths of Covid, so we passed the largest economic recovery package since Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and today America’s economy is faster, stronger than any other advanced nation in the world"

metmike: What does this have to do with the election and MAGA people? Not one republican voted for this horrible bill because it has so much crap, mostly flushing hundreds of billions down the toilet to wreck our extremely efficient and reliable energy system. Some good things......yes but those are a small fraction of the spending in one of the worst bills in history. 

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/88185/

3. "And I believed we could create a clean energy future and save the planet, so we passed the most important climate initiative ever, ever, ever."

metmike: How about the truth. This bill and the movement IS wrecking the planet NOT saving the planet and environment for crony capitalism sponsored by him and politicians like him, along with a host of government, media and green energy interests colluding with each other that are causing tremendous damage to our economy and consumers which will be massively amplified by what he is bragging about?  What the heck was this big lie doing in his speech?

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/88534/

By 12345 - Sept. 6, 2022, 6:33 p.m.
Like Reply

LOLOLOL  I LOVE THIS THREAD   

THIS IS MY FAVORITE LINE: "I believe it's my duty to tell the truth with you no matter how difficult, no matter how painful," he said. "And here, in my view, is what is true: MAGA Republicans do not respect the Constitution. They do not believe in the rule of law. They do not recognize the will of the people. They refused to acknowledge a free election."

LOL  WHY DIDN'T HE USE THE WORD "OPINION"? IN CONTEXT, IT MEANS THE SAME THING.  WHICH ALSO MEAN'S: BIDEN BELIEVE'S HIS VIEW/BELIEF/OPINION, IS TRUTH/FACT!  HAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA  ANYONE THAT DISAGREES WITH HIM IS A MAGA CULT MEMBER, EH?  LOL

PERSONALLY, I WOULD LOVE TO GO UP AGAINST BIDEN AND HIS SPEECH WRITER'S. I WONDER WHAT THEIR DEFINITION OF FACT IS. LOLOLOL

AS ALWAYS ~ 12345 (AKA: JEAN N.) ULTRA MAGA   

THANKS FOR A FUNNNNNNN READ

ON A SIDE NOTE... HAD I BEEN "STANDING GUARD"... I WOULD'VE RISKED A COURT MARSHALL & MARCHED AWAY.

By bear - Sept. 9, 2022, 10:12 p.m.
Like Reply

by the way,  joj, states are allowed to pass laws about electors, and how they are chosen.  i sometimes do not agree with them, but it is NOT fascist.  it is legal,  it is democratic, and it is constitutional.  

there has been lots of controversy over this issue thru our history.  if you want some other changes in how electors are chosen,  then you need to convince the public to vote for other state legislators, and different governors.  

but when a governor, or mayor, shuts down your business, and destroys your livelyhood over covid.  yes that is fascist.  laws have to be passed by the legislative branch.  the governor can NOT do this as a tyrant.  

and it should involve eminent domain.  that means they have to PAY you for taking away your business.  

i am surprised NO one has sued over this issue yet.  

By joj - Sept. 11, 2022, 6:33 a.m.
Like Reply

bear,

Taking away the will of the voters may be "legal", but it sure as shootin is NOT democratic.

Business owners who were shut down deserve proper compensation.  On that we agree.

By metmike - Sept. 14, 2022, 6:21 p.m.
Like Reply

What Biden warned about, as mentioned before is very legit and a major threat to our democracy.

My problem with him here and during his presidency  is that the manner in which he confronts it MAKES IT WORSE and does the complete opposite of uniting our country.

Instead he divides us, promoting pure one sided politics and he  energizes the other side that he attacks because Biden is the polar opposite of an honest, objective source. 

With that out of the way, here's more evidence of the powerful, widespread threat that has taken over the minds of 10s of millions of Americans from the right with people that have a huge following pushing DISinformation and dangerous messages from their side.

Mike Lindell for instance, is the most dishonest and zero credibility snake oil salesman in my life time that has been elevated to a cult hero because of his charisma and telling the extreme far right BLATANT lies which people want to hear. 

The Moment of Truth Summit From Start to Finish

https://frankspeech.com/shows/moment-truth-summit-start-finish

The left also pushes their  own DISinformation and propaganda too......can you say "fake climate crisis"