Civilian oversight of military
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Oct. 6, 2021, 12:30 a.m.

I am sure most remember my post about civilian over sight of military and I was told this Milley thing would only happen this one time

You all remember that Lt. Co. who made that video that went viral when he spoke truth to power as he saw the failed Afghanistan pullout, [as it is called in most places now a days]

Well just recently this man was placed in the brigg [military speak for jail]

It seems some senators demanded this man be released. The military told the senators very politely to go pound salt

So what gives here?

Does the military tell the elected senators what the military decides is the final decision, and the elected   senators have no control over military matters

What happens in a worse case senerio when the military decide to go to war and the elected congress disagree with the decision. This is a military decision not a WH war decision as I understand Biden had no knowledge or comment before hand of the Col going to jail. I may be wrong about Biden, but it seems the military is in control. Senators just want him released pending a military trial.

IMHO small decisions that are allowed to slide under the radar can gradually become bigger issues over time, when elected congress [the voice of the people] is told to go pound salt

It is very possible I don't understand your system of checks and balances

Comments
By TimNew - Oct. 6, 2021, 4:22 a.m.
Like Reply

It's understandable that you'd be confused.

Once upon a time,  we had a system of checks and balances and rule of law.

But the rule of law interfered with assorted branches of the government in expanding their powers, particularly the executive,  so they have slowly evolved out of the system along with the checks and balances.

Now, the idea of the military engaging in war without authorization/financing from congress and the approval of the executive is still pretty far fetched, but General Milley's recently disclosed actions place that in somewhat less question.

But you see, that old way of doing things was such a severe impediment to the people tring so hard to get things done.

By 7475 - Oct. 6, 2021, 6:48 a.m.
Like Reply

Wayne

You were referring to the ole "Foot in the Door" situation when you mentioned small steps.

That creates a precedent and thats all "they" need these days to legitimatize their agenda.

John

By metmike - Oct. 6, 2021, 11:42 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks for the comments. 

Previous discussion related to this. Wayne, you have a knack of picking our best, interesting topics here............keep up the good work. Glad you are feeling much better!

Milley 

39 responses |               

Started by wglassfo - Sept. 15, 2021, 3:40 p.m.     

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/74938/