crop update
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by mcfarm - July 1, 2021, 7:28 a.m.

1 1/2 inches yesterday...2 1/2 last nite....flash flood warnings. Just started wheat day before. Cutting wheat, baling straw, planting double crops, spraying first crop beans etc will be delayed. Doubt if we get back by Monday. What little wheat we ran was good, 80 to 110bu/a. Crops were pretty good but this much water in poorly drained ground causes damage.

Comments
Re: crop update
0 likes
By metmike - July 1, 2021, 12:43 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks much mcfarm!(who lives in central IN)

Here is sw IN, we finally got almost .5 after being dry for 3 weeks.

Yesterday, there were flash flood warnings for 3+ inches in Evansville(the city). We live just north and got less than .1". Frustrating.

So goes it when the shwrs are moving so slow in an almost stalled pattern(which caused your rains to be so heavy too)...........which is finally moving today.

Whats the report from our other producers?

Re: crop update
0 likes
By wglassfo - July 1, 2021, 4:59 p.m.
Like Reply

I have already reported on the 4" we received

Since then we have got between 3/4" and 1 1/2" of rain depending on location

For the most part we are on the low side with 3/4"

Corn is shoulder high on average as the warm weather and rain really helped the corn crops

We have over 150 acres of sweet corn in tassel

Too much rain for beans

A large area of soybeans have been flooded and killed as the following rain, after the 1st 4 ", was too much and ponding occurred. I am sure the corn is the same, just can't see it.  Will take some time to see if the corn suffered from ponding water

We tile on average to remove 1/2" of water in 24 hrs. This is why the beans suffered as they can't take prolonged flooding

One field of 100 acres of beans is totally wiped out,, right across from my corn field, with many others 50-75 % damaged. Most bean fields suffered at least 10-20 %  damage as in total loss

We only have 200 acres of beans with very  little damage. Not so for one customer we do the  harvesting. He must have lost 30-40 % of his beans.

Wheat harvest has not started

I have an idea there may be larger corn losses than anticipated as you can't see flood water in a corn field but the damage will occur to some extent

If a corn field that looked really good, suddenly becomes uneven before tassel, you have water damage

I have seen a couple corn fields become uneven already.

By cutworm - July 1, 2021, 5:10 p.m.
Like Reply

Corn and beans in this area look good (except where the river covered the corn 6-19)

Here at home I received 4/10 total. But just south 15 miles 5 inches was reported last night. Highly variable rainfall amounts.

By bowyer - July 1, 2021, 9:29 p.m.
Like Reply

Crops here (WC Illinois) are suffering from too much rain ! Around 8" last 2 weeks. Replanted wet holes are under water. Lots of yellowing beans from saturated soil. No record crops here this year !

By metmike - July 2, 2021, 1:16 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks much........keep the reports coming in please!

Latest weather:

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/71672/

Previous crop conditions from producers............wow, things sure changed with these excessive rains!!!

Producers/crop 6-3-21            

30 responses |              

Started by metmike - June 3, 2021, 2:41 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/70437/