WE are Being Manipulated
10 responses | 0 likes
Started by joj - Nov. 20, 2020, 6:43 a.m.

I am begging everyone that I know to immediately watch the Netflix documentary "The Social Dilemma".  

We (and our children) are being targeted by the artificial intelligence at Facebook, Google, Youtube, Snapchat, Instagram and others...  ALL of the people that designed the Algorithms to trigger our dopamines in pursuit of profit do not allow their children on these platforms.  The executives at these companies give very candid answers in the interviews.

Suicide for teenage girls has more than doubled since the advent of smartphones.

Democracies all over the world are easily attacked.  

There is so much more.  This is NOT a political subject.  ....Please watch.

Comments
By TimNew - Nov. 20, 2020, 7:53 a.m.
Like Reply

Will check it out.

Thanks.

By wglassfo - Nov. 20, 2020, 8:46 a.m.
Like Reply

I keep reading about the world order

The 1st time I heard it, was from Bush 1

Now this very small group, talk about controlling the world

In actual thought,  we own nothing

They control gov't and tax our wealth

Biden is talking about taxes

I thought it was just fantasy

Dunno they seem rather confident

But if Soros passes away who will pick up the torch and continue

There are a few more than  just Soros involved

Also will China and Russia be a part or are they the glue that will control the world

I hope this never happens and just conspiracy thinking

Tin foil???

By joj - Nov. 20, 2020, 10:38 a.m.
Like Reply

Wayne,

You REALLY need to see this documentary.

Best,

Joj

By metmike - Nov. 20, 2020, 10:51 a.m.
Like Reply

The craziest thing about this is that the author/creator is a product of the same realm that he recognizes others being captured by!!!

This is a quintessential example of cognitive bias.

He believes that people like me, which he labels as deniers are driven by the forces of disinformation which cause us to deny the climate crisis.

The reality is, the forces that have created the fake climate crisis are MUCH, MUCH more powerful, going back to the 1980's and they got ahold of his brain a long time ago, so that his brain interprets things which contradict what he thinks he knows about the climate crisis as disinformation and only believed by climate deniers who can't see (his) truths.............the truths defined by those who absurdly declared "The science is settled" and "The debate is over"  2 decades ago.

But maybe metmike is actually a denier or being influenced?

Turns out that metmike, in the 1990's to around 2000 believed strongly in dangerous warming caused by humans.

Believed in much of what we have been spoon to believe and told that the world's authorities, the climate scientists all agree on.

Fortuntately, metmike is an atmospheric scientist that actually understands how the atmosphere works and has been analyzing global weather patterns almost every day for 38 years and got access to all the climate data when the internet blossomed.

AND, most important of all, practices the scientific method in every realm of his life...........which compels us to constantly look for reasons for why we might be wrong, and give them just as much weight as reasons for why we think we are right.

Am I wrong now?

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/27864/

I always welcome with open arms comments that show my opinions or facts might now be wrong. 

1. The best situation for a scientist is not being proven right. Being proven right when you were right from the start is 2nd best.

2. The best situation for a scientist is being wrong, then recognizing it ASAP and completely changing it to being right.

Case #1 did not require that additional step of (#2) having to change one's view from wrong at first to right but it's that additional step (#2) that defines a persons character.

By metmike - Nov. 20, 2020, 10:59 a.m.
Like Reply

And I agree with most of what this guy states..........except that he doesn't even see his brain has been captured by the same affect he is telling us others are being bombarded with(in one realm that he proudly proclaims with confidence is an irrefutable truth-when its a lie that he fell for).

But that's how cognitive bias works when you don't apply the scientific method. You readily recognize other peoples cognitive bias when they disagree with you. But its impossible to recognize your own cognitive bias or................it wouldn't be a cognitive bias. 

This Netflix doc tries to explain everything wrong with social media right now

Inspired by climate change deniers and a Pixar movie, ‘The Social Dilemma’ explores how social platforms are influencing human behavior.

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/61468/

For his past two documentaries, filmmaker Jeff Orlowski focused on the environmental impact of melting glaciers and disappearing coral reefs. In the process of promoting the films, he began to notice a troubling and familiar pattern.

“We kept finding more and more people who were skeptical of climate change,” Orlowski says. “How is it that they’re in so much denial with all the facts and all the evidence? We were meeting people at film festivals, on the road, in Q&As, countless people who just questioned the climate science.”

Orlowski traced the source to the echo chambers of social media platforms and discrepancies in web searches, which can surface different information for different people.

“All of these technology systems are reinforcing different beliefs for people regardless of the truth,” Orlowski says. “We realized that this is a huge story. This is changing the way our entire civilization gets its information and thinks about truth and fact.”

And so began the journey to create The Social Dilemma, a deep dive into the algorithms and business models of the leading tech companies that are shaping human behavior and influencing politics. The documentary is now available on Netflix.

Through the testimony of tech insiders including Tim Kendall, the former director of monetization at Facebook; Jeff Seibert, a former head of consumer product at Twitter; Justin Rosenstein, a coinventor of Facebook Pages and the “like” button; and Tristan Harris, a former design ethicist at Google, The Social Dilemma deftly unpacks many of the concerns that have driven the conversation around these companies over the past few years, with a particularly keen analysis of the social media user as the product being sold to advertisers.

What emerges is a similar trajectory to what Orlowski saw with climate change: shortsighted capitalism superseding long-term damage to society.

By metmike - Nov. 20, 2020, 11:08 a.m.
Like Reply

Ex-KGB on Ideological Subversion: How the UN/IPCC hijacked science/brainwashed the world. Previously warmer. Polar bear hoax. Sept. 2019

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/38156/

By WxFollower - Nov. 20, 2020, 11:56 a.m.
Like Reply

Despite seemingly most everyone having one, I've never had a Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, or any other similar account and never intend to start one. It has nothing to do with politics. My desire for privacy would never let me do that crap. 

What % of Americans have a Facebook account? Anyone know?

By metmike - Nov. 20, 2020, 12:20 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Larry!

I use Facebook and Twitter only to post our weather forecasts and a few other things from MarketForum.

My 5 siblings and I that live around the world use a family email and on hot topics, can exchange a dozen emails in a day.

By metmike - Nov. 20, 2020, 12:43 p.m.
Like Reply

Related to this but in the advertising realm:

Why Online Ads Follow You Around the Web

https://www.lifewire.com/ads-online-why-are-they-following-you-around-the-web-4063788

Online ads can be found in every corner of web because that's how many companies make money. But, from your perspective, it might seem weird, annoying, or downright creepy, especially when the same ad seems to "follow" you around. For example, you might leave the Nike website only to open an article on a random business site and see an ad about the shoes you were just looking at.

These ads can be useful if you want to be reminded of products you're considering buying. But let's face it, most of the time you don't need that reminder. Not only do the ads crowd out content you do want to see, but they also make web pages load more slowly.

Most online ads exist to generate website revenue that pays for web hosting, compensation for the writers and developers, and other expenses. These ads are making it possible for the sites you visit to stay in business but that doesn't mean they're welcome.

Blocks and arrows illustrating ad targeting

It's clear that most people using the web don't appreciate ads in their websites, blogs, video sites, or social networks. However, as people have grown used to online ads, advertisers have become increasingly creative with their marketing tactics, creating something called behavioral retargeting, also known as ad remarketing.

This strategy enables them to display ads elsewhere if a person looks at a product but doesn't buy it the first time, in hopes they will be reminded to complete the transaction. The basic idea is that the ad targets individuals that already showed an interest in the product. Instead of blasting a particular ad to random people, ad retargeting latches on to those that show interest, in hopes that they'll come back.

Companies that use behavioral retargeting techniques have an advantage over companies that don't. For example, if, while researching TVs, you land on a dozen websites but still haven't figured out what you want, the brand using ad remarketing might show you their TV once more later in the day, after you've stopped looking. Now you've seen this particular TV more than once, which might reinforce your attachment to it. The ad might even give you a coupon code to get a discount on the purchase.

By metmike - Nov. 20, 2020, 1:36 p.m.
Like Reply

This is just another form of something thats been going on for decades on television.

How many of us have seen paid advertisements on TV using creative strategies, sometimes that have nothing to do with the usefulness of the product but that catch our attention and cause us to REMEMBER the name of the product because they were so entertaining or memorable.

Billions of dollars spent each year in this industry............because they work.

Telling us that you have 1 hour to call in or that only the next 100 callers will get this deal causes a sense of urgency that inspires immediate actions because when most people wait a couple of days to think about it, they forget about it or change their minds.

They use convincing sounding words and claims with most people not doing a very intensive investigation to verify the claims. Enough people believe it to cause  the advertisment to pay handsome dividends from the increase in sales.