Quote of the Day
4 responses | 0 likes
Started by joj - Oct. 13, 2023, 7:04 a.m.

"We can forgive you for killing our sons.  We cannot forgive you for making killers out of our sons."

-  Golda Meir  (prime minister of Israel from 1969 - 1974)

Comments
By metmike - Oct. 13, 2023, 12:07 p.m.
Like Reply

Perfect quote for this situation!

By joj - Oct. 13, 2023, 1:57 p.m.
Like Reply

I gave it from recall.  Here is the full quote:

We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children.

We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children.

We will only have peace with the Arabs when they love their children more than they hate us.

Golda Meir

By metmike - Oct. 13, 2023, 3:06 p.m.
Like Reply
Israeli-Leader  May 3, 1898 -December 8, 1978

https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/golda-meir-quotes

Great sense of humor!

Let me tell you something that we Israelis have against Moses. He took us 40 years through the desert in order to bring us to the one spot in the Middle East that has no oil!

Golda Meir

By metmike - Oct. 13, 2023, 3:22 p.m.
Like Reply

A few that I picked out from this great leader that are especially relevant to this time frame:

It is true we have won all our wars, but we have paid for them. We don't want victories anymore.

We Jews have a secret weapon in our struggle with the Arabs; we have no place to go.

A leader who doesn't hesitate before he sends his nation into battle is not fit to be a leader.

To be or not to be is not a question of compromise. Either you be or you don't be.

We don't thrive on military acts. We do them because we have to, and thank God we are efficient.

Even paranoids have real enemies.

We have always said that in our war with the Arabs we had a secret weapon - no alternative.

The Egyptians could run to Egypt, the Syrians into Syria. The only place we could run was into the sea, and before we did that we might as well fight.

Above all, this country is our own. Nobody has to get up in the morning and worry what his neighbors think of him. Being a Jew is no problem here.