Detroit-Good news-Bad news
1 response | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Oct. 2, 2023, 2:28 p.m.

Growing up in Detroit, means I have 5 siblings and contacts that send me Detroit stuff. I got the first link below with wonderful news about Detroit rebuilding, from my son in law(who grew up in Chicago).

It's great news about a model that can be applied in other cities!

Detroit's rebound shows model for urban revitalization

https://www.axios.com/2023/09/28/detroit-rebound-jp-morgan-investment

"Detroit has rebounded to a degree that few would have thought possible," Fortune says, "reflecting the work of dozens upon dozens of community leaders, businesses, and nonprofit institutions, not to mention a maniacally focused city government."

• "But one particularly impactful and innovative part of the effort has been a major investment of time and capital by JPMorgan Chase, America's biggest commercial bank."

What's next: The bank has published a playbook of lessons learned from the Detroit efforts, arguing that it's good for business to invest in everything from affordable housing to skills training.

• JPMorgan Chase vice chairman Peter Scher told us: "When neighborhoods grow, our business is stronger. Detroit was a great lesson in this — and an example of what happens when government and business work together to focus on the real needs of a community."
  • The playbook — which will be distributed to clients, elected officials and community organizations — will be used to guide the bank's future investments in other communities in the U.S. and around the world.
Comments
By metmike - Oct. 2, 2023, 2:40 p.m.
Like Reply

Making frequent trips to Detroit every year and being in touch with the realities caused me to also respond back with this email:

We all love to read wonderful stuff like this about our hometown!

Detroit is clearly leading the way in a positive direction based on this rebuilding model.

As always, I try to view the big picture, including seeing things I don't want to hear or see.

Very sadly,  Detroit easily leads the country with the highest violent crime rate of any city. It's 2nd to St. Louis because St.Louis

has much more property crime.

Chicago, is 5th for Violent Crime Rate, 11th when you dial in property crime. 

20 Most Dangerous Cities in the US 2023: A Comprehensive Analysis

https://www.southwestjournal.com/most-dangerous-cities-in-the-us-2023-a-comprehensive-analysis/

++++++++++

We should note that Indianapolis is 15th which is worse than NY City at 17th.

There were 2 states with more than 1 city on this list.

MO with 2 cities and

CA with 3 of the top 3 cities being the most dangerous.

++++++++++

I could mislead you and claim that means very liberal CA is responsible(probably some of it) but the main reason is that California has more people by an extremely wide margin over other states:

https://wisevoter.com/state-rankings/states-by-population/

We should also note the TX, #2 in state population didn't have any cities in the top 20 of THIS particular study, despite it being the center for legit, major immigration problems.