Clouds
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Sept. 5, 2023, 12:36 p.m.

On the way back from visiting my Dad in Detroit, MI we saw some very interesting and changing cloud formations.

I spent a great deal of time enlightening my wife, Debbie about the classifications and physical processes that cause the different clouds.

List of cloud types

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cloud_types

Tropospheric cloud classification by altitude of occurrence. Multi-level and vertical genus-types not limited to a single altitude level include nimbostratus, cumulonimbus, and some of the larger cumulus species.

Atmosphere      

Types of Clouds

https://scijinks.gov/clouds/

Comments
Re: Clouds
0 likes
By metmike - Sept. 5, 2023, 12:58 p.m.
Like Reply

There is so much mind boggling beauty in our world that we take for granted or never notice because of our busy or complicated lives.

some of that beauty is extraordinarily complicated and requires some study to understand it’s existence…..which makes it even more interesting to some of us.

the objects  in the night sky, for instance or a major hurricane.

some of the beauty is very simple. …..a butterfly landing on a flower.  Your pet dog greeting you at the door with insane enthusiasm.……because that’s what dogs do (-:.

clouds are both  simple and complicated.

a young child can understand what a cloud is.

on the other hand, a meteorologist can understand the physical laws of the atmosphere to explain the processes and chemistry which manufactures clouds!

Re: Re: Clouds
0 likes
By 12345 - Sept. 7, 2023, 11:23 p.m.
Like Reply

THANKS, MIKE!!  I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN "STAR STRUCK" BY CLOUDS.

AS A LITTLE KID, ON THE DAYS YOU'D THINK THEY WERE SO LOW YOU COULD TOUCH THEM... I'D GET THE LONGEST STICK I COULD FIND & GO JUMPIN' THROUGH THE YARD, JUST "KNOWING" THAT IF I JUMPED HIGH ENOUGH, I'D TOUCH ONE.  LOL

By metmike - Sept. 8, 2023, 9:55 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks much, Jean!

one of the most amazing things about clouds is that they are completely made up of something thats suspended in the air all the time. Water vapor! Which also causes 95% of the greenhouse gas effect.

Invisible and unseen until the air can’t hold any more H2O after certain conditions are met, usually cooling the temperature and then we can see it.

The visual  shapes and sizes that this condensed water vapor takes are wide ranging and one of the many miracle of science/meteorology!