MFG jobs growing at fastest pace in 23 years...
13 responses | 0 likes
Started by TimNew - Aug. 3, 2018, 3:39 p.m.

Who could have ever seen this coming?? It's like someone waved a magic wand or something..

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-why-manufacturing-jobs-growth-has-been-so-strong-2018-08-03?siteid=bigcharts&dist=bigcharts

"

Employers created 37,000 new manufacturing jobs in July, the Labor Department said Friday, the strongest gain since December and the third straight month in which factory job growth accelerated. 

The July numbers may have been nudged upward a bit by vagaries in the data due to annual auto plant shutdowns, but the trend has been firm for the past year and a half. The 327,000 new jobs over the last year represent the best 12-month stretch in 23 years."

Comments
By mcfarm - Aug. 3, 2018, 4:55 p.m.
Like Reply

not to mention over 60% of the employers will give raises this and next year.....building an impressive base here.....unemployment number today 3.9....damn this has got just eat at the establishment and leftys

somebody please...what was that ever so wrong comment the wacko fake award winning Krugman predicted?

By metmike - Aug. 3, 2018, 5:20 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Tim. Incredible how strong the economy has been.

It used to be the topic which mattered more than anything else when it came to reporting the news was the economy.

Americans Say Economy Is "Most Important Thing Going Well"

https://news.gallup.com/poll/237596/americans-say-economy-important-thing-going.aspx

"The question was asked in order to shed light on why Americans' broad satisfaction with the direction of the country has increased in recent months into the mid- to high 30s. While consistent with the historical average for this question since its inception in 1979 (37%), the 35% to 38% satisfied each month since May is well above the average 27% found in 2017 and is the most positive sustained level of U.S. satisfaction since mid-2009, the first year of Barack Obama's presidency."

If there were not double digit numbers of democrats that refuse to acknowledge the realities of the roaring economy, that number would be much higher.

Based on the realities, it should be a record high number but the media continues to try to sell snake oil news to us. Was watching CNN for amusement again recently. They were discussing the economy with some hand picked guests.

Everybody agreed that the current economy was just a continuation of the Obama growth. The steady increase from the Obama years that Trump has inherited. 

Then, they went into their usual attacks on Trump and why his current policies spell total disaster for our future economy(and he will mess up all the good things that Obama did).

The last few weeks of natural gas injection reports have been bullish surprises because more natural gas is being used than the guessers guessed. Am wondering if the roaring economy is resulting in more industrial use of natural gas.

In late 2008/2009, I remember that natural gas industrial demand plunged, along with the economy tanking. 

By TimNew - Aug. 3, 2018, 6:01 p.m.
Like Reply

Well Mike,   as I've said for the last year or so...  If these numbers had existed when Obama was president,  you would hear about them every day, all day..  But when your objective is character assassination...   Welll.

Anyway,  I really need to find the time to start the week in review back up.  The #'s now compared to then are, in no other words, astounding.. All of them.    But what free time I have this time of year is at the pool,  and I don't bring puters there...

OTOH...   It would be good for the team if I could start that back up.  Gotta work something out.

By metmike - Aug. 3, 2018, 6:23 p.m.
Like Reply

You need to start the week in review back up for sure.

Too bad we can't go back and get anything from the old forum to retrieve some of those reports that you did on Saturday Mornings. 

I know they did not generate a tremendous amount of comments back then but I read them almost every week and loved the grades. Now that we've separated the forums and we are increasing traffic again, it would be interesting to see how well they would be received................my guess is that quite a few here would enjoy them.

I appreciated the amount of time/work that you put in to those reports. 

By pj - Aug. 3, 2018, 6:30 p.m.
Like Reply

Can't understand why everyone seems surprised by the strength of the numbers following a massive fiscal stimulus, when the economy wasn't in a recession. I'll still believe it won't balloon the deficit when I see it.

By TimNew - Aug. 4, 2018, 7:23 a.m.
Like Reply

I would not call the tax cut a "Massive Fiscal Stimulus"...  And so far, at least, the deficit has not ballooned. 

There are some who think that when you have a few million more tax payers than you did, people who are no longer living with government assistance,  and the tax payers you had are making more, and so are the corporations,  even if they are paying at a slightly lower rate,  you'll get more tax revenue...   It's just a theory,  but it seems to have worked a few times before.

By pj - Aug. 4, 2018, 1:17 p.m.
Like Reply

"It's just a theory,  but it seems to have worked a few times before."

When was that? Certainly not under Reagan.

By cfdr - Aug. 4, 2018, 6:20 p.m.
Like Reply

This is why economics will always be impossible to predict, isn't it?  It is a chaotic system, like weather, climate, wave action, heart beat patterns, water dripping from a faucet - probably most everything.  How can economic confidence be measured?  How to quantify the sum of individual investors worldwide and the money flows?  After the negativity of Jimmy Carter, we got Ronald Reagan.  After the total incompetence and anti-business attitude of Obama, we got Donald Trump.  In the cycle lows, the seeds of the bull market are sown, and in the cycle highs, the seeds of the bear are sown.

I have come to understand that everything is "born" with the seeds of its own destruction.  Change is the one constancy in the design, it seems.

One thing about the present - it seems that there are a whole lot of people around the world who would like nothing better than to see the US crash and burn - even if it hurt them badly in doing so.

By gary - Aug. 4, 2018, 7:12 p.m.
Like Reply

Wages havent really increased and the deficet has increased and projected to increase more

Gary

By TimNew - Aug. 4, 2018, 10:18 p.m.
Like Reply

"When was that? Certainly not under Reagan."

It most certainly did work under Reagan.  Federal Revenue doubled in one decade for the 1st time in history. Wages increased strongly.   What went wrong was that Reagan was a military hawk and would not veto a military spending bill. So the majority dem congress tacked on lots of pork. Remember the line item veto debate?

So, while revenues increased and wages increased and we had prosperity that was then goosed by the .com boom, congress spent more than they took in.  That's not a failure of the idea. The resulting deficit had nothing to do with revenue.

It also worked for JFK...

By TimNew - Aug. 4, 2018, 10:19 p.m.
Like Reply

What is the total deficit for this fiscal year Gary?  Wages are a trailing indicator  but they came in at a healthy 2.7 yoy in July.   I fully expect that to accelerate.

By metmike - Aug. 4, 2018, 10:37 p.m.
Like Reply

Welcome back gary!

By TimNew - Aug. 4, 2018, 10:39 p.m.
Like Reply

2nd that  :-)