Chokehold victim Jordan Neely
6 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - May 6, 2023, 4:38 p.m.

Subway chokehold victim Jordan Neely charges ‘Howard Stern Show’ personality in Times Square in old video

https://nypost.com/2023/05/06/jordan-neely-charged-howard-stern-show-personality-in-times-square-video/

He had 42 prior arrests, including for drugs, disorderly conduct, and assault, along with more than a dozen run-ins with police throughout the years tied to his mental health problems.  

“The whole system just failed him. He fell through the cracks of the system,” said Carolyn Neely, his aunt.

One of Neely’s assault victims told The Post the city failed the homeless man by not forcing him to get him the mental health treatment he so desperately needed.

“I don’t know why he didn’t end up in Bronx Psychiatric Center,” said the victim, creative arts therapist Anne Mitcheltree.  

“This is a common understanding in psychiatry,” she added, “that agitated people who are aggressive get themselves killed.”  

++++++++++++++

The 24 year old man that put Kneely in the choke hold to control his threatening behavior was not a professional in psychiatric disorders or law enforcement that should be held to a higher standard based on their training.

The extremely long history of arrests, must have also featured many more incidents when Kneely was NOT arrested.........hundreds. However, for him to be arrested that many times, clearly shows that his behavior interacting with other people,  constantly exceeded legal standards and some times violated the safety rights of others.

This also fits the description of many mass shooters, except this guy didn't have a high powered gun. 

If Neely did have a gun and the marine took him out, the marine would be a hero. Instead, he's labeled as a murderer.  I'm just suggesting the mind set of the marine subduing him.

If the dead man were not black and the guy applying the choke hold not white, the dynamic would not be exploited to use the race card again. 

If it comes out that the white guy has a long history of racism and confrontations with blacks, then I'll completely reverse my opinion. But what we do know is about Neely's history.

Most people would completely understand that Neely was constantly putting himself in confrontational situations, threatening people around him at times,  many incidents of law breaking.

It was just a matter of time before this would result in another person that decided they and those around them didn't want to be victimized, would take actions to defend themselves. 

Here's another opinion:

Jordan Neely Is Being Blamed for His Own Death Due to Sanism and Racism

Disability scholar Idil Abdillahi analyzes how Blackness and “madness” are pathologized in overlapping and violent ways.

https://truthout.org/articles/jordan-neely-is-being-blamed-for-his-own-death-due-to-sanism-and-racism/

+++++++++++

I'm well aware that there is racism out there. However, when people use the race card almost all the time, for the sake of their agenda........it hurts the true cause of fighting racism that most of us believe in.

If the messengers are constantly biased, their messages are ignored by those that see this. If you want to make progress to cause change, you must be open minded/objective and able to see both sides and understand the overall picture. 

And most importantly........get rid of the hate/attitude/vindictiveness. 

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/77011/#80628

I am convinced that love is the most durable power in the world. It is not an expression of impractical idealism, but of practical realism. Far from being the pious injunction of a Utopian dreamer, love is an absolute necessity for the survival of our civilization. To return hate for hate does nothing but intensify the existence of evil in the universe. Someone must have sense enough and morality enough to cut off the chain of hate and evil, and this can only be done through love.

-Martin Luther King Jr.

We should all be outraged and saddened that this extremely deranged, mentally ill person is dead. However, it should compel us to try to understand mental illness and how society is failing to address and treat mental illness instead of hating the white guy that killed the black guy. AND DO SOMETHING FOR PETE'S SAKE!

FACTS ABOUT HOMELESSNESS 2022

Dignity is a human right

https://backpackbed.org/us/facts-about-being-homeless/?gad=1

Homelessness and Mental Illness: A Challenge to Our Society

https://www.bbrfoundation.org/blog/homelessness-and-mental-illness-challenge-our-society

According to a 2015 assessment by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, 564,708 people were homeless on a given night in the United States. At a minimum, 140,000 or 25 percent of these people were seriously mentally ill, and 250,000 or 45 percent had any mental illness. By comparison, a 2016 study found that 4.2 percent of U.S. adults have been diagnosed with a serious mental illness.

What are the most common types of mental illness among people experiencing homelessness?

Affective disorders such as depression and bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, anxiety disorders and substance abuse disorders are among the most common types of mental illness in the homeless population.

+++++++++++

Death wasn't inevitable but continued confrontations with people around him were.  Where would that have led?

The system let this mentally ill person down. He should have been institutionalized for in patient treatment by everyone's standards.

I would consider this mentally ill person a type of predator on the streets and something really bad was destined to happen. Totally beyond his control because his mind was broken from mental illness but he was victimizing innocent people with his behavior. How many more times would he get away with this behavior before something really bad happened to him?

He didn't deserve to die. Jordan Neely was NOT a bad person. He was just mentally ill. He deserved professional treatment, starting a long time ago based on responsible human beings with compassion and resources identifying his need. There are people that do that for a living.

Those are the ones that should be held accountable for not doing their jobs.

I have a wonderful idea.

Instead of fighting over who gets the most blame, why don't we do something about it?

Think about how much help we could have provided for desperate people like this in our country with the 115 billion that we sent to Ukraine for killing people that aren't Americans for political agenda.

Jordan Neely in a treatment center, where everybody KNOWS he belonged,  would still be alive on May 6, 2023!

We need to get our priorities straight!

RSIP Jordan Neely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Jordan_Neely

On May 1, 2023, Jordan Neely, a 30-year-old black homeless man, was killed by Daniel Penny, a 24 year-old white ex-Marine, placing him in a chokehold while they were riding the F train on the New York City Subway.[2][3][4] 

According to police, witnesses said Neely was acting in a "hostile and erratic" manner, and yelled that he was hungry and thirsty,[4] and that he would hurt anyone on the train.[5] One witness, freelance journalist Juan Alberto Vázquez, said that Neely did not physically attack anyone, while other witnesses reported Neely throwing trash at other passengers

Comments
By 12345 - May 19, 2023, 10 p.m.
Like Reply

TITICUT FOLLIES IS A DOCUMENTARY YOU WOULD PROBABLY ENJOY.  IT CAN BE QUITE GUT WRENCHING.

I BOUGHT THE DVD, 2O+ YEARS AGO... IT IS SUCH A SHOCKING PRODUCTION, IT GOT BANNED.  ON TV.

THERE ARE  FEW PLACES ONLINE THAT SHOW IT, NOW.

HERE IS A PORTION OF IT

Titicut Follies (1967)

HERE ARE OTHER PARTS

By metmike - June 14, 2023, 10:49 p.m.
Like Reply

New York jury votes to indict man who strangled NYC subway rider

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65910905

On Sunday, Mr Penny released a video on social media saying he did not intend to kill Mr Neely, a 30-year-old homeless man who was reportedly shouting at subway riders before the struggle began.

"There's a common misconception that Marines don't get scared," he said in the video.

"We're actually taught one of our core values is courage, and courage is not the absence of fear but how you handle fear," he added, saying he felt compelled to confront Mr Neely as he acted erratically towards passengers.

"I was scared for myself but I looked around there were women and children, he was yelling in their faces saying these threats. I just couldn't sit still."

"And the three main threats that he repeated over and over was 'I'm going to kill you,' 'I'm prepared to go to jail for life,' and 'I'm willing to die.'"

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/video/daniel-penny-speaks-after-facing-manslaughter-charge-jordan-100006337

Daniel Penny disputes claim of 15-minute chokehold on homeless man Jordan Neely, denies trying to kill him on NYC subway

https://nypost.com/2023/06/11/daniel-penny-says-he-didnt-intend-to-choke-homeless-man-jordan-neely-to-death-on-subway/

By 12345 - June 15, 2023, 10:12 a.m.
Like Reply

ALL I CAN & WILL SAY ABOUT THAT IS: "AT LEAST NEELY IS OUT OF HIS MENTAL MISERY!"

By metmike - June 15, 2023, 10:30 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks, Jean!

This incident, instead of focusing on a white man killing a black man with assumed race as a factor by many should instead be focusing almost entirely on "why did the system fail the dead man?"

Not the dead BLACK man but the dead human being that went thru years of horrible suffering because of a system which isn't designed to effectively manage and help the misfits in society.

The ones needing compassion and assistence the most are being ignored. 

Make this man's death count for something.
DO SOMETHING!

Prosecuting the white man that had the courage to defend other people in the face of LEGIT threats and his own potential harm will do the opposite of help.

That's not justice. That's exploiting the race card and ignoring the authentic facts as seen thru the eyes of those at the scene. That's using politics and race for an agenda. 

DO SOMETHING that helps the millions of other Jordan Neely's in this country. 

Or at least the ones in this particular jurisdiction!

By metmike - July 1, 2023, 11:48 p.m.
Like Reply

Daniel Penny pleads not guilty in subway chokehold death of Jordan Neely; bail set at $100K

He is charged with second-degree manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide

https://abcnews.go.com/US/daniel-penny-expected-court-chokehold-death-jordan-neely/story?id=100334248

By 12345 - July 2, 2023, 9:30 p.m.
Like Reply

I HOPE HE GETS FOUND "NOT GUILTY" OF ANY CHARGES!

THE GUY PROBABLY COULD'VE BEEN HELPED, YEARS AGO ~~ IF ONLY PEOPLE CARED!