is this a confession? fed
9 responses | 0 likes
Started by bear - Sept. 21, 2022, 2:23 p.m.

https://www.kitco.com/news/2022-09-21/Gold-prices-drop-into-negative-territory-as-Federal-Reserve-sees-terminal-rate-above-4-5-in-2023.html

previously the fed expected that rates would be up to 3.4% in 2023, and now they are saying 4.4% in 2023. 

sounds like they are admitting that their previous thoughts about inflation were behind the curve.  they are trying to play catch up.  

just a historic reminder... in all past cycles, the fed had to raise rates above the inflation rate in order to bring inflation back down.  that would currently mean a fed rate above 8%.  

Comments
By 7475 - Sept. 21, 2022, 3:16 p.m.
Like Reply

bear,

Thats a scary "historic note ' ya got there. 

Do you recall the highest inflation rate we had to overcome in the past?

Im not sure how to find that figure and what actually I'd be looking for to do an apples to apples with the 8 figure you mentioned. I suspect the 70's might be an area to look to..

John

By wglassfo - Sept. 21, 2022, 9:30 p.m.
Like Reply

The highest consumer price index was 14,8 % in March 1980

My dot key is worn out, so I had to use the comma for a period in 14,8 %

Sorry about that

Hope you all understand what I am trying to say

By wglassfo - Sept. 21, 2022, 10:49 p.m.
Like Reply

I hope that helps a bit 7475

I also hope I got your handle correct this time

My memory is fading really fast

One reason why I don't post so much

I get things confused and then somebody jumps all over me for a captured brain

I wish my memory was so much better

I watched my father go through this and it isn't any fun

Both of my parents lost their driving privileges which scares me a lot

I am repeating what my parents did which isn't good

Just got back from Fort Recovery, Ohio with some machinery parts

Had an awful time consuming experience at the Canadian Custom authorities

We did not have the required custom brokerage papers they wanted and golly did they make life miserable for us

Impounded our truck at the custom yard until we did the papers correctly

We do this maybe once every 5 yrs so how can we know what is required

A phone call does no good They just say get a broker but when we arrived we found out no broker will touch a single item such as we had

Hard to win when the guys in uniform with guns, say do this and do that And by the way, we tried to do everything as they wished If only we could get the correct information

They wanted a farm business number, which we have NEVER needed before

Plus I D which baffled us as we showed it at the custom booth I guess everybody wants a piece of the action

We would not have got to their window with out showing I D some where, when entering Canada

They had to know that I, D, thing, but do you ask them why??? when they already know the answer

They will just send you back and do it all over again

As it was we waited a good 10 minutes, with only one car ahead of us, waiting for our turn to drive up to the custom window

Driving out of Detroit yesterday evening in a virtual cloud burst of rain made driving a bit tricky with all those lanes closed and winding lanes, just to make things interesting

If you aren't going 100 MPH you will almost get run over, on I-75 south

Now speed doesn't bother an old stock car driver who has driven the Texas NASCAR track, in an infinity car, but visibility is an issue with me, when you have lanes closed and brake lights going off/on constantly

My truck has all the safety features of lane change warning signals, etc but some times all the safety tech just isn't enough

To nite we could not back up as the camera was looking at the ground and thought some thing was behind us

So the safety brakes go on and we can't turn around on our own farm Fun fun fun with a high tech truck

An interesting couple of days for sure

All to replace a worn out tube on our grain cart, replacement tube was worth approx 1300 USD and we supplied the freight charge

I suppose we could bill the farm for the freight charge and aggravation at the customs yard

Now wouldn't that make a lot of sense

Billing  myself for part of the freight cost, as I am a share holder in this farm corporation

All this talk about huge farm corporations and people are talking about me

That hurts a bit

I just want to make a living and pay my bills like every body else That doesn't make me this big evil corporation Does being a farm director for this corporation make me an evil person, the headlines like to trash most farm corporations

Yes we are bigger than most farms but three families have to make a living off this farm corporation

Wonder  what happens tomorrow

Came home and had a peek at the sweet corn harvesting Looks like they may be done harvesting sweet corn This corn is mostly going to the USA market

Hope you folks like it

Saw some in the food store, with our name on it

Not our family corporation name, just the name of who we grow for

We grow and harvest approx 800 acres of fresh market corn on the cob product, for these folks

The yield was very good this yr, even with dry and hot weather

It sure didn't look as good in the store, as when it leaves our farm

We get spoiled with farm fresh corn on the cob

Just go and get it, out of the field

Such is life on the farm

Just trying to earn a living and pay my bills

By metmike - Sept. 22, 2022, 12:38 a.m.
Like Reply

Fed raises interest rate by 0.75 percentage points as US seeks to rein in inflation

Third outsized rate increase in a row as central bank struggles to fight runaway inflation, increasing the cost of everything

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/sep/21/fed-raises-interest-rates-third-increase-in-row

By metmike - Sept. 22, 2022, 12:44 a.m.
Like Reply
By 7475 - Sept. 22, 2022, 7:57 a.m.
Like Reply

Wayne,

I'm cracking -up here   How do you wear out a dot key ?

John

Edit: Hey Wanye,just read your 2nd post and hope I haven't offended you.

And have to say thanks for the kind of insight you give on farming at your scale and type.

I don't have to deal with crossing borders etc. Its easy to get spoiled in this country when you never HAVE to leave home (state) to function!

By metmike - Sept. 22, 2022, 1 p.m.
Like Reply

Wayne,

I'm so sorry that you are facing some cerebral challenges.

This is probably the worst thing that the most people face in their lives. Losing abilities to function that you once had and trying to adjust and even losing independence which is a crushing blow, even to the most prepared.

A couple of suggestions. 

1. If this was very recent and sudden. Did you start any new medications? I take a ton and a couple of them affect how clearly I can think and sadly will contribute to losses in cognitive abilities down the road but I choose them over pain, inflammation, and severe insomnia.

There's often a trade off in those cases. Is the med promising you the POTENTIAL to live longer but at the same time, STEALING things from you today from its negative side affects?

2. Try to do the most challenging mental gymnastics that you can on the internet or other places participating in enjoyable endeavors.

What that means is different for everybody. I've been coaching chess for 25 years. For my dad at 97 that stills plays skilled  chess, this means playing chess against me 3 times a day when I'm in Detroit visiting him. 

Dad doesn't have a computer but has a google voice system that he uses all day long. He asks google dozens of questions every day........just like you and me look things up on our computer.

I love playing chess with him for fun and give him my queen and am often happier......WHEN HE WINS.

I used to play high level adults that were better than me in person and enjoy it. I hate it now. It causes more stress than anything and gives me a bad feeling after I lose.

Coaching allows me to find new sites and ways to teach and is MUCH MORE challenging in many ways, doing it at 5 schools allows me to interact with hundreds of kids and their parents. The massive human contact is of tremendous benefit. 

Being moderator here, allows me to interact with many others and I've learned more the past 4 years as the previous 24 years from fact checking and looking new things up to learn and share. 

And it gives me tremendous reward from helping other people. So I'm accomplishing:

1. Interaction with other people

2. Sense of accomplishment/reward

3. Mentally challenging endeavor 

4. Learning new things to fill my brain and offset mental decline that features the opposite of that.

However, I'm taking meds that are doing the opposite of this but recognize the consequences and accept them.

Wayne, you know yourself better than anybody so I suggest trying to apply these ideas to your life.

Some of this relates to long term habits and the need to learn new habits and new things............which is extremely difficult when your biggest objective is to just NOT LOSE what you have already. 

Here is an example. You even tell us from the get go that you know that you could be doing better.  No judgment or saying what you did was wrong but in this particular thread that you started, metmike did the investigating to find out what you could have done on your own. 

I can tell that you are extremely bright, Wayne and probably a creature of habit like everyone else and its a tough time in your life to be losing mental clarity and feeling really down about it but the antidote is to force yourself to do things that may seem hard at first......then make them a new, good habit.

The cool thing is that only YOU control it and we live at a time in human history that offers the most opportunities to do it entirely ourselves.

Executive order 14067                      

Started by wglassfo - Sept. 21, 2022, 9:21 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/89037/

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/88894/#89034

You can do this, Wayne. I know that you can!

The short version of this is "use it or lose it"

But in this case, you have to be creative in finding new ways to use it.

By metmike - Sept. 22, 2022, 1:26 p.m.
Like Reply

John/Wayne,

I know where you are coming from, Wayne.

Because I type like a madman here and with emails, I go thru a new keyboard around every 7 or 8 months. I tried a couple different ones and still have the same outcome.

Part of it is that I have massive hands/fingers(its hard for me to text, so I email everything) and I hit the keys really hard.

Mostly from hitting  the keys so often that I wear them out.

The current keyboard is 2 months overdue to be replaced.

Having a couple different issues with the current keyboard and one of them is the E, A, S, D, C and L letters are so worn that you can no longer see them.....more like a black key.

Image result for image of keyboard

So this inspired me to look up, for the first time what are the keys that people hit the most often and see if this is part of it............or is it something that I'm doing because these are the same keys that always wear out.

Which Computer Keyboard Keys Wear Out the Fastest?

https://computer.howstuffworks.com/laptop-computer-keyboard-keys-wear-out.htm

People who use desktop and laptop computers for work, in contrast, tend to replace the vowel keys — A, E, I, O and U — and the spacebar and the arrow keys, which Halcrow said are the keys pressed most often when typing.

There's obviously something more to it for me and I must be hitting those keys harder or at a different angle for this to keep happening.

I almost never get the extended warranty on anything. They sell them because the company makes more money than loses on them.

I always get the extended warranty on keyboards and always use it. 

By metmike - Sept. 22, 2022, 3:07 p.m.
Like Reply

I just figured out my keyboard problem........thanks to you Wayne!!!

After reviewing the facts already presented, I actually thought more about what is different about the way that I type that causes different keys to wear out.

Here it is.

I always use the mouse with my right hand and tons of the time (for cutting and pasting 100  graphics and links every day).

Most of those worn letters are from my left hand. In thinking about this for the very first time, I realize that my left hand stays on those keys much of the time, even when not typing, while my right hand is using the mouse.

I always have my left hand sitting on top those exact keys, ready to type during the mouse using by my right hand-although the L is getting pretty worn on the right side.

By golly, that's it. Eureka!

I'm wearing those keys out from just having my fingers on them all the time, even when not typing but they rub on the top and wear out the letters!!!

I just checked it out numerous times and that's exactly what I do.

Wayne, if not for you expressing you current issue, I would have never figured this out. 

thanks, man!