The first, and perhaps last, Culture Corner post
18 responses | 0 likes
Started by JP - July 22, 2018, 9:29 p.m.

One of Frederic Chopin's most well known works, and for good reason. The Polonaise in A-flat major is quite a stirring piece, performed here in a brilliant rendition by pianist Evgeny Kissin.

Polonaise in A-flat major

Comments
By metmike - July 22, 2018, 11:35 p.m.
Like Reply

With almost 4 million views, there are tons of other people that liked it too.

Let's hear what else you have!

By carlberky - July 23, 2018, 11:12 a.m.
Like Reply

John, a more sedate spin-off is Perry  Como's " Till the end of time ".

For Stirring I also like " The 1812 Overture " and " Bolero ".

This video kind of explains what Bolero is all about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILNDWCLVnpw

By metmike - July 23, 2018, 11:55 a.m.
Like Reply

Carl,

I love that song and never heard it done better than your source!

I prefer some of the modern day composers. Hans Zimmer has some awesome "dark" scores that he's done, including the music for the movie "Time":

The 2nd part of this performance(dream is collapsing) that starts just after 3:20,  would be perfect for you to play when the 10 mile wide asteroid is about to strike earth (-:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIk-Kxw_7Kc

By carlberky - July 25, 2018, 5:36 a.m.
Like Reply

We have all heard the saying by Emma Wheller Wilcox that goes :

Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.

i dare say that few of us are aware of  the rest of the poem.

For this sad old earth must borrow it's mirth with troubles enough of it's own.

By mojo - July 25, 2018, 10:23 a.m.
Like Reply

My favorite performance of Bolero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-4J5j74VPw

By cfdr - July 25, 2018, 11:14 a.m.
Like Reply

Carl:

"This video kind of explains what Bolero is all about."

IMHO, Bolero is THE musical representation of making love.  Think about this the next time you listen to it.  It starts out very quiet, and there is no hint of what is soon coming.  It builds and builds and builds - relentlessly - until finally it explodes into the climax - and then it is suddenly over.

This is not the only music that seems to be based on sex.  Listen to Yo Yo Ma's "Soul of the Tango."  Even 30s music like Benny Goodman, etc.  Listen to his Carnegie Hall concert from 1937 and think about this in some of the rhythms. 

By carlberky - July 25, 2018, 11:35 a.m.
Like Reply

" Carl, I love that song and never heard it done better than your source! "

Glad you liked it , Mike … but I don't know if it's the Flash Mob in a mall that I edited in place of the original. 

By carlberky - July 25, 2018, 11:43 a.m.
Like Reply

" IMHO, Bolero is THE musical representation of making love. " 

cfdr,  you are  right … but some people see sex in tea leaves.  ; )

By cfdr - July 25, 2018, 12:50 p.m.
Like Reply

Ha - you're right, of course.

But, I'm too old to see it in tea leaves anymore.  Can still see in in Bolero, however.  (g)

One thing I would like to add to this thread - IMHO, possibly the best music ever written are the late string quartets by Beethoven.  Especially the A minor and the C sharp minor.  I have the Italian Quartet performance and also the Takacs Quartet performances.  Both are very good, but the recording in the 60s by the Italians is really something - but not as good recording quality. 

By JP - July 25, 2018, 2:47 p.m.
Like Reply

Beethoven is a towering figure in music. It's pretty rare for a composer to enter in one era and forge into another; Monteverdi did it (Renaissance to Baroque) and Beethoven surely did it (Classical to Romantic); some think he even forged into the modern era with his late works. He was the first composer to open the door to the the end of tonality as it was once known -- he did it as early as in the first movement of his great 3rd Symphony, and his Scherzos (such as the second movement of his 9th Symphony) intimidated the next generation of composers so profoundly that they gave up writing them! His late works are astonishing. Thank you for reminding me about his late string quartets; the A minor quartet (Op. 132) is a personal favorite, especially the last movement, which leaves me speechless.

By silverspiker - July 25, 2018, 3:33 p.m.
Like Reply

Superb    

By carlberky - July 25, 2018, 4:46 p.m.
Like Reply

Well, John ( JP ), I think Culture Corner turned out to be more than you expected.

By JP - July 25, 2018, 5 p.m.
Like Reply

Yes it did turn out unexpectedly. I am left wondering, however, if anyone listened to the Chopin and liked it!

By metmike - July 25, 2018, 5:02 p.m.
Like Reply

Right on Carl!

A good example of one of the many, many, MANY(as SS would state) intriguing interests that........absent political disagreements would connect us strongly in positive ways. 

Keep it coming. This is why I have always thought that the NTR forum has the most "potential"

By cfdr - July 25, 2018, 8:01 p.m.
Like Reply

JP:

"Thank you for reminding me about his late string quartets; the A minor quartet (Op. 132) is a personal favorite, especially the last movement, which leaves me speechless."

Thanks for your comments.  It is interesting that I, a former brass player, pick the late string quartets as the best music ever written.  (g)  I agree on the last movement, except for the third movement.  That one can bring tears to my eyes, especially played by the Italian Quartet.  I am pretty sure that Wagner, when he heard it, said that it was "terrifying."

Beethoven, I am sure, did not write music because he wanted to write music.  He wrote it because he had to write music.  His late works are even more amazing when one considers that he was deaf at the time.

By JP - July 25, 2018, 8:27 p.m.
Like Reply

While no Beethoven, here's a short work any ex-brass player might reasonably enjoy -- "Kings Herald" by Herbert Howells.

King's Herald

By cfdr - July 25, 2018, 9:27 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks, JP.  I'm camping, so only have limited music listening ability, but have bookmarked your suggestions for later.

The Howells sounds good, even on this computer's speaker.

Have to quit now, but I would be interested in trading other suggestions in the future.

By JP - July 25, 2018, 9:51 p.m.
Like Reply

" I would be interested in trading other suggestions in the future."

Sounds like a plan -- gives a trading forum a whole different slant, eh?