money supply and inflation
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by bear - Dec. 23, 2021, 2:16 p.m.

http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/money-supply-charts

look at M1 on that chart.  OMG.  

makes me wonder, when will it come back down, how fast might it come back down, and where will it bottom.  

Comments
By becker - Dec. 23, 2021, 3:43 p.m.
Like Reply

This bout of inflation is not accidental.  The fed has been intentional and deliberate thus. How else can the 30t govt debt be cleared? Some would believe the US could 'grow' its way out.  Fiat money; are you familiar with the writings of Dr. Seuss? My parents did ok paying back a mortgage with inflated dollars in the 70's.

To make this post TR I would add, yes, markets can be manipulated, routinely. I would have a hearty laugh if someone told me not so.  Silver is one such market, the milk of bullion banks. There is too much Ag above ground at present to make chase imo.

Try this link https://www.usdebtclock.org/   but familiarize yourseld with the story of Perseus and the Medusa first. 

By metmike - Dec. 23, 2021, 4:45 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks becker!

Can Higher Inflation Help Offset the Effects of Larger Government Debt?

https://budgetmodel.wharton.upenn.edu/issues/2021/10/21/can-inflation-offset-government-debt

By bear - Dec. 24, 2021, 12:02 p.m.
Like Reply

the simple and obvious answer here is NO.  ever since we scrapped the last of the gold standard, (especially the last 40+ years),  debt has grown faster than GDP.  

once govts and central banks start to ramp up the print and spend cycle,  there is no history of countries paying down their debt.  the inevitable end is that the currency loses value, and the standard of living declines. 

By bear - Dec. 24, 2021, 12:14 p.m.
Like Reply

sorry, metmike, but that article produced by wharton has no evidence to back it up.

think of it this way.  to a keynsian economist it may sound good, but it is just theory.  what evidence is there to back up this theory?  in other words,  can we find countries in the past that printed more money,  raised the inflation rate, and the end result is that gdp rises faster than inflation?  or does your paycheck rise faster than inflation?  does the general debt to gdp ratio decline substantially?  

from everything i have read in economics, there is only one country that paid down a high debt level over the long term.  that was england in the 1800's.  and they did it on a sterling standard.  NO country on a fiat system has ever done what that article claims.  

just my opinion, ... a person can make all the projections they want,  but i want to see if it Has in fact worked that may for lots of countries around the world, over the last 100+ years.   

a good scientist wants to see lots of evidence in the past,  not just hopeful projections for an outcome in the future.  

By wglassfo - Dec. 24, 2021, 2:31 p.m.
Like Reply

Senator Ron Paul gave a very sensible solution to at least stop increasing the Federal debt

He presented his yrly litany of gov't waste  at a press conference

He did not propose a solution to paying down the debt but at least he gave us a solution to stop digging the hole deeper

1st of all he told us of all the various means of which the gov't wasted our money from building walls in the ME but not on our southern border to scraping perfectly good air planes etc to experiments with pigeons at slot machines  ?? what is with the pigeons??? and some gross things such as grinding up ferrets for what reason I do not know

But alas all of this waste did not balance the budget

His solution??

He proposed to spend just 5 pennies less on every gov't program

According to his calculations this would balance the budget

I tried to find similar spending and deficits with our Canadian gov't

1st of all, depending on who wrote the estimated findings of 2020-2021 spending and the deficit it seems we are in worse shape and some have different numbers

If my findings are correct we would have to spend 10 pennies less on all gov't programs to balance the budget

Can anybody find reason to doubt myself or Ron Paul

Seems rather simple when you think about it

Which means maybe it is too good to be true