Week in Review
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by TimNew - Dec. 4, 2021, 4:57 a.m.

DatePriorCurrentRating
Pending Home Sales_M/MOct-21-2.307.5B-
Construction Spending_M/MOct-21-0.500.20C+
Case/Shiller HPI_M/MSep-211.401.00C
FHFA HPI_M/MSep-211.000.90C
Dallas Fed MfgNov-2114.6011.80C
Chicago PMI_M/MNov-2168.4061.80C
PMI Mfg_M/MNov-2159.1058.30C
ISM Mfg_M/MNov-2160.8061.10C+
ISM Svc_M/MNov-2166.7069.10B-
Factory Orders_M/MOct-210.201.00C+
Consumer Confidence_M/MNov-21113.80109.50C-
Redbook_W/W11/27/202115.3016.90C+
Jobless Claims_W/W11/27/2021199K222KC-
Employment Situation_M/MNov-21531K210KC-

Jobless Claims gained about 23K from an historically low 199K to a nearly historically low 222K,  but that's enough to get it a C-.  Employers really don't want to part with employees in this environment.

Consumers got a little less confident. Not a good thing in the midst of holiday shopping, but Redbook would suggest it's not affecting shopping.

Pending Home Sales took a nice jump as did Construction Spending, all while House Pricies continue to soar at about 18% per annum.

MFG remains strong with Factory Orders showing  nice strength.

The ISM and PMI reports remain wildly positive.  Chicago moderated a bit but remains in the 60+. ISM Svc is just below 70!  I can't recall readings this high.  

The headline this week is the Employment Situation.  In normal times, a gain of 210K jobs is respectable.   But these are not normal times.  Economists expected between 5-600K.  We still have about 4 million fewer in the work force than we did pre-pandemic, and we have over 10 million jobs open.  This shortage continues to be felt, largely in the supply chain, and that is having ripple effects throughout the economy.  It's quite possible those ripples will become a Tsunami.

Lot's of good news this week,  but some foundational concerns restrict me to a C.

Comments
By metmike - Dec. 4, 2021, 11:31 a.m.
Like Reply

The headline this week is the Employment Situation.  In normal times, a gain of 210K jobs is respectable.   But these are not normal times.  Economists expected between 5-600K.  We still have about 4 million fewer in the work force than we did pre-pandemic, and we have over 10 million jobs open.

This is mind boggling when you think about it Tim and with the number of job openings that can't get filled.......you have to ask......"What would cause it to change greatly?"

And the answer seems to be........nothing that I can think of:

https://www.bls.gov/charts/employment-situation/civilian-labor-force-participation-rate.htm

By metmike - Dec. 4, 2021, 11:37 a.m.
Like Reply

The consequences are very counterproductive.

You have millions that are no longer productive in the work force.........no longer paying taxes....so the tax base shrinks, which means that you have to raise taxes on those that are working to get the same revenue.

The Cost of Unemployment to the Economy

It’s not just the price of paying out benefits

https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0811/the-cost-of-unemployment-to-the-economy.aspx

Key Takeaways

• Unemployment has costs to a society that are more than just financial.
  • Unemployed individuals not only lose income but also face challenges to their physical and mental health.
  • Societal costs of high unemployment include higher crime and a reduced rate of volunteerism.
  • Governmental costs go beyond the payment of benefits to the loss of the production of workers, which reduces the gross domestic product (GDP).
By TimNew - Dec. 4, 2021, 1:21 p.m.
Like Reply

Yeah,  non-productive are a double whammy.  We spend money and lose revenue/productivity.

I really thought when we stopped the generous unemployment,  people would head back to work.  I don't understand what's going on.