Steak vs crickets
12 responses | 0 likes
Started by Jim_M - Dec. 2, 2021, 12:24 p.m.

"Cows Are the New Coal." How the Cattle Industry is Ignoring the Bottom Line When it Comes to Methane Emissions (msn.com)

They are coming for our steak and milk.  I contend that a lot of what is wrong in this world could be solved with more effective or expansive birth control.  

It's not pollution that is the problem, it's that given our current technology, there are too many people creating too much trash for the world to deal with effectively.  

Would people be willing to forgo having one more kid and eat steak or have as many kids as they want and eat crickets?  I think we are approaching that point.  

Comments
By metmike - Dec. 2, 2021, 1:44 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Jim!

Well, we know that methane, unlike CO2 is NOT a beneficial gas and unlike CO2 is NOT the building block molecule for life.

By Jim_M - Dec. 2, 2021, 3:56 p.m.
Like Reply

Once they do away with cows, are we next?  We emit more methane than cows do.  

"Facts about flatulence include: The average person produces 0.6–1.8 liters of intestinal gas each day. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that methane production from livestock (essentially cow farts) makes up about 36 percent of the methane pollution that human activity generates."

By metmike - Dec. 2, 2021, 6:22 p.m.
Like Reply

We all know that the war on fossil fuels is having a very powerful and detrimental impact on all the energy markets.....which in turn affects many other markets.

I’m sure that there is plenty going on too related to the same “save the planet” objective that is trying to obliterate the meat industry.....which I know little about.....but would be interested to learn about.

As a practicing environmentalist,  I totally understand the imperative need to conserve natural resources, some that will eventually run out. ....and to minimize pollution. 

But  a fake climate crisis has been invented to accomplish this. It’s turned into entirely political ....the hijacking of climate science and manufacturing convincing sounding false narratives.....exaggerating weather extremes  and distorted, biased misuse of data, that even gets intentionally altered to deceive people for the ends justifies the means political objective.

People need honest science and facts.

Lack of it hurts many Americans.

Farmers raising hogs and cattle for instance being vilified as destroying the planet.....for feeding us!

Crop farmers having to pay near record high prices for fertilizers because they are made with natural gas.....

Fuel costs for drying corn extremely high. 

The American farmer and their livelihood is under attack.

Guess what happens when they get rid of the combustion engine and we go to electric cars.....based on green fairy solar and wind energy?

Good bye corn ethanol demand!

Electric cars use 0 ethanol.

By Jim_M - Dec. 2, 2021, 7:19 p.m.
Like Reply

Remember a couple years ago when AOC said something about getting rid of cows because of the methane?  People should eat something other than meat?  That will come back around again and again and poor farmers are going to have bureaucrats breathing down their neck like the bureaucrats are now with the oil companies.  Weren't there some cities using methane from city dumps as a substitute for NG to heat their buildings?  

Crazy world we are living in.    

It's interesting the things you learn about just poking around.  

This company is "zapping" cow dung with lightning to trap climate-warming methane - CNN

By metmike - Dec. 2, 2021, 8:33 p.m.
Like Reply

Crazy is an understatement Jim.

The only reason that absurdly expensive applications that  are  usually not worth their cost exist.......is because governments are throwing money at them to do it. People..........including scientists will go to where the money is. 

"N2 Applied has received over 17 million euros (around US $19.2 million) of funding from the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation program.

The Global Methane Pledge, launched at the COP26 summitin Glasgow in November, committed to reducing methane by 30% by 2030."

metmike: The Biden administration will be rewarding all sorts of projects like this and much, much more..... fake green energy/wind/solar........ studies that show we have a climate crisis and so on.........so it's a no brainer that they are financing a fake climate crisis.

Some of the projects will be legit, some will not but more than anything else, they will all be motivated by the pot of gold..........and all you need to do is provide applications for grants/funding that show your project or study has an objective that relates somehow to the climate crisis.

Then...........FREE MONEY!  It's the biggest driver of this movement right now. 

$555 billion to fight the fake climate crisis            

Started by metmike - Nov. 2, 2021, 12:19 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/76969/

By becker - Dec. 3, 2021, 8:45 p.m.
Like Reply

The earth is now overcrowded with 7b people.  Darwin, Malthus? Who you gonna call? 

By wglassfo - Dec. 5, 2021, 10:46 p.m.
Like Reply

Yikes:

When they get rid of the ICE engine no more ethanol

HA:

Do you really think EV will grow enough food??

Nothing to worry about losing the ethanol market

Grain prices will go sky high and still not produce enough food

We will all own a mule team, plow and set of harrows for tillage

Good by soil conservation and our precious top soil

I suppose we will grow more hay, pasture and grain to feed the mules

That would save top soil

So how does EV grow enough food

Even at a conservative 12 hrs daily use can a 4-600 H.P tractor, combine etc EV be recharged daily??

Smaller power units you say?? Well then you just need more. It takes energy to produce food. Some methods are more efficient than others. Mules are very inefficient. But if that is all you got that will move on the farm. Well then use what works

No way Hoo Say I says to you, can EV produce enough food. Who cares about ethanol??? How do you ration the EV???

Our farm does not have 640 volts to re-charge or 3-4 240 volt panels. Not enough power on our local grid running past our farm to re-charge let alone the neighbours needs

Mules can't produce surplus food in todays society

EV can't get re-charged quickly enough, for long enough

Silly wabbit

Will EV even keep us warm in winter???

By mcfarm - Dec. 6, 2021, 7:33 a.m.
Like Reply

the left will feed and warm the elites Wayne. The peons will eat cake and freeze. The left cares not a wit. See how bad the smash and grabs are in California right now and yet Pelosi is behind her secure walls counting her money.

By Jim_M - Dec. 6, 2021, 11:51 a.m.
Like Reply

AOC says smash and grab is just your imagination.  That it's not really happening.  

By bear - Dec. 6, 2021, 7:45 p.m.
Like Reply

how about more beano for the cows ??? 

but as far as steak vs crickets, i am not a huge fan of either one.  

i know a lady that says you need to eat more rabbit.  she claims rabbits are a better meat source.  you can get more pounds of meat per acre, and they do less damage to the environment.  i had rabbit stew once,... it was ok.  

By bear - Dec. 6, 2021, 7:46 p.m.
Like Reply

just don't take away my cheese !!! i love cheese.

By Jim_M - Dec. 7, 2021, 6:07 p.m.
Like Reply

I live about 45 minutes from Amish country here in Ohio.  Amish love to make cheese.  Heini's cheese house has (or used to before the pandemic) had a huge room with literally dozens of cheeses that you could sample.  I'm with you on that Bear.  I love cheese too.