US gymnasts offer scathing assessment of FBI
1 response | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Sept. 15, 2021, 7:37 p.m.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/572452-us-gymnasts-offer-scathing-assessment-of-fbi       

Star U.S. gymnasts offered stark criticism Wednesday of the FBI's handling of its investigation into sexual assault and harassment in the U.S. gymnastics program, prompting criticism from lawmakers of the Department of Justice.  

“We have been failed and we deserve answers,” Olympic medalist Simone Biles, widely considered the greatest U.S. gymnast of all time, said during testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee.

The entire day of testimony was a difficult one for the FBI, which fired one agent involved with the investigation a week before the hearing. 

“I want to begin by saying to the brave women who testified this morning … I’m deeply and profoundly sorry to each and every one of you,” FBI Director Christopher Wray said in his own testimony. 

“I’m sorry that so many different people let you down over and over again. And I’m especially sorry that there were people at the FBI who had their own chance to stop this monster back in 2015 and failed, and that is inexcusable,” Wray said.

metmike: As somebody that has coached 3,500, K-12 students, in chess the past 24 years  as well as in baseball, basketball, soccer and taught religious education to the same age groups for 15 years............this really ticks me off.

I've read about pedophiles weaseling into programs that are designed to serve our youth and help develop their minds and bodies and they almost all get busted eventually but this case is so off the charts for how blatant it was, for so long to so many victims.

It was a big failure by dozens of adults that were involved or knew what was going on but didn't do anything, in not protecting these girls for various reasons. There were up to 250 victims of this predator. It's almost impossible for me to imagine how it could get over a few dozen girls before adults stepped in to stop this.

Comments
By metmike - Sept. 15, 2021, 7:38 p.m.
Like Reply

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_Gymnastics_sex_abuse_scandal

The USA Gymnastics sex abuse scandal relates to the sexual abuse of female athletes—primarily minors at the time of the abuse—over two decades in the United States, starting in the late 1990s. More than 368 people alleged that they were sexually assaulted "by gym owners, coaches, and staff working for gymnastics programs across the country."[1][2] Particularly, longtime USA Gymnastics (USAG) national team doctor Larry Nassar has been named in hundreds of lawsuits filed by athletes who said that Nassar engaged in sexual abuse for at least 14 years under the pretense of providing medical treatment