Clever new web site trick?
6 responses | 0 likes
Started by Jim_M - Aug. 6, 2021, 1:12 p.m.

I've had it happen a couple times now, where if I click on a thread, I get a pop up ad.  The last couple have been for Open Table.  

Anyone else notice that or had that happen to them?  

Comments
By metmike - Aug. 6, 2021, 2:09 p.m.
Like Reply

Yes, but sometimes I can't tell if it's because I hit the wrong thing by accident with my right hand tremor or if it was what you suggested at play. 

By Jim_M - Aug. 6, 2021, 4:48 p.m.
Like Reply

Since it has happened to both of us, that would eliminate the tremor theory.  

By metmike - Aug. 6, 2021, 6:05 p.m.
Like Reply

There is no doubt that this is one of the objectives with adds and pop ups..........put them in the best place that will cause people them to load on a person's computer when they are on a particular site.

No doubt there is a science and well developed strategies for being most effective at doing this.

It's a billion dollar industry!

New Data on Why People Hate Ads: Too Many, Too Intrusive, Too Creepy
https://www.vieodesign.com/blog/new-data-why-people-hate-ads

By metmike - Aug. 7, 2021, 2:15 p.m.
Like Reply

I think that you meant to put that post here Jim             

Re: Re: Re: Re: NG 7/24/21+            

By Jim_M - Aug. 7, 2021, 12:01 p.m.            

Thanks Mike.

By the way, it wasn't a twitch, the site just did it to me again.  The irony is the first time it happened to me, I clicked on the wrong thing and closed the site entirely.  I'm pretty sure that isn't what they want to happen...  :)

By Jim_M - Aug. 7, 2021, 2:42 p.m.
Like Reply

There is a scene in the movie Ready Player One where they talk about how they have studied they can cover a page by 80% with ads before a user has a seizure…

By Jim_M - Aug. 8, 2021, 3:31 p.m.
Like Reply

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that someone clipped that part for YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpPE85Jogjw