AOC on Inflation
7 responses | 0 likes
Started by TimNew - July 29, 2021, 6:12 a.m.

Whether you agree or not,  this is an aytypically inteligent statement from her.

AOC skeptical about inflation: Price increases are ‘sector specific’ and could be due to ‘supply-chain issues’ (msn.com)

If this was an overall inflationary issue, we would see prices going up in relatively equal amounts across the board no matter what the good is.’

Contrast that with her comments on Amazon coming to NY.

AOC Celebrated Amazon's Pullout; Cuomo Said It Cost 25K Jobs | Time

“Today was the day a group of dedicated, everyday New Yorkers and their neighbors defeated Amazon’s corporate greed, its worker exploitation and the power of the richest man in the world,” Ocasio-Cortez wrote on Twitter. The new development would have been in the Long Island City neighborhood of Queens, near Ocasio-Cortez’s district.

$0 for schools. $0 for firefighters. $0 for infrastructure. $0 for research and healthcare,” she tweeted Thursday. “Why should corporations that contribute nothing to the pot be in a position to take billions from the public?”

The first statement on inflation contains something resembling financial literacy.  The 2nd is total nonsense.  Tax incentives cost the public nothing. These are not grants.  They are incentives to lure a company to an area to generate tax revenue that didn't exist before their arrival. Her effort cost thousands of jobs and millions, perhaps billions in revenue.

It's hard for me to believe the same person made both statements and the 2nd is typical of her fnancially illiterate clap trap.  I'm assuming the first and more recent statement was coached.

Comments
By metmike - July 29, 2021, 7:23 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks much Tim!

AOC and Tim on the same page about something.

I just looked out the window and saw my first flying pig(-:

By TimNew - July 29, 2021, 8:09 a.m.
Like Reply

HaHa.  Not necesarily saying I agree,  tho I will admit I don't disagree.  :-)

But my main point was that it's doubtful both statements came from the same person.

Edit:.  I should elaborate.

Supply chain disruptions will certainly affect prices and those effects can be sector specific.  But that's incomplete. There are literally millions of factors that affect price.  And her blanket statement that itypical nflation pressures affect all sectors equally is false.  

But her statement is light years ahead of what we typically hear from her.

By cutworm - July 29, 2021, 8:15 a.m.
Like Reply

Tim educate me about why everything goes up at the same rate. What am I missing?

I don't think that different markets react equally and at the same pace to inflation. 

Everything I buy for the farm, the business, and the house, have gone up. Some more than others. Some sooner than others.

If devaluing the currency causes inflation possibly imported goods may go up sooner and maybe for a time more.

Causing a labor shortage by paying people to stay home might cause labor to rise faster. and it takes the economy time to adjust,

If this was an overall inflationary issue, we would see prices going up in relatively equal amounts across the board no matter what the good is.’

By cutworm - July 29, 2021, 8:17 a.m.
Like Reply

Mike were you just to Cincinnati? They have a lot of flying pigs there.

Edit ;

So Why DO Pigs Fly in Cincinnati? | Cincy Shirts

By TimNew - July 29, 2021, 8:20 a.m.
Like Reply

Hiya Cutworm.   I elaborated a bit above in an edit.    I can go into more detail if you like,  but bear in mind,  economics is a hobby of mine.  I have almost no formal education.

By cutworm - July 29, 2021, 8:32 a.m.
Like Reply

oh ok We are on the same page then. Thanks

By bear - July 29, 2021, 2:49 p.m.
Like Reply

when you have inflation, prices do NOT go up equal amounts in each sector.  AOC is very naive.