Watching society evolve.
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by mcfarmer - July 20, 2021, 8:28 a.m.

As an education major I took a ton of sociology classes back in the day. It’s interesting to watch our society evolve in real time, these are big developments.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/19/technology/marjorie-taylor-greene-twitter.html

If conservatives got past the knee jerk reactions they would support things such as this. This free market/private enterprise tackling a social ill without the help of government.

For those used to reading nothing longer than tweets :

“Twitter said on Monday that it was suspending Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene from its service for 12 hours after she posted messages that violated its policy against sharing misleading information about the coronavirus.”

Comments
By cutworm - July 20, 2021, 1:10 p.m.
Like Reply

Sorry i could not access the Times articial.

"If conservatives got past the knee jerk reactions they would support things such as this. This free market/private enterprise tackling a social ill without the help of government."

For those used to reading nothing longer than tweets :

“Twitter said on Monday that it was suspending Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene from its service for 12 hours after she posted messages that violated its policy against sharing misleading information about the coronavirus.

I contend that twitter and other PLATFORMS are the new  "Public Square" from which free speech is a right. Their protection under section 230 makes them a utility. If they don't use 230 protection is when they would be private and able to censor, because they would be liable. But when liability is removed they become a utility and loose their right to censor.

So I contend that it is not a",free market/private enterprise tackling a social ill without the help of government."

But Can a utility with section 230 protection censor?

Section 230 says that "No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider" (47 U.S.C. § 230). In other words, online intermediaries that host or republish speech are protected against a range of laws that might otherwise be used to hold them legally responsible for what others say and do. The protected intermediaries include not only regular Internet Service Providers (ISPs), but also a range of "interactive computer service providers," including basically any online service that publishes third-party content. Though there are important exceptions for certain criminal and intellectual property-based claims, CDA 230 creates a broad protection that has allowed innovation and free speech online to flourish.

Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act | Electronic Frontier Foundation (eff.org)

By mcfarmer - July 20, 2021, 1:19 p.m.
Like Reply

curworm, all very salient points. I agree, they need to be on one side of the fence or another. 

Question, and I really don’t know, can they be classed as a utility involuntarily ?

How is that determination arrived at ?

And wouldn’t that be a form of nationalization ?