Presidential debate September 29, 2020
10 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Sept. 29, 2020, 11:49 a.m.

metmike: Debate of the century?

Any predictions?

I predict that Joe Biden will not be brain dead(-:

Also that President Trump will attack hard )-:

Trump, Biden set for high-stakes showdown

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/518674-trump-biden-set-for-high-stakes-showdown?userid=565140

"Washington is bracing for an extraordinarily ugly and personal debate Tuesday night between President Trump and Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden, where nothing will be off limits as Trump seeks to make up ground in a race that appears to be slipping away.

The candidates, both in their 70s, are expected to attack one another over their age, mental acuity and fitness for office. Trump has questioned whether Biden has lost a step central to his campaign and the president has said he wants the challenger tested for drugs before the encounter.

Trump will almost certainly face allegations of racism at a moment of extraordinary civil unrest in the country.

The showdown between two men could also turn toward allegations they’ve faced from women, ranging from inappropriate touching to sexual assault.

The candidates’ private lives and their children are expected to be dragged into the proceedings. Trump has already said he’ll invoke Biden’s son, Hunter Biden, who Republicans say personally profited off of the former vice president’s political connections.

The New York Times report on Trump’s taxes has handed Biden a treasure trove of potential new attacks he could use to question the president’s wealth, business acumen and conflicts of interest, which Trump takes very personally.

“This should be the epic and Biblical slugfest we’ve all been waiting for,” said one Democratic strategist who talks with the Biden campaign. “We’ll either walk away knowing who will win the election or scratching our heads over what we just watched.”

Democrats are on edge believing that Trump is preparing to go nuclear on Biden in an effort to land the game-changing moment he needs with just over a month to go before Election Day.

Polls show Biden with a comfortable national lead heading into debate night. The Democratic nominee also leads in most of the core swing states that will determine the outcome of the election, and he’s running close to Trump in right-leaning states the president must win to have a shot at reelection.

Many of the dynamics that worked in Trump’s favor during his narrow election victory in 2016 are working against him this time around. Biden has run up a big lead in the polls among independents, suburban women and voters who dislike both candidates. Third-party voting is not expected to be a big factor in 2020. 

Democrats see that as a combustible mix of elements for an already unpredictable foe who shows no restraint in his attacks during good times or bad. "

Comments
By mcfarm - Sept. 29, 2020, 4:55 p.m.
Like Reply

Damn right Trump will attack hard, as he should. This is a rough game and as Biden and Co have tried for 4 years to put Trump and his family in jail they deserve every bit of what Trump will dish out. The msm has so stacked the debate tonite that as long a Biden does not crap his pants on live TV they will proclaim him a huge victor. I think Trump needs to be aggressive and end with a thoughtful, sincere, even rare for him, moment when he becomes Presidential. Gives his rendition of the bright future America has and how we get there.

By the way, where did all the talk go about Trump dumping Mike Pence go? Seems the experts also blew that prediction like all the others about what Trump will and will not do. He has Trumped them again.

By mcfarm - Sept. 29, 2020, 8:49 p.m.
Like Reply

By metmike - Sept. 29, 2020, 11:53 p.m.
Like Reply

That was not that fun to watch )-:

First debate descends into chaos as Trump and Biden exchange attacks

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/trump-biden-first-presidential-debate/

download-1.png

By 7475 - Sept. 30, 2020, 7:12 a.m.
Like Reply

The debate was disgusting.

Ive never seen a debate that wasnt simply a bitching and bragging session.

How can anyone say there was a winner and loser?

What a joke.

John

By mcfarm - Sept. 30, 2020, 9:45 a.m.
Like Reply

the debate was embarrassing. The debate was a mess. The blame goes to the 3 people involved. Shame on them. But Chris Wallace especially. He seemed from the very start out of control and bound and determined to play defense for Biden at every turn. That thru the debate off even further than it already was. I was listening to Jim Jordan just prior to the debate was thinking right then what a great moderator he would of been. Now the word is since Biden showed he will not debate again. Not that it would change many votes but they should complete the 3 debates.

By metmike - Sept. 30, 2020, 2:19 p.m.
Like Reply

It was so ugly I was tuning it out after awhile.

In the early going, when Trump talked over the moderator, repeatedly, it told us that Trump

was going to be the usual Trump with no discipline/self control or tact.

Deb came home in the middle and noticed Trump acting this way and it bothered her.

Trump is always like this. This is part of his personality that causes people to hate him so much.

Biden, cognitively did almost as well as I expected(and better than 1 side wanted) but

he was confused a couple of times and during the climate change portion, which I listened carefully

to he couldn't express his ideas properly. He said twice that he was NOT for the Green New Deal but then told us

why the Green New Deal would work............suggesting that he actually  was for it.  He used the word "energy" for CO2.

Biden increases the distance between me and  him when he discusses the completely fake climate crisis(we are having a climate optimum for life on this greening planet) with anti science, wrong facts. For instance, the US is not going under water as he and Bernie insist because the oceans are increasing at the rate of just over 1 inch/decade. 

The "climate fires" were NOT caused by climate change. 

I expected Trump to call names and be vicious, this is who he is but was surprised on how mean Biden was. He was calling Trump names constantly...........liar, fool, clown several times, racist, nothing smart about you.

One of the areas where Biden can shine the brightest, to show he is NOT Donald Trump,  treatment of an opponent with respect, he got right down into the gutter with him and may have out insulted Trump. I don't ever remember that happening.  Maybe it just seemed that way because I was so surprised to see Biden like this. 

By joj - Sept. 30, 2020, 9:28 p.m.
Like Reply

I admit I felt ill watching it.  But as a Biden supporter I was watching for one thing and one thing only.  Would Biden have multiple senior moments or a complete brain freeze?  I wanted the morning reporting to be about ANYTHING else.  Success!  The morning headlines were essentially "Candidates Degrade into Food Fight!"  Biden, in a roundabout way cleared the last hurdle.  

But it won't stop Trump from attempting to rip the country in half.

By metmike - Sept. 30, 2020, 10:14 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks joj!

By metmike - Sept. 30, 2020, 10:17 p.m.
Like Reply

Biden says Green New Deal is not his plan, but campaign site calls it ‘crucial framework’

https://nypost.com/2020/09/30/biden-says-green-new-deal-is-not-his-plan-but-campaign-calls-it-crucial-framework/

But his campaign page offers a different message on the $1.7 trillion, 10-year “Biden Plan for a Clean Energy Revolution and Environmental Justice.”

“Biden believes the Green New Deal is a crucial framework for meeting the climate challenges we face. It powerfully captures two basic truths, which are at the core of his plan: (1) the United States urgently needs to embrace greater ambition on an epic scale to meet the scope of this challenge, and (2) our environment and our economy are completely and totally connected,” the page says.

Markey, following Biden’s debate remarks, said progressives are not abandoning him.

“I support the Green New Deal and I’m voting for Vice President Joe Biden,” the senator said in a statement, according to Boston.com.

“Donald Trump is wrong,” Markey continued. “The progressive left is with Joe Biden, and we will pass a Green New Deal.”

By metmike - Sept. 30, 2020, 10:27 p.m.
Like Reply

Whether he wants to call it the Green New Deal or he wants to call it the "Biden Plan" to make us think that he thought it up, there is a near 0% chance that it could work in this universe.

Unless somebody comes up with a new source of energy that doesn't exist right now.

no more gasoline powered cars in 2035            

6 responses |                              Started by GunterK - Sept. 25, 2020, 2:34 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/59519/

And the reason to do this............to save the planet is a big fat fake reason. 

The planet is greening up from the best weather/climate/CO2 levels in over 1,000 years during the current climate OPTIMUM.

It bothers me as an environmentalist and atmospheric scientist that climate science has been hijacked for the political agenda and people brainwashed with junk/anti science.