College football: conferences with mostly red/blue vote to play/not to play
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by WxFollower - Aug. 11, 2020, 11:43 p.m.

No surprise for the Big 12 to vote to play as it continues the general pattern of red state schools wanting to play and blue state schools not. The Big 12 is mainly in red states. The same is the case for the SEC and to a lesser extent the ACC. OTOH, the PAC 10 and Ivy League are mainly in blue and the Big 10 is mainly in blue or purple states. Just noting a correlation.
So predictable in this way. Politics is clearly intertwined. And I’m not trying to take sides here.

Comments
By 7475 - Aug. 12, 2020, 9:19 a.m.
Like Reply

I am of the opinion that it is not politics at play here but instead mindset and values.

Which of course affects one's political view but let's put our "cause and effect" in proper sequence.

John

By metmike - Aug. 13, 2020, 1:26 p.m.
Like Reply

I agree with Larry on this.

However, 

College football schedule tracker: COVID-19 related news, updates

https://www.ncaa.com/live-updates/football/fbs/college-football-schedule-tracker-covid-19-related-news-updates

By metmike - Aug. 13, 2020, 1:39 p.m.
Like Reply

Desmond Howard wants Nebraska to apologize to the Big Ten

Desmond Howard criticizes Nebraska for trying to play football elsewhere this season, saying if he were the Big Ten, he'd be looking for ways to kick the Huskers out of the conference.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/29645676

There is politics involved with the decision making here with red/rural states going towards playing and blue/urban states not playing. But also, conferences

with more urban football programs have more COVID.  Liability is the main issue.

NE, being a very rural/red state is going to be unhappy with the Big 10's decision to not play. There isn't much COVID in NE.

Should intolerance of their dissenting view be reason to kick them out of the conference as Desmond thinks?  That's pretty extreme but seems consistent

with the mindset these days.