mcfarm-rain
25 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - July 20, 2020, 2:08 a.m.

Hopefully not Harleyed on this one mcfarm!

Let us know how much rain you get!

Base Reflectivity

Full resolution version loop (3400x1700 pixels - 2.2mb)

Central Great Lakes sector loop
Go to: Most Recent Image

Comments
Re: mcfarm-rain
0 likes
By metmike - July 20, 2020, 2:11 a.m.
Like Reply
By cutworm - July 20, 2020, 7:05 a.m.
Like Reply

I think I'm 60 miles east of mcfarm.

The last rain I had on over 1/2 of my corn and beans was June 29 , 25/100.  the other 1/2 caught between 1-2 inches between July 6 and15th. Just a trace last night.

Corn is silking and beans are flowering

Edit WAS Harleyed last night

By mcfarm - July 20, 2020, 7:43 a.m.
Like Reply

Hi cutworm...yes rain all around yesterday but just not here. 1/2 of 1/10th in the gauge. very frustrated as our crop were devastated in May with 6 to 8inches of cold rain and we have lots of replants and cannot catch a rain now. We get the thunder and wind and then it  either changes direction or just fades

By bowyer - July 20, 2020, 9:57 a.m.
Like Reply

We had a storm blow through 8:30 a.m. yesterday. 6/10'' rain. Trees down everywhere. Our power was off 8:30 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. i had to clear highway with my chainsaw as trees were across both lanes

By mcfarm - July 20, 2020, 11:37 a.m.
Like Reply

BTDT Bowyer, feel your pain. Now lots of farmers will wonder til October how badly the corn is down and how bad will harvest be,

By metmike - July 20, 2020, 11:39 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks for the reports............keep them coming!

Sorry for the bad weather some are experiencing. The upcoming weather has some positive things.

In sw IN, we've been blessed with wonderful, timely rains, unlike most to our north and east(mcfarm/cutworm).

The precip map below for the next 7 days, looks great for much of the country............but IN(well northeast of here) and OH could miss.

Thats when it really hurts. 

When almost everybody is getting a rain...............just not you.

Prices tank as the size of the national crop grows................and your crop shrinks.

I have a couple of farmer buddies that like to joke about this affect. They will say "Mike, you can bring us some good weather and bring a drought to IA?"

By cutworm - July 21, 2020, 7:58 a.m.
Like Reply

Received 3-10 on some of my crop last night. Still hurting on 50% 

By metmike - July 21, 2020, 11:29 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks cutworm,

Got another 1.1 here yesterday before noon.

The crops here, especially the corn is unbelievable. Got to be a record here.....but nothing like they produce in IA or C.IL with that black soil.

This far southwest, we didn't get any of the Wisconsin glacial deposits of wonderful top soil like areas where mcfarm lives did.

cutworm,

You are exactly the guy I want to talk to about this. Where you farm, is exactly on the boundary of where the southern edge of the Wisconsin glacial deposit is.

Would be interested in your take about soils there. What county are you in again?

Right where you live, the soils must change pretty quickly, the cutoff juts across Franklin county. Is this where you farm?

Indiana Soil and Landscape Evaluation Manual

https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/ay/ay-323.pdf

By metmike - July 21, 2020, 11:36 a.m.
Like Reply

Here's the precip map that I forgot to include last night.

Hopefully the blues shift more northeast for you guys who are on the boundary.

Tue update........the blues have shirted farther east. Let hope it happens!

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/qpf/p168i.gif?1566925971

By cutworm - July 21, 2020, 11:42 a.m.
Like Reply

Yes Mike I am right on one of the two moraines that were pushed up from the last glacier. More late when I get time 

By metmike - July 21, 2020, 4:27 p.m.
Like Reply

The maps below show how things have been drying out for you guys:

Soilmoisture anomaly:

These maps sometimes take a day to catch up to incorporate the latest data(the bottom map is only updated once a week).

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/Soilmst_Monitoring/US/Soilmst/Soilmst.shtml#

Daily Soil Moisture Pecentile       

Daily Anomaly Soil Moisture (mm)

Monthly Soil Moisture Change

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/regional_monitoring/palmer.gif

By metmike - July 21, 2020, 4:29 p.m.
Like Reply

You are considered to be in a slight drought right now.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/              

Drought Monitor for conus

By metmike - July 21, 2020, 4:38 p.m.
Like Reply

Here the % rain compared to average for the last 7, 14 and 30 days.

By pll - July 21, 2020, 7:47 p.m.
Like Reply

Mike been a month since we have had a decent rain. Got 1-3.5 today

By metmike - July 21, 2020, 8:20 p.m.
Like Reply

Congrats pll!

I see storms marching across IL along and just north of I-70 Hopefully won’t  Harley mcfarm but conditions are still decent  or better for mcfarm and cutworm to get a great rain for the next couple of days.

By pll - July 21, 2020, 8:32 p.m.
Like Reply

I am about 35 miles north of i70 straight nort of Effingham

By metmike - July 21, 2020, 8:48 p.m.
Like Reply

Well then, congrats on just getting nailed with more great rains.

I couldn't remember exactly where you were. Thanks

By metmike - July 21, 2020, 9 p.m.
Like Reply

If these storms can hold together for several more hours, mcfarm will be "singing in the rain"

OK, he's doesn't seem like the type of feller to be singing but watching these storms hit the Indy area, would be "candy to his eyes"

The last 18z GFS ENS model update for rains the next 36 hours has IN as the main target...........including as far southeast as cutworm.

We just watch the radars now thru Wed Night to see what actually develops. 

Weather Model

By metmike - July 22, 2020, 3:02 a.m.
Like Reply

Be interested in getting a rain report from our Indiana producers.

We got another .5 inches here in the garden spot of sw Indiana.

By cutworm - July 22, 2020, 4:44 a.m.
Like Reply

3/10 so far at 4;42 am. Hope that rain west of 65 holds together and gives us some more

By metmike - July 22, 2020, 6:30 a.m.
Like Reply

Yes cutworm, this next batch is looking pretty promising if it holds together for over an hour!

By metmike - July 22, 2020, 6:32 a.m.
Like Reply

If anything it’s shown some signs of growing. This is good. Really good.

By metmike - July 22, 2020, 7:01 a.m.
Like Reply

Mcfarm got some needed rain. How much?

After this blob of rain moves east. A boundary and some upper level support could result in new rains developing later today or tonight.

Indiana is in the atmospheric sweet spot right now.

By metmike - July 22, 2020, 7:17 a.m.
Like Reply

Traveling over the dry soils is trying to dry up the rains as they track east now so cw May not get as much as Mcfarm but hopefully you can get another .5

By metmike - July 22, 2020, 12:29 p.m.
Like Reply

Another rain for cutworm this morning, to add a few more tenths to his totals with IN being in that "sweet spot" for rains right now.

I would think mcfarm had to get over 1 inch and cutworm might be up there close to an inch (though heaviest amounts might not have been over him).

Rain chances will slip southeast later tonight, so we need to get, while the gettin is good!