RIP John Lewis
10 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - July 19, 2020, 2:02 a.m.

John Lewis, Towering Figure of Civil Rights Era, Dies at 80

Images of his beating at Selma shocked the nation and led to swift passage of the 1965 Voting Rights Act. He was later called the conscience of the Congress.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/17/us/john-lewis-dead.html

Comments
By metmike - July 19, 2020, 2:04 a.m.
Like Reply

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lewis_(civil_rights_leader)

John Robert Lewis (February 21, 1940 – July 17, 2020) was an American civil rights leader and politician. He was a member of the Democratic Party, and was the U.S. Representative for Georgia's 5th congressional district from 1987 until his death. He was also the dean of the Georgia congressional delegation. The district he served includes the northern three-quarters of Atlanta

Lewis, who as chairman of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) was one of the "Big Six" leaders of groups who organized the 1963 March on Washington, played many key roles in the civil rights movement and its actions to end legalized racial segregation in the United States. He became a leader of the Democratic Party in the U.S. House of Representatives, serving from 1991 as a Chief Deputy Whip and from 2003 as Senior Chief Deputy Whip. He received many honorary degrees and awards, including the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

By metmike - July 19, 2020, 12:23 p.m.
Like Reply

Trump orders federal flags to fly half-staff to honor Rep. John Lewis

https://nypost.com/2020/07/18/trump-orders-federal-flags-to-fly-half-staff-to-honor-john-lewis/?utm_source=browser&utm_medium=push-notification&utm_campaign=trump-orders-federal-flags-to-fly-half-staff-to-honor-john-lewis

I'm sure that anti Trumpsters are convinced that Trump was not sincere and did this for political reasons.

After all, in the past, when somebody dies that wanted to take down Trump, he is capable of using some unkind, inappropriate remarks.

So I will say its at least likely political and tied to his being so far behind in the polls.

However, he did it.

Never Trumpsters reaction to anything that Trump does which is good or that contradicts their belief system about him(racist) is to always blame it on a fluke related to his political motives..............so that they don't have to ever give him credit for anything good.

By metmike - July 19, 2020, 1:37 p.m.
Like Reply

Sorry Mr. Lewis to cut in on your well deserved tribute. Consider this a departure from this world present...........Trump looking bad on Fox (-:

Trumps interview with Chris Wallace on Fox made him look pretty bad on numerous issues.

The only one that I agree with him on is that the massive increase in testing is contributing to a great deal of the greater positives. How people disagree with that does not make sense.

How can you triple the number of tests over the past 2 months and not expect to increase those testing positive(less serious cases) by, possibly twice as many?

Trump downplays virus, disputes bad polls in testy interview with Fox's Wallace

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/508009-trump-downplays-virus-dispute-bad-polls-in-testy-interview-with-foxs

"He also complained about his inability to hold rallies in some areas of the country due to the coronavirus, accusing “Democrat-run states” of not allowing him to do so.

Trump’s appearance on “Fox News Sunday” — his first Sunday morning show interview in more than a year — comes less than four months out from the election, as polls show the president in an uphill race against his competitor."

I realize that the other side is claiming millions of people practicing no social distancing with protesting is  NOT causing an increase in COVID(and disagree) and Trump rallies would have only a fraction of that number but the risks in that environment are clearly much higher for each person there than at a protest.

He needs to totally eliminate his desire to have a rally between now and the election. No question, this is the environment that he LOVES the most. Thousands of his most loyal followers cheering for him.............right there, where he can see them in person and get the self serving adenaline rush/ego boost.

Some of them WILL be(not might-will be) getting COVID at a rally. Those people will spread it to others in the community. 

Even if they all wore masks..........this is the most contagious virus in our lives. We do NOT need rallies. We do NOT need protests.

However, people DO need jobs..............this is a priority.

Children DO need to be educated properly............this is a priority.

Pick your battle defending those legit realms to make a case for taking some risk with smart risk/reward benefits.

Everything else?

If you manage the numbers from everything else not needed(keep them low enough) we can open the economy and schools up more. 

By metmike - July 30, 2020, 4:47 p.m.
Like Reply

The Most Moving Photos from John Lewis' Funeral and Memorial Services

The esteemed congressman and civil rights activist was remembered at a funeral attended by Barack Obama, George W. Bush and Bill Clinton on Thursday, after several days of meaningful visitations around the U.S.

https://people.com/politics/john-lewis-funeral-memorial-moving-photos/

By metmike - July 30, 2020, 4:53 p.m.
Like Reply

An 'unbreakable' man: Former presidents hail civil rights icon John Lewis at funeral in Atlanta

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2020/07/30/john-lewis-funeral-set-thursday-atlanta/5520752002/

"In response, the masked mourners at the private service gave Obama a thunderous ovation. The best way to honor Lewis, who served in Congress for four decades after his work in the civil rights movement, is to continue the struggle for voting rights, Obama said.

Lewis, whom Obama hailed as “a man of pure joy and unbreakable perseverance,"was a leader in the nonviolent demonstrations that led to passage of the Voting Rights Act of 1965."

metmike: But please stop the protesting.......even the peaceful protesting because its massively spreading COVID in many areas(other areas from opening up).

Millions of people, some with no masks, even though its outdoors is the recipe for spreading COVID.

Thousands of lives are being lost because of this. How many lives are being saved?

By mcfarm - July 30, 2020, 4:58 p.m.
Like Reply

MM, I listened to part of Obamas speech today at the Lewis burial. You will be more generous than me but if you get  a chance listen to it. To me it was so typical of Obama to enter to a solemn moment and starte his typical race dividing and baiting,,,,not to mention pandering. And why is it the new popular for libs to use eulogies now days for political purposes. It is something do a lot now days ad it is unseemly to nasty ugly.

By metmike - July 30, 2020, 6:03 p.m.
Like Reply

mcfarm,

I wasn't going to say anything  out of respect for John Lewis in this thread to honor him but you are exactly right about what Obama did. 

I will not be kind in my assessment, I will be completely honest.

I actually didn't listen to the speak because I'm getting ready for a visit to Detroit to see my dad but the quotes I saw made me feel very disappointed in Obama.

I've actually done several eulogies myself.

The person doing it, should focus almost entirely on the life and accomplishments of the deceased. Always positive. 

There are reams and books of information about the progress of civil rights since the 1960's that John Lewis played a key role in ...............but Obama, apparently decided to not focus on that.

Many many civil rights laws and changes to give minorities equal power under the law.....that John Lewis fought for and won many, many victories. 

Instead Obama decided to use his platform for his own personal, very divisive message...........and passing it off as the fight for John Lewis.

I call BS on Obama from someone that does Eulogies. 

You absolutely use a eulogy to focus on  THE LIFE ACCOMPLISHMENTs of the person being euologized NOT telling us what he did not accomplish as evidenced by the LACK of progress and the need for us all to do what Obama tells us we need to do............to carry on the fight. 

This man had enough awards and achievements to spend a couple of days worth of Eulogizing over. Obama choose his personal politics over that. 

Here are some quotes from the article to illustrate that:

ATLANTA – Barack Obama challenged the nation Thursday to honor the memory of John Lewis by picking up the fight for his signature issue, voting rights, during a eulogy for the civil rights giant in which he was joined by two other past presidents, George W. Bush and Bill Clinton.

At the funeral atEbenezer Baptist Church where the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. once preached, Obama invoked the names of Southern segregationists of the 1960s to make a point about how little has changed when it comes to protesters standing up against government oppression to try to right what they perceive as injustices.

"Bull Connor may be gone, but today we witness with our own eyes police officers kneeling on the backs of Black Americans. George Wallace may be gone, but we can witness our federal government sending agents to use tear gas and batons on peaceful demonstrators," he said. 

In response, the masked mourners at the private service gave Obama a thunderous ovation. The best way to honor Lewis, who served in Congress for four decades after his work in the civil rights movement, is to continue the struggle for voting rights, Obama said.

Lewis, whom Obama hailed as “a man of pure joy and unbreakable perseverance,"was a leader in the nonviolent demonstrations that led to passage of the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

Obama said voting should be made easier to former prison inmates who earned their place back in society, that early voting should be expanded and election day should be a national holiday.

"Even as we sit here, there are those in power who are doing their darndest to discourage people from voting," said Obama in a not-so-veiled swipe at Republicans. He cited the closing of voting locations and stricter identification card requirements that target minorities and students"

metmike: When I heard that Obama was doing the eulogy, I was thinking "great person, he will do a wonderful job, thank God its not Al Sharpton.

When I read the quotes, my heart sank.

Look at this link, at all the accomplishments of this great man that Obama should have focused almost entirely on. Again, this is a EULOGY. It doesn't matter if I agree or disagree with Obama's political message......  You should spend almost the entire time on this mans many accomplishments!

John Lewis (civil rights leader)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lewis_(civil_rights_leader)

By metmike - July 30, 2020, 6:09 p.m.
Like Reply

https://www.funeralguide.co.uk/help-resources/arranging-a-funeral/planning-the-service/how-to-write-a-eulogy

What is a eulogy?

A eulogy, or funeral speech, is an opportunity to pay tribute to the person who has died, by giving a short speech about their life and what they meant to you. It’s regarded as an honour to be asked to give a eulogy for a loved one or friend and if you’ve been asked, a sign that you played an important part in that person’s life.

If you’re feeling anxious about the responsibility of getting it ‘right,’ remember that every eulogy is meant to be unique. Although there are guidelines you can follow, writing a eulogy is also about things that come from the heart.

What is the purpose of a eulogy?

The eulogy at a funeral is a way for someone who knew the person who has died well to sum up their life, remind people who have come to mourn about the character of that person, and pay respect to them.

Why is a eulogy important?

Hearing a eulogy gives people a way of remembering the important parts of the person they’ve come to mourn. A well written eulogy should not only sum up a person’s life, character and impact, but if possible, it should shed light on less well known aspects of that person.

By metmike - July 30, 2020, 6:16 p.m.
Like Reply

Preparing a Eulogy: A Step-By-Step Guide

Delivering a eulogy for a friend or family member is a wonderful way to participate in the funeral service. It is an opportunity to acknowledge the importance of the life lived, and to remind survivors of the memories and legacy left behind. 

https://www.remembranceprocess.com/capturing-a-life-in-words/guide-to-writing-a-eulogy/

Themes can be questions like:

• “Who was Bob Miller?” A son, a husband, a brother, a mechanic, a sports fan…
  • “What makes a father special?” Giving you advice and letting you make mistakes on your own…
  • “What would this town be without Martha Evans?” No meals on wheels, no arts and crafts club, kids who never learned how to read…

These themes ask a question. The question is answered by all the stories and memories you’ve collected. Other themes could be:

• “Courage in the face of adversity”
  • “He will live on through…”,
  • Metaphors, like “His life was like a garden”
  • A loosely organized series of stories like ‘All I know about life I learned from fishing with dad.”

The themes are there if you look. Perhaps it’s:

• “The kitchen was the center of our family”
  • “The seasons of her life”
  • “He showed his love through his actions, not his words”
  • “She taught us all the importance of thrift”
  • “She taught us all the importance of having a good time”

If you have trouble coming up with a theme, take a look at the “Quotes,” “Readings,” “Scripture and Prayers” and other resources on this site for inspiration.

metmike: A eulogy is entirely about that man or womans life while he/she  was living on earth. End of story. 

Make that, "is supposed to be" about their life (-:

By mcfarm - July 31, 2020, 11:25 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks MM. I am glad we both agree that Obama pretty much hates most things American, even the tradition of a burial and eulogy. By contrast giver a look at what W said and how he said it. What a wonderful, kind, respectful speech he gave. If you have time I would like to read a review of W's like you did obama's