DEFUNDING THE POLICE WORKED HERE
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by wxdavid - July 9, 2020, 4:26 p.m.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/i-was-the-mayor-of-cincinnati-when-we-reformed-our-police-department-following-racial-unrest-and-crime-has-since-tumbled-2020-07-09?mod=home-page

Opinion: I was the mayor of Cincinnati when we reformed our police department following racial unrest — and crime has since tumbled

Comments
By wxdavid - July 9, 2020, 4:30 p.m.
Like Reply

camden  nj

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/06/12/camden-policing-reforms-313750

The City that Really Did Abolish the Police

And rebuilt the department from the ground up. The strange, hopeful, politically complicated story of Camden, N.J.

By wglassfo - July 9, 2020, 4:34 p.m.
Like Reply

I will bet not very many people know about a success story like this

I wonder why more police departments or mayors haven't followed this example

It worked so what is the problem with other cities

If somebody else grows a better crop than I do

I want to know why and copy as much as  possible

By cutworm - July 9, 2020, 7:49 p.m.
Like Reply

Wx  Cincinnati never defunded their police dept. But they did reform their police dept. 

From your article 

"This was all done without a significant increase to the size of the police department or impact to the city’s budget. "

There was no Chop zone. in Cincinnati.

By metmike - July 9, 2020, 8:27 p.m.
Like Reply

Dave,

Thanks, you are making my case 100%. 

All 3 of those changes are the ones that I have been insisting are needed, going back to a year ago and even before that on the old forum. 

Every police department should do this, including the involvement in the community to increase the trust of cops and cops getting to know good black people in the community, not just the riff raff they come in contact with all day long, every day.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/i-was-the-mayor-of-cincinnati-when-we-reformed-our-police-department-following-racial-unrest-and-crime-has-since-tumbled-2020-07-09?mod=home-page

Three components

The Cincinnati Collaborative Agreement included three main components. The first changed the policies for police use of force and put an emphasis on training officers in de-escalation tactics. Tasers were introduced to decrease the reliance on the use of batons and other physical force, resulting in fewer injuries to suspects as well as police officers. Officers also were trained to understand and identify inherent racial bias. 

The second component focused on transparency of police conduct to ensure accountability. The Citizens Complaint Authority (CCA) was established and given concurrent jurisdiction over allegations of serious police misconduct. The subsequent use of body cameras has further contributed to increased transparency of police action.

As part of the third component, bias-free and community-based policing were enacted with the goal of reducing crime and building trust in the community. This approach, through the Cincinnati Initiative to Reduce Violence (CIRV), de-emphasized over-policing of low-level offenses in order to focus on a small number of violent offenders.

Since the introduction of the Collaborative Agreement, total arrests in Cincinnati are down more than 50%, from 47,188 in 2000 to 21,487 in 2019. With the CIRV in place, the most serious crimes (those against people or involving violence) are down 36%. This was all done without a significant increase to the size of the police department or impact to the city’s budget. And the city has maintained generous funding across other services like mental health services, affordable housing and social services while still supporting the Collaborative Agreement programs (including the CCA and CIRV). "

Dave,

With regards to them defunding the police..........you completely made that up to make it appear as if your position of defunding of police worked................but the story actually shows how NOT defunding the police using common sense changes works.

Your title here is fake news about this situation! 

DEFUNDING    THE POLICE WORKED HERE

By GunterK - July 9, 2020, 9:26 p.m.
Like Reply

thank you, david. These examples are rarely publshed, and many of us did not know about them. In conclusion, police/citizens relations can indeed be improved, without defunding the police. We all know, we do need the police. Without police, our lives would be in chaos, wkith criminals ruling the streets... or should I say, like in CHAZ.