Internet censorship
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - May 17, 2020, 1:08 p.m.

I was reading a commentary about lost liberties due to the corona virus and slow re-opening

During my reading, the claim was made that the internet is censored, in the west I presume.

I did not know if the internet was censored

Does anybody know if there is censorship of the internet in the west?? or not true

I don't think so but what do I know

Comments
By metmike - May 17, 2020, 3:30 p.m.
Like Reply

Wayne,

I think that it is. 

Gunter is the expert on this because the stuff that gets censored comes from sources that he sometimes uses.

I would not have thought it was a problem, except for several links that he has sent that no longer work, with a message "no long available" or "account suspended" message.

I have had this happen a couple of times with links that I used in the past and went back, as I often do to show a resource to support something.

I think this is rare and mainly just applies to far right stuff but am wild guessing.

In some of those cases that Gunter gave, I would have really liked to see the information myself and decided for myself. I totally understand that in many instances that its unsubstantiated bunk/propaganda that thousands of people(on the right will believe and pass on). However, some of it is true and the all knowing experts have decided that if THEY think it is probably NOT true, they can pull the plug.

What if 10-20% of it IS true(my guess)?

It's exactly that 20% of truth that we will NEVER hear because its censored. 

Who gets to decide this?

I was researching Al Gore's horribly wrong predictions, starting shortly after 2007, that all the Arctic sea ice would be melted  by the Summer of 2014.

Such a dumb prediction that never came anywhere close and 100.000% FALSE in every way shape or form. In fact, there is just as much ice now as there was almost a decade ago.

So I figured Snopes, the almighty, universal fact checker would rate this one as False as you can get........but Snopes is very liberal/far left biased, so THEY decided to rate it only partly False.

The absurd justification was that Gore was just using other peoples predictions not his.......as if everything else he forecast was not the same thing and insanely, that he only meant the Summer ice would be melted and he didn't mean in the Winter(when temperatures stay below 0 for months) that the ice would be melted.

If they can't give Mr. climate crisis a solid, emphatic FALSE on something like this......then what really is false?

It's whatever lines up with their politics and THEY are the almighty fact checkers, like these other sources are that decide what videos to take off.

So maybe Snopes is correct 98% of the time?  You can get bet that the 2% they get wrong will be related to their blatantly biased politics, like they did when blowing the rating on Gore's well documented FALSE prediction.

Interesting previous discussion on this here:

Did Al Gore Predict Earth’s Ice Caps Would Melt by 2014?            

18 responses |             

Started by metmike - March 4, 2019, 3:13 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/25264/

By metmike - May 17, 2020, 3:37 p.m.
Like Reply

Who Is Fact Checking The Fact Checkers?

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/fact-checkers-big-media/

metmike: The answer to the question above, is that sometimes, people like me are checking them/catching them........on issues like the Gore ice prediction. However, for every 1 person that reads me busting them at least 1,000 people will read their bogus ruling as "Gospel" and believe it.

By metmike - May 17, 2020, 3:45 p.m.
Like Reply

So the bottom line is that fact checkers, regardless of whether they are right or wrong are not censoring information. However, more powerful entities just as biased, use the same principles to fact check political information and make rulings that DO censor information.

Let me ask. What % of the time do they have to be correct in order to apply censorship in your opinion?

Ideally 100% but we know thats not the case.

If they are right 98% of the time, is it ok to censor 2% of stuff that is authentic?

What if they are right 90% of the time? Is it ok to  censor 10% of stuff, which is almost all right leaning that has some validity?

How is it that they have this power?

I agree with them in almost every case that when they censor things, they are almost all contraversial and divisive. But sometimes, in the minority of cases they are contraversial and divisive because they make good points. 

By wglassfo - May 17, 2020, 5:07 p.m.
Like Reply

Hi:

to anybody that has an answer

If I get a 503 error on my screen

Does that mean I have an old and not an up to date operating system on my lap top. I do all the updates, that come my way, but my lap top is old. I bought it second hand.

Or has the site been censored and no longer available

By metmike - May 17, 2020, 6:54 p.m.
Like Reply