Countries looting of medical supplies
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - April 5, 2020, 1:37 p.m.

At 1st we thought if people became desperate, food and drug supplies would be the likely target of looting by individuals or gangs, which has happened in isolated locations

Thus we were inclined to accept martial law and troops patroling the streets in order to keep shop owners and individual homes safe from gang activity

To my knowledge this hasn't happened yet as the level of looting hasn't reached a crisis [I may be wrong as my info may not be correct] about troops patroling the streets but I have not read of any such patrols

What we did not anticipate was countries looting medical supplies, by  re-directing supplies to another destination, namely the USA

France, Germany and Canada have all accussed the Trump administration of piracy in the looting of medical supplies and re-directing plane loads of medical supplies to the USA instead of the intended purchaser

Who would have thunk the USA would be the biggest gang looter in the world

Comments
By metmike - April 5, 2020, 8:01 p.m.
Like Reply

No matter what Trump does, it will be wrong.

Condemned for not getting enough supplies, then condemned for not getting them by waiting in line or by insisting US produced masks stay at home while the UScontinues to be more short on masks then other country's and is leading the world in infected people that need to be cared for.

Interesting that Germany is one of the country's bashing the US right now. 

Germany Faces Backlash From Neighbors Over Mask Export Ban

March 9, 2020,

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-09/germany-faces-backlash-from-neighbors-over-mask-export-ban

"A diplomatic spat has erupted between Germany and neighbors Switzerland and Austria over a decision last week by Chancellor Angela Merkel’s government to ban most exports of protective medical equipment.

Switzerland has called in the German ambassador to complain about the decision to block a shipment of 240,000 face masks, while Austria’s economy minister demanded her German counterpart order the release of supplies destined for her country.

The appeals for Germany to be more generous in sharing vital supplies with its neighbors come after it declared an export ban of medical protection gear last week unless for use in aid operations. They also highlight growing tensions among European countries amid a rapidly increasing count of coronavirus cases across the continent."

Now it's a month later and Germany has a different tune, despite the needs recently being the greatest in the US:

Germany and France Blame Americans for Playing Dirty Over Masks

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-03/germany-and-france-blame-americans-for-playing-dirty-over-masks

By metmike - April 5, 2020, 8:39 p.m.
Like Reply

One of the more interesting elements in the story is that Canada stockpiled 50 million masks that have had their 10 year period for use expired but these masks are approved for use in an emergency.  Canada is not short on masks like the US is.

I have 30 N95 masks left from a  box of 40 from over 10 years ago and they will work just great. N95 masks are the only ones that work. Cloth masks are almost useless.

Justin Trudeau Says Canada Won't Retaliate Against U.S. for Banning Exports of N95 Masks

https://time.com/5815733/canada-us-n95-mask-export-banned/

What's the matter with this guy for not retaliating because the US is making masks and keeping the masks in the US and not selling them to other countries like it did before the US was struck with the worst of any country by the pandemic?

"Canada has more than 12,924 confirmed coronavirus cases, including 214 deaths. Twenty two of those deaths are linked to one nursing home in Ontario.

The United States has 339,000 confirmed cases..........26 times more than Canada.

That's why he's not retaliating. He KNOWS that the US  has a need for 26 times more masks than his country needs and  Canada was stockpiled with 50 million masks to start with. And he knows those masks can be used and they have no severe shortage like the US has had for 4 weeks now.

Roughly 55 million N95 masks in Ontario expired before coronavirus hit

https://globalnews.ca/news/6651402/ontario-coronavirus-masks-medical-supplies-expired/

"Thirteen years ago, Ontario stockpiled some 55 million N95 masks and other medical equipment after the province bore the brunt of the SARS epidemic in Canada in 2002 and 2003. But provincial officials have confirmed that the masks in the stockpile have passed their expiration date and sidestepped questions about how many masks, including expired ones, remain.

Coronavirus outbreak: If COVID-19 was standard flu, WHO would’ve declared a pandemic ‘ages ago’

Public health officials have said masks may be less effective beyond the expiration date determined by the manufacturer. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the past has recommended use of expired masks only under “crisis” shortage situations."

metmike: Let's use some common sense here. Why would we expect the country with the most infections and most severe mask shortages right now in the world.........by a wide margin to ship masks that they are making to a country that does not have the same mask shortage and has 26 times less infections?

Because before the pandemic emergency that's what we were doing?

26 times more infections and the most people in the world dying right now here. Why aren't other countries that don't have a mask shortage sending them to us is the bigger question?

Oh, that's right, Russia sent us some, along with other medical supplies. Of all the countries...........EVIL Russia.

And the MSM, with their yellow/dirty journalism tried to call it propaganda to let us know that it was not really an altruistic, generous humanitarian gift.  

Turning the Tables, Russia Sends Virus Aid to U.S.

A planeload of coronavirus aid to New York was a propaganda coup for the Kremlin — tempered by an intensifying epidemic at home.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/02/world/europe/coronavirus-us-russia-aid.html

"For the Kremlin, the shipment was a propaganda coup: the latest chance to show Mr. Putin’s nation and the globe that the days of Russia as a supplicant on the world stage were long gone."

metmike: How pitiful that the NYT and MSM can't be grateful to Russia for helping us out but instead, like with Trump, even when he or they do something good, they have to spin it into something bad.

Seriously, this was a generous gift and exactly what we needed the most from Russia and the other countries are bashing Trump instead of trying to help him based on who needs the most help right now.

Should the world supply of masks be divided up equally to ever country?

Yes if they all have the same needs.

Or should the supply of masks go to where they are most needed? 

Yes in every case except one. The one where Trump is president because whatever Trump does or wants its wrong. 

Being attacked by the same groups for not having enough masks out of one side of their mouth and for being unfair using his powers to get/keep those needed masks out of the other side of their mouths. 

By metmike - April 5, 2020, 9:02 p.m.
Like Reply

SInce nobody else will say it(except Gunter so far).

I would like to express my sincere appreciation to Russia for their generous gift of desparately needed medical supplies, including the N-95 masks. The only ones that work.

Russia is also dealing with the Coronavirus at home and the uncertainty but sees how extreme the crisis is in the US.

Russia is not perfect and who knows, maybe they think this will mean a favor back at some future point. Nobody can say that and there is nothing in their gift that requires that, other than unsubstantiated speculation from the Russia haters. 

By wglassfo - April 11, 2020, 9:40 a.m.
Like Reply

Hi Mike

Canada still has a shortage of protective medical equipment, while our numbers are still on the upswing

I would also remind you approx 1300 Canadian nurses cross the border to help your hospital needs. Many contacted the virus as front line workers did every where

The reason Trudea won't retaliate is he is a weak kneed coward when faced with a bully

What he could do but won't [why I do not know] is release that 5G Chinese lady back to china in exchange for medical equipment

It seems your country thru us under the bus when we apprended the lady when her plane landed on Canadian soil.

So now you won't take her into custody as you said you wanted, and we hold her in house arrest with an ankle monitor, and pay the price with bans on Canadian AG products

Which hurts you folks because any grains leaving NA is a plus for all of NA

But we are stuck with Trudeau who I do not want as my leader

By wglassfo - April 11, 2020, 9:55 a.m.
Like Reply

Hi Mike

I looked up our medical shortage to find out why we are short of supplies

Way back in early March, Canada sent 16 tons of medical supplies to china when they were trying to contain the virus in Wahun

Of coarse  one would think either

1: we had enough supplies for anticipated needs

Or Trudeau was just trying to do the right thing

Or he is a simpleton

Take your choice but china has not returned the favour and that explains why we are short of supplies

I can't do a link as you know. I have tried but my memory is failing which is a pain in the butt. I just goggled the story and let it go at that