America last / America first
11 responses | 1 like
Started by cfdr - June 11, 2018, 12:19 p.m.

What a difference in such a short time.

“It is human nature that what starts as gratitude, becomes dependency and ends as entitlement.”

Cicero

Comments
By TimNew - June 11, 2018, 12:45 p.m.
Like Reply

Trump is doing almost everything he promised to do during the election campaigns... And has accomplished most of it in under 2 years.  

Among many things, he's the 1st president in history who kept his campaign promises, and he's being vilified for it. It's all so contrary to the "Blame America First"  mentality of the left.  

By cfdr - June 11, 2018, 1:13 p.m.
Like Reply

Tim,

You mean you aren't TIRED OF WINNING YET??

(VBG)

By TimNew - June 11, 2018, 1:31 p.m.
Like Reply

We have not yet begun to win enough  :-)

By wxdavid - June 11, 2018, 1:43 p.m.
Like Reply

Canada   Mexico  and  China are 3 biggest  US    trading  partners.

anyone who thinks this is good  and trump is  handling  this well... is a Moron. 

By TimNew - June 11, 2018, 1:56 p.m.
Like Reply

I don't support the idea of Tariffs.  That's one area where I give Trump low marks.  Don't know if that makes me a moron or not. 

By Lacey - June 11, 2018, 2:29 p.m.
Like Reply

How should he handle it? Keep giving away middle-class jobs.  They are already gone. He is just trying to bring some back. Keep the tariffs up for American exports, but remove all barriers to imports.  That is what the prior 3 administrations have done, and is why we are where we are at.  Finally, someone willing to put America first. He will go down as one of the best ( for America) presidents of all times.

By mcfarm - June 11, 2018, 4:06 p.m.
Like Reply

just how many billions in tariffs should we pay to satisfy you david? dairy product tariff to Canada 297%  ...sound fair or walked on? Why do we have to walked on to satisfy?

By cfdr - June 11, 2018, 5:24 p.m.
Like Reply

@wxdavid

What do you think is the end result of sending a half trillion dollars overseas every single year?  Every single year.  Suppose some of that money is what financed China's expansion into ag in South America and now Africa?  So, we send China money that they use to build agriculture industries that directly compete against us.

They also buy up our income producing assets with that cash we send them.  Especially income producing assets where they can steal trade secrets.  And military secrets.

We have no choice but to produce more of what we consume.  We cannot afford to send money overseas to buy consumables while we pay people here to do nothing.

Again, what do you think is the end result of sending massive amounts of money overseas in exchange for consumables? 

By cfdr - June 12, 2018, 6:28 p.m.
Like Reply

I always enjoy reading Pat Buchanan.  He gives a bit of history about this too.

http://buchanan.org/blog/behind-trumps-exasperation-129460

Also, a quote from Niccolo Machiavelli sums up the current situation perfectly:

“It must be always be remembered; there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones. ”

By TimNew - June 13, 2018, 6:15 a.m.
Like Reply

For some reason, we hear very little about this..  Or at least I haven't heard much on it.   Trump feels all countries should remove all Tariffs, all trade barriers,  and end all subsidies.  Now,  this makes sense.    But for those who feel the US should be subsidizing the world, as apparently many in the US do,  this is heresy.  Some report this as a reversal..  But that assumes he's been in support of assorted artificial economic inputs like tariffs and subsidies..  I'm not sure that's true.  Granted, he placed them on the table...   But,  how else do you open the subject for discussion?

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-suggests-dropping-all-tariffs-trade-barriers-at-g7-summit-2018-6

"During a press conference at  the G7 summit in Quebec, Canada, Trump said that he suggested that all tariffs, trade barriers, and industrial subsidies should be dropped in order to facilitate free trade. 

"No tariffs, no barriers, that's the way it should be," Trump said. "And no subsides, I even said not tariffs." 

By cfdr - June 13, 2018, 8:49 a.m.
Like Reply

No trade barriers sounds good, but - do you just let a massive trade deficit go until it causes massive amounts of pain?  Do you do what is probably good for the world as a whole even if it hurts your own country in the long term?

This is a decision that must be made, IMHO.

The market has its way of dealing with trade imbalances - eventually.  Those imbalances can easily lead to war, however.  My thought is that we should have something like "trade dollars" - where we set a limit on how bad our trade deficit can get before we intervene.  Let's say we are showing a $500 B deficit, and we want to cut it down, over time, to $200 B.  We issue "trade dollars" (TDs) for the maximum amount of imports we will allow.  If you export to us, for every dollar in value, you need one TD.  For every dollar you import from us, you receive a TD.  These TDs are put on the market - there is a TD market exchange.  A country that buys from us can simply sell their excess TDs on this exchange.  In this way of controlling our deficit, trade cannot be used as a weapon - we allow the market to do what it does better than any other way.  No bribes, etc.  And, the deficit is managed before it leads to something no one wants to see.

Again, this is just the mind of a poor dirt farmer working on something that is quite possibly out of my comprehension, so I welcome any comments.