Virus control
4 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - March 5, 2020, 10:56 p.m.

Some people are taking the threat of a virus outbreak seriously and others think differently

No wonder as out own officials have vastly different stories to tell us. Every nite on the TV some body is giving advice and a personal perspective/opinion

Be that as it may be

Do you think life as usual and let the virus run it's natural coarse is the best solution

Or do you think containment or lock down is the best way to control the virus

We have the virus in our country and also your country

Some are buying up supplies, even MM bought some stuff. I think any kind of lock down would be almost impossible to enforce. Desperate  people will try some crazy stuff

In our community nobody is worried about the virus. Nobody is buying anything other than normal every day shopping. If we get a confirmed case of the virus in our community I have no idea what would happen

Personally I will ask my doctor for advice about essential medical supplies. I some times wonder if we should stock up on some essential food but so far have done nothing.

Comments
By metmike - March 6, 2020, 11:49 a.m.
Like Reply

"Some are buying up supplies, even MM bought some stuff."

No Wayne, I did not buy anything and have zero intentions to buy anything. We have soap and water. If the Coronavirus picked up here,   I would do everything the same that I always do.........except wash my hands a few more times a day.

The biggest changes for me has been posting stuff on the Coronavirus here.

I was at the pharmacy to get a prescription yesterday and had the chance to ask the pharmacist some questions/have a discussion.

She said that there were at least 50 requests from people who wanted face masks and hand sanitizer.  

She is extremely frustrated and bothered by the over reaction.

The funniest thing is that she said, "Hand sanitizer doesn't even work for virus's. All you need is soap and water. Just wash your hands frequently and you'll be just fine"

She kept repeating that hand sanitizer does not work and told me how there are people scamming/price gouging on the internet, charging over $100 for hand sanitizer because its sold out. Face marks sold out a long time ago.

She apparently is not correct about hand sanitizer not working for virus's. If it has over 60% alcohol it kills most virus's and the bacteria/germs that we know its most effective at killing.

Crazy times we like in.

By metmike - March 6, 2020, 11:53 a.m.
Like Reply

I expected everybody to keep acting like Chicken Little/Henny Penny but its very sad to witness it.  

The good thing is that peoples actions clearly show that they are expecting the absolute worst as their fears have exceeded the risk by over 1,000 times (again, think flu fatalities and what we will end up with regarding Coronavirus)  

What that means is that the Coronavirus is going to have one heck of a performance to shock people down the road, after we've accepted it...............the accepting phase is taking place very rapidly right now(accepting and dialing in the worst-people are desperate to get things like masks and hand sanitizers that won't even stop the killer Coronavirus)

So when the numbers ramp way up as March goes on..............as they WILL, of course we will hear about the blame but at some point, people will no longer be dealing with the petrifying unknown and enough will be known for them to calm down and act rational and use their heads vs emotions driving them now.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/epa-releases-list-disinfectant-products-approved-kill-covid/story?id=69412861

EPA releases list of approved disinfectants to kill coronavirus, and why homemade sanitizer won’t work

The list includes multiple products from brands such as Clorox and Lysol.

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-diy-hand-sanitizer.html

Hand sanitizer sold out? Here's how to make your own. | Live Science
With concerns about COVID-19 running high, supplies of hand sanitizer at local stores may start to run low. If they run out, is it safe to make your own, and will DIY hand sanitizer protect you ...
www.livescience.com

With concerns about COVID-19 running high, supplies of hand sanitizer at local stores may start to run low. If they run out, is it safe to make your own, and will DIY hand sanitizer protect you against coronavirusinfection?

During recent weeks, sales of hand sanitizer have skyrocketed, peaking around 73% higher than they were at this time last year, The New York Times reported yesterday (March 3). Prices of hand sanitizer on Amazon have also soared, with one seller recently offering a 24-pack of Purell travel-size bottles for $400, Newsweek reported

metmike: Crazy times we live in. All I can say to people is stop trying to get face masks and hand sanitizer and calm down. Wash your hands a few times a day and it will help lessen your chances of getting the flu...........that might kill 100 times more people than the Corona virus in the US this year. 

By wglassfo - March 7, 2020, 3:24 p.m.
Like Reply

I was sure you posted you found some face masks in a different part of the store

I was obviously wrong

You know what you bought

I don't

Please accept my apology

By wglassfo - March 7, 2020, 3:50 p.m.
Like Reply

Some scientist have models showing world infections being worse than the common flue

Anybody saying what to expect will happen is pure speculation at this time

China did a severe lock down and it seemed to work

However, the follow up may not be so good

There is evidence that a person can have the virus, then be virus free as they are healthy enough to be virus free, only to become infected a second time

China will have a problem with back to work orders, with possible carriers going back to work

We know virtually nothing at this time, other than a lot of speculation

In your country and ours we have people freely moving about, especially people arriving from foreign countries

The number of carriers in a free moving society would increase the possibility of the number of infections IMHO

That said we all hope the virus is not a serious problem

We know the numbers are small today, relative to many other causes of death

Let's hope it stays that way