Dow break 28k, barely..
4 responses | 0 likes
Started by TimNew - Nov. 15, 2019, 4:07 p.m.

Strong buying into the close.   Funnys tell me it's not unreasonable.  Gut tells me Monday is a sell.

Comments
By wglassfo - Nov. 16, 2019, 2:26 a.m.
Like Reply

How long can this cycle last

I been wrong for two yrs

Good thing nobody listens to me

By TimNew - Nov. 16, 2019, 8:10 a.m.
Like Reply

I listen.  I just don't always agree  :-)

This bull has had the longest  legs I've seen in my lifetime.  The fundamentals are not as strong as they were. Weakness is creeping into everything except consumer spending, a concept which seems juxtaposed...  We'll have more pullbacks and everyone knows growth can't continue forever... Capitalism is intrinsically cyclic.  

I think next year's election could bring it to an end.  A Trump loss, Dems keeping the house and taking the senate.  The left's platform is sooo anti-capitalist.  But the American businessman will adjust and growth will resume after a serious correction.

A pub landslide, equally unlikely IMO,  will probably cause a spike.  

We'll probably end up somewhere in the middle. 

We'll see, But IMO, politics are driving the economy like never before and in exactly the way the founders feared.

By wglassfo - Nov. 16, 2019, 9:52 p.m.
Like Reply

You know so much depends on who or what stats you read

I read or looked at a chart that showed the consumer was pulling back on spending

The reason given was just guess work as near as I could see, but the person had a nice chart to show the reader

But one thing is real, consumers are buying cars with gosh awful long number of yrs in payments

Then they buy another car and just roll the old debt into new debt making things worse, but as one wag said it just wouldn't do to not drive a Lexus, when going to pick up the kids at school

So all things considered maybe the consumer is spending but it is being driven by debt. Dealerships make more money originating loans and selling extra insur etc than the actual profit on the car sale. People do dumb things but when the dealer offers 1-2% int  [we paid zero on 73 months]and bank is 4-5%, why not take the dealer financing. The thing is our car is not worth the debt owed against it. I know because I asked

[2016 Jeep SUV AWD Cherokee]

Then Wall St rolls the loans up into bonds and somebody buys

I don't think houses on a natn'l scale are selling as quickly, as in the past buy new housing starts are strong. There are a zillion houses, condos etc for rent all over the world. Does that mean the owner is trying for help paying the mortgage??? I dunno but you can rent anything from a tree house to a castle. If you want to park yourself in one spot for a week or more in one spot, renting a house is no more expensive than hotels and much bigger for the money, so the competition for renters must be a renter market

Heck in Hawaii they list 1000's of places for rent. That is what we will do this winter, if we ever get done with harvest

Just a lot of things and more like the above that make me think the bubble will burst, but like I said I been wrong for so long

I suppose I only have to be right once.

By TimNew - Nov. 17, 2019, 12:47 p.m.
Like Reply

You'll be right sooner or later.  Retail #'s remain very strong and the PIE #'s (Personal income/expense) show pretty consistent increases monthly.  Also, consumer revolving credit was down by billions last month...