El Paso shooting
14 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Aug. 4, 2019, 12:48 a.m.

Deadly shooting in El Paso, Texas

https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/el-paso-tx-shooting-live-updates/index.html

• The victims: Twenty people are dead and more than two dozen are injured following a shooting at a shopping complex in El Paso, Texas, Gov. Greg Abbott said.
  • The suspect: The alleged shooter is 21-year-old Patrick Crusius, three sources tell CNN.
  • The investigation: El Paso police are working with the FBI, DEA, Sheriff's Department, federal agencies and state agencies.

O'Rourke calls President Trump a racist, blames shootings on his rhetoric and tweets

"We've had a rise in hate crimes every single one of the last three years, during an administration where you have a president who's called Mexicans rapists and criminals. Though Mexican immigrants commit crimes at a far lower rate than those born here in the country, he has tried to make us afraid of them, to some real effect and consequence, attempting to ban all Muslims from this country. The day he signed that executive order the mosque in Victoria, Texas, was burned to the ground. Those chants that we heard in Greenville, North Carolina, 'send her back,' talking about our fellow American citizens, duly elected to represent their constituents in the congress who happen to be women of color. He is a racist and he stokes racism in this country, and it does not just offend our sensibilities. It fundamentally changes the character of this country and it leads to violence."

Comments
By metmike - Aug. 4, 2019, 12:50 a.m.
Like Reply

Trump condemns 'hateful act' in El Paso

President Donald Trump called the mass shooting Saturday an "act of cowardice," and said there "are no reasons or excuses that will ever justify killing people."

He ended his two-tweet message by saying both he and first lady Melania Trump sent "heartfelt thoughts and prayers to the great people of Texas."

Today’s shooting in El Paso, Texas was not only tragic, it was an act of cowardice. I know that I stand with everyone in this Country to condemn today’s hateful act. There are no reasons or excuses that will ever justify killing innocent people....

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 4, 2019
By cliff-e - Aug. 4, 2019, 6:18 p.m.
Like Reply
By TimNew - Aug. 4, 2019, 7:30 p.m.
Like Reply

Yes Cliff.  Lots of hate out there.  I'm certain the irony escapes you.

By metmike - Aug. 4, 2019, 7:51 p.m.
Like Reply

You guys are delusional.

Trump didn't say to shoot them. He said the complete opposite and its being twisted for brainwashed coolaid drinkers/Trump haters. 

Here is what Trump said, let me help clarify the meaning of the English language for you cliff:

“When you have 15,000 people marching up, and you have hundreds and hundreds of [immigrants], and you have two or three border security people that are brave and great – and don’t forget we don’t let them and we can’t let them use weapons,” Mr Trump said, to an audience of thousands in Florida.

“We can’t. Other countries do, we can’t. I would never do that. But how do you stop these people?”

In response someone from the audience shouted: “Shoot them!”

Mr Trump then appeared to laugh before shaking his head and saying: “That’s only in the Panhandle you can get away with that statement.”

Trump was laughing and made fun of the person for making a red neck type statement in the red neck part of the state which contradicted what he had just stated as his policy. Read his statements above, underlined that define it. 

Where in there, did he agree or condone it? He made it clear that he would never let his border security people even have weapons. 

I'll bet the shooter in El Paso was watching that rally and it gave him the idea to do this.......NOT! 

Nothing like twisting realities to turn them into FAKE NEWS which is the opposite of the real news, then spreading it across the internet to poison the minds of gullible people that will believe anything if it confirms their alternate reality believe system.             

Real people died in this tragedy because of a couple of lunatics. My thoughts are with their families. I feel sorry for those trying to cash in on it/take advantage of it to use against President Trump.                     

By metmike - Aug. 4, 2019, 8:31 p.m.
Like Reply

You're exactly right Tim.

We have 2 tragedies and the hate is gushing out from one side not the other.

Only one side made a hateful post here after the tragedies.

By metmike - Aug. 4, 2019, 9:42 p.m.
Like Reply

Mexico vows to take legal action against U.S. after deadly El Paso shooting

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mexico-vows-take-legal-action-against-u-s-wake-deadly-n1039096

"Mexico on Sunday threatened to take legal action against the United States for failing to protect its citizens after this weekend's mass shooting in the border city of El Paso.

Of the 20 people gunned down at a Walmart at the Cielo Vista Mall, at least six were Mexican citizens, and Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard promised Mexico City will act."

"Of the 26 injured in the attack, at least nine were Mexican nationals, according to the government.

El Paso, America's 22nd-largest city with an estimated population of 682,669, is more than 80 percent Hispanic or Latino, according to U.S. census data. El Paso sits just across the Rio Grande from Ciudad Juárez, which has a population of 1.3 million.

The shooter appears to have been targeting Hispanics and authorities are investigating it as a hate crime. "

By metmike - Aug. 4, 2019, 9:53 p.m.
Like Reply

cliff,

This thread is about news related to the tragedy in El Paso.

Please, stop trying to turn it into a Trump bashing and Trump supporter bashing bonanza.

Save it for when there is bad news about the economy or when there is bad news about the tariff war or other favorite times for you to post.

By metmike - Aug. 5, 2019, 2:03 a.m.
Like Reply

cliff,

I moved your Trump and Trump supporter bashing posts that had no relevance to the El Paso shooting here:

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/36092/

Please use this new thread that I created for you(and others) for posts unrelated to the El Paso shooting.

Since you are having a very hard time telling the difference......between what is related and what is not.

You first post WAS related and that's why it's still here.

Your 2nd post about what Trump said at an IA rally 3 years ago about his supporters has zero to do with the shooting.

Your  3rd post from Raw Story claiming  that, ironically  Trump supporters are ignorant  and apathetic and got that way from 40 years of brainwashing by right wing radio hate mongering........is ok to make and you probably believe that but not in this threat please and know that mojo, starting threads that were exclusively and obsessively from that source for many months is not here anymore because of it.

You actually contribute some trading/farming posts with great value so I appreciate that and encourage you to continue active in that realm, mixed in with your trolling. 

By joj - Aug. 5, 2019, 8:26 a.m.
Like Reply

How come when a Muslim goes off and shoots a bunch of innocent people he's a Muslim terrorist?  Why does NO ONE call him simply a mentally ill person?  There are more than a billion Muslims on the planet.

But when a White Nationalist trying to stop "the invasion", oh he's just mentally ill.

MAGA!!

By metmike - Aug. 5, 2019, 11:26 a.m.
Like Reply

joj,

There's no problem with calling the shooter in El Paso a racist, white nationalist, xenophobic or whatever extreme, intolerant, hateful views were present that drove him(along with being mentally ill if that's the case).

The problem is in stating that Trump is responsible for this behavior. 

Was Obama responsible for the extreme radical Muslim attacks because he would not use that term in condemning them?

Muslims that misinterpret their faith and become extreme radicals become the terrorists..

So is it the fault of the Muslim leaders the teach the authentic, peaceful form of Islam to peaceful Muslims that we have radicals who kill people?

So Trump is teaching a peaceful form of US nationalism with MAGA. When and where did he ever promote killing people. He has policies for legal immigration and keeping out illegals and MAGA is all about the best interest of legal US citizens(that, as president he represents). 

So because white people comprise the majority of people in the US, and the ones that want to get in illegally are brown, this is twisted into him being a racist and xenophone.

The color of their skin has nothing to do with it. The status of their position............legal American citizen vs illegal or trying to get in illegally is the driving force in his decisions.

If all these people from Central America were white, do you think that his position would be completely different?

So happens that the vast majority of people not living in the US are non whites. 

By metmike - Aug. 5, 2019, 12:01 p.m.
Like Reply

Please see additional discussion here:

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/36092/

By metmike - Aug. 6, 2019, 7:06 p.m.
Like Reply

A Walmart employee and a customer helped 140 people escape from the El Paso shooting

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/05/us/el-paso-shooting-heroes/index.html

El Paso, Texas (CNN)When gunshots rang out at an El Paso Walmart, Gilbert Serna yelled for everyone to follow him. 

He said he led nearly 100 people out the back of the store to safety before returning to the parking lot to help others.

"I was scared, I'm not going to lie, but I wasn't thinking about my own safety. I was thinking about everybody else's safety," Serna told CNN on Monday.

The father of two has worked at this Walmart store for almost 19 years. He was standing near the back of the store on Saturday when he heard a "code brown" announced over the two-way radio. It took him a moment to register what that meant — active shooter.

Seconds later, he heard gunshots. 

Walmart employee Gilbert Serna helped dozens to safety.

Walmart employee Gilbert Serna helped dozens to safety.

The 36-year-old immediately signaled for customers and co-workers to follow him to the back room of the store. Through that room, Serna located the fire exit and led the large group out of the building.

"We were out in the open." Serna said. "I opened the shipping containers and told everyone to get in."

Instead of joining them safely inside the containers, Serna closed the door and went to check on more people who needed to escape.

That is when it hit Serna — this is not a not a domestic dispute, it was a mass shooting.

He walked along the side of the building and immediately noticed others standing out in the parking lot, including 6 or so members of a girls' soccer team who were fundraising in front of the Walmart.

Serna led them into Sam's Club next door and told them to wait for police.

While Serna was leading people to safety at the back of the store, another person stepped in to help others. Serna didn't know it at the time, but a regular customer he recognizes was helping people elsewhere in the store.

By metmike - Aug. 6, 2019, 7:07 p.m.
Like Reply

Adria Gonzalez, of El Paso, grips a rosary as she poses for a portrait inside her brother's home.

Adria Gonzalez, of El Paso, grips a rosary as she poses for a portrait inside her brother's home.

After hearing three gunshots and seeing at least five people bleeding on the floor, Adria Gonzalez pulled her mother by her blouse and made it to a storage area at the Walmart.

Gonzalez and her mother were shopping for their groceries and for a few school supplies they were planning to donate this week. They were walking by the meat counter when the shooting began, she said.

The assistant teacher took off her pink hat and started waving it at people nearby, signaling a way out for those in the store, Gonzalez told CNN on Saturday. 

"Let's go, let's go. Vamos, vamos," the 37-year-old said. "Let's go."

About 40 people followed her to the storage area near the meat counter, where they waited in silence. They waited until they could no longer hear any gunshots. 

Minutes later, the gunshots stopped. The group ran as they exited the building.

Walmart employees were there trying to help people escape and picking people up in their cars, Gonzalez said.

"You see this happening in the movies, but when you live it yourself, when you see a person killing, the blood everywhere," Gonzalez said. "You are in shock."

By metmike - Aug. 6, 2019, 7:15 p.m.
Like Reply

When chaos erupted in El Paso, this Army soldier's first response was to save the lives of children

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/04/us/el-paso-shooting-glendon-oakley/index.html

(CNN)Army Pfc. Glendon Oakley was shopping for a jersey Saturday when a child came into the El Paso, Texas, store and said there was a shooter at the nearby Walmart. 

Oakley told CNN no one in the store, including him, paid attention because they didn't understand what the child was talking about. Oakley said he then walked to another store. 

That's when things went wrong.

"I just heard two gunshots and a whole bunch of people started running around and screaming," Oakley said. 

As mayhem erupted over the next five to seven minutes, the armed Oakley planned to go with others who ran out of the store toward the gunshots. 

Pfc. Glendon Oakley

Pfc. Glendon Oakley

"But I see a whole bunch of kids running around without their parents. Only thing I think of is pick up as many kids I can as possible," Oakley said. 

He and another man began corralling children. There were about 13, Oakley said, but he could only carry three. 

"I was just focused on the kids, I wasn't really worried about myself. So just put my head down and just ran as fast as I could," he said. "

Once he saw police, he said he let the kids go and pulled out his phone "in case they were going to shoot me and started recording while I was running."

Oakley said he wasn't concerned with his safety, rather getting the children out of harm's way.

"I was just thinking about if I had a child and I wasn't around, how I would want another man to react if they saw my child running around," Oakley said. 

Oakley said the media's focus should be on the world and the shooting in Ohio.