This day in history July 22, 2019-remembering 1942
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - July 22, 2019, 9:29 p.m.

Read and learn about history and share your favorite one with us!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_22

1942 – The United States government begins compulsory civilian gasoline rationing due to the wartime demands.

The price of gasoline in 1942?  20c. Carl still wasn't old enough to drive back then.......at least not legally.

Comments
By metmike - July 22, 2019, 9:31 p.m.
Like Reply

Remembering 1942

https://blogs.voanews.com/tedlandphairsamerica/2011/10/19/remembering-1942-sort-of/

Nostalgic journeys  are sure to highlight the ridiculously low cost of living “back when.”  Indeed, the typical American house in 1942 cost $3,775, a new car $920, and a movie ticket 30 cents.

My parents licked a lot of these in their day.  (U.S. Postal Service)

My parents licked a lot of these in their day.  (U.S. Postal Service)

A postage stamp set you back 3 cents, your loaf of bread ran you 9 cents, and — if your kid was smart enough — you could get him into Harvard University for $420 in tuition per year.  (I say “him,” because the school wouldn’t admit girls as undergraduates until 1973.)

Of course, the average American’s yearly income in 1942 was $1,885, so $420 was a big chunk of change in those days.

By carlberky - July 23, 2019, 9:30 a.m.
Like Reply

20112011 Norway attacks: first a bomb blast which targeted government buildings in central Oslo, followed by a massacre at a youth camp on the island of Utøya.

On July 22, 2011, Anders Breivik set off a bomb in the center of the Norwegian capital, Oslo, killing eight people, then traveled to a nearby island where the then-ruling Labour Party was holding a summer camp and shot dead 69 people. Breivik is serving a 21-year prison term for his actions

There is a superb movie, "22 July", depicting the massacre and the terror of the victims and survivors. Done without blood and gore, but not for the squeamish.  

By carlberky - July 23, 2019, 11:25 a.m.
Like Reply

The price of gasoline in 1942?  20c. Carl still wasn't old enough to drive back then.......at least not legally.

Mike, I think I was eleven when my father "severally reprimanded" me for  wearing down the battery while using the floor starter to move  the Kaiser a few feet.