THE wackiest, wildest game in the history of baseball: July 4-5, 1985 Mets at Braves
4 responses | 0 likes
Started by WxFollower - July 5, 2019, 12:48 a.m.

I’ll never forget what still is my favorite regular season baseball game ever, the July 4th-5th Braves vs Mets game in ATL in 1985. I wonder if Tim saw this. If a 90 minute rain delayed start, several more rain delays, Manager Davey Johnson and Darryl Strawberry being tossed out of the game, Keith Hernandez hitting for the cycle, the Braves being down 7-4 going to the bottom of the 8th and scoring 4 to go ahead, Bruce Sutter allowing the Mets to tie it at 8 in the top of the 9th to send it to extra innings, and the Braves scoring 2 in the bottom of the 13th on a homerun that hit the foul pole to tie it at 10 weren’t enough:

With the Mets having taken an 11-10 lead in the top of the 18th, with 2 outs .060 hitting Rick Camp is up for the Braves because they have no non-pitcher pinch hitters left. The Mets waived their outfielders in and John Sterling literally says with the count 0-1 “Ernie, if he hits a home run to tie this game, this game will be certified as absolutely the nuttiest in the history of baseball.” After the count went to 0-2, Camp takes a big swing and amazingly hits his first and only home run of his career to tie it at 11!!!! And if that’s still not enough, the Mets scored 5 in the top of the 19th. The Braves then scored 2 and then had 2 on base meaning the tieing run was again at the plate in the form of, yep, Rick Camp. But this time he got an out and it was finally over at 3:55 AM, which was followed by the annual big July 4th fireworks display that scared a bunch of already sleeping folks in nearby areas to death. I saw this game on TV and luckily stayed up for it. Here’s the 5 minutes of the bottom of the 18th:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RcZIs1tIGlg

Comments
By metmike - July 5, 2019, 1:57 a.m.
Like Reply

Larry,

I never heard of such a crazy game. Thanks for sharing that one! That had to be closed to the longest and latest game ever. 

Looks like it didn't make the top 10 for length of time. Must have been very close to #10  on this list, which was 6 hours and 38 minutes. They must not have included the rain delay from your game.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2015/04/14/the-10-longest-games-in-major-league-baseball-history/#76a2f362235f

By carlberky - July 5, 2019, 9:12 a.m.
Like Reply

Rick Camp, a right-handed pitcher,  won 56 games while losing 49, with an ERA of 3.37.

By WxFollower - July 7, 2019, 4:06 p.m.
Like Reply

Mike said: "Looks like it didn't make the top 10 for length of time. Must have been very close to #10  on this list, which was 6 hours and 38 minutes. They must not have included the rain delay from your game."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If all rain delays had been included, the duration would have gone from 7:30 PM til 3:55 AM or 8:25 duration. Without the 90 minute delay of the start, it went 9PM-3:55 AM or 6:55, which was still enough to make the top 10 of your list. But there were more rain delays after play started. Did your list not count even delays after play started?

By metmike - July 7, 2019, 4:25 p.m.
Like Reply

I thought your game should have been on their list Larry.

Fake News!

Just kidding. They don't tell us how they did the calculations from what I can tell, so I guess they just missed this one.