Rain
15 responses | 0 likes
Started by mikempt - May 5, 2019, 8:13 p.m.

It never stops raining here in Valley Forge. Its rained almost every weekend since last summer. Its rained buckets all day here. Please stop the rain,I need sunshine!

Comments
Re: Rain
0 likes
By metmike - May 5, 2019, 11:45 p.m.
Like Reply

Yeah, it's been pretty wet there too:

Penn river flow. Those dark blues in the southeast represent 90%+.

https://waterwatch.usgs.gov/index.php?r=pa&m=flood&w=map

pa

But not as wet as areas of the country to your west!

Daily Anomaly Soil Moisture (mm)

Re: Re: Rain
1 like
By mcfarmer - May 6, 2019, 7:52 a.m.
Like Reply

It’s been wet here in NW Iowa.

We got to go Saturday and Sunday, worked nearly straight through. Sitting at about 1/3 planted now.

By mikempt - May 6, 2019, 9:24 a.m.
Like Reply

The Amish in Lancaster have the corn planted

By metmike - May 6, 2019, 11:45 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks  mike/mcfarm, IA, as noted yesterday is only too wet to plant along the west and east borders.

It's IL/IN/OH that are completely water logged and a looooooooong way from planting. MN is not quite as bad as the ECB but chilly temps are an additional issue there.  

0 likes
By wglassfo - May 6, 2019, 1:51 p.m.
Like Reply

Some people have all the luck

We will attempt to plant 20 acres today of sweet corn out of a total of 700 acres

Big wopeee doo

We plant 200 under plastic with a 4 row, so planting is slow, with 500 using the big conventional planter

On top of that we have to find a hill top to plant 20 acres Soon we will run out of hill tops

We can't even think of getting our big conventional planter going and 90 % chance of rain tonight

Just to give you an idea

I got stuck cutting grass yesterday

That is wet as most people build their house on a dry spot, us included

If not for MFD  we would not even plant sweet corn on a hill top

0 likes
By 7475 - May 6, 2019, 5:33 p.m.
Like Reply

Trade currencies

By mcfarmer - May 6, 2019, 8:55 p.m.
Like Reply

“Trade currencies”

Trade them for what ? Hookers ?

By metmike - May 6, 2019, 11:25 p.m.
Like Reply

Good one mcfarmer. 

You mean they have those in Iowa?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_the_United_States

0 likes
By wglassfo - May 7, 2019, 2:37 p.m.
Like Reply

Planted some more sweet corn yesterday until after dark. We have a camera rigged up at the back of the planter, to watch the plastic. That is the most sensitive operation on this  planter, and the planter cost a fortune direct from Ireland where they are built.. Problem is the camera does not work after dark nor does the entire planter work in a stale seed bed. So we had to loosen up some soil that was ready to go a week ago and then got rained on. So we run over it again adding to the cost factor.

Needless to say, this yr planting is a night mare. My grandson worked until he got rained out, well past dark time last night. How he managed that I do not know

We are way past our best planting window and not one kernel of conventional in the ground. Last night rain put new water on top of old water

Just a little update on what some farmers will do, and our soil conditions "here"

0 likes
By metmike - May 7, 2019, 4:22 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Wayne!

This is what you do below right?

Planting Sweet Corn Under Plastic at Ingersoll Farms            

Started by metmike - May 6, 2019, 2:01 p.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/29528/

By mcfarmer - May 7, 2019, 10:27 p.m.
Like Reply

If I could get one full day in I’d be done with corn.

Never get more than a morning or afternoon fit to go.

By metmike - May 7, 2019, 11:43 p.m.
Like Reply

Wonderful!

Where exactly do you farm in Iowa mcfarmer?

By mcfarmer - May 8, 2019, 9:07 a.m.
Like Reply

“Where exactly do you farm in Iowa mcfarmer?”

NW Iowa

0 likes
By cliff-e - May 8, 2019, 5:49 p.m.
Like Reply

We've had about 1" rain so far today at my locale W-Mn. with 1.5" total predicted. But I bet we blow thru that prediction easily by Thurs. night.

And whilst driving around this afternoon in windy hard rain w/36F temps....I saw a few ice pellets hit he windshield. It wouldn't surprise me at all if, by morning, the ground is white in places if we get the predicted snow flurries.

No fieldwork done on our farm but some have scratched and mudded in some corn and a few beans. There's never enough time do it right but there's always time to do it over as they say.

0 likes
By metmike - May 8, 2019, 7:22 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks cliff,

It's got to be especially frustrating that southwest MN is way to wet for ideal planting in early May for the 2nd year in a row. 

There are signs that the very waterlogged Eastern Cornbelt is going to continue the dry pattern that starts soon...............for longer than a week(if this weekend system doesn't sneak too far north)......although the last 18z run of the GFS ensembles turns it wet again late 2, so theres much uncertainty.

The rains are falling apart as they head into the ECB now too which is expected.

You should have mostly dry weather too the next week......after this system exits. Maybe things will be dried out enough by late next week or shortly after that to do some work.