"For truth, for justice, for Nicholas!"
18 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Feb. 21, 2019, 1:37 a.m.

Hemmer DeFrank Wessels, PLLC    http://www.hemmerlaw.com/blog/for-truth-for-justice-for-nicholas/

"Today, Lin Wood and Todd McMurtry filed their first lawsuit on behalf of Nicholas Sandmann against The Washington Post. The lawsuit filed is included below. The suit seeks $250 million in both compensatory and punitive damages. Lin and Todd will continue to bring wrongdoers before the court to seek damages in compensation for the harm so many have done to the Sandmann family. This is only the beginning."

Comments
By carlberky - Feb. 21, 2019, 9:09 a.m.
Like Reply

Don't be surprised by a counter-suite.

By TimNew - Feb. 21, 2019, 9:17 a.m.
Like Reply

Would not surprise me, but based on available data, their position appears indefensible.  

By mcfarm - Feb. 21, 2019, 11:02 a.m.
Like Reply

what are you talking about Tim. If the media has taught us one thing its that poor white kids wearing hats from Kentucky are guilty as hell....no way around it, guilty,until proven innocent.

By metmike - Feb. 22, 2019, 12:52 a.m.
Like Reply

"Don't be surprised by a counter-suite."

Care to guess at what the counter-suite might be for?

Maybe he triggered hatred by wearing a MAGA hat(to support the pro life  president, since he was there for "The March for Life")

Or, maybe the 16 year olds smile was evil as numerous celebrities and media outlets, in the first 24 hours after the video went viral, told us exactly what that smirk represented.

By JP - Feb. 23, 2019, 10:46 a.m.
Like Reply

From the link in the original post of this thread: "We condemn the actions of the Covington Catholic high school students towards Nathan Phillips specifically, and Native Americans in general,’ a statement by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Covington and Covington Catholic High School read. ‘We extend our deepest apologies to Mr. Phillips. This behavior is opposed to the Church’s teachings on the dignity and respect of the human person. The matter is being investigated and we will take appropriate action, up to and including expulsion.'"

Gee, I wonder if the Roman Catholic Diocese and Catholic High School of Covington will issue a huge apology to Nicholas Sandmann as an "appropriate action" to this statement subsequent to their investigation?  While "Innocent until proven guilty" has become "Guilty until proven innocent" in the court of public opinion on matters like this, you would think the Diocese and High School might have at least considered the possibility of Nicholas Sandmann's innocence in their statement -- but no, they bowed their heads in prayer to the god of political correctness and expediency. What a bunch of pussies.   

By mcfarm - Feb. 23, 2019, 10:54 a.m.
Like Reply

don't ya think the catholic church has a bucket full of apologies to be making? even heard they may come with a new handbook for priests on how not to abuse young kids

By JP - Feb. 23, 2019, 11:20 a.m.
Like Reply

"don't ya think the catholic church has a bucket full of apologies to be making? even heard they may come with a new handbook for priests on how not to abuse young kids"

This has been a huge, largely unaddressed problem in the Roman Catholic Church for far too long.    

By carlberky - Feb. 23, 2019, 11:39 a.m.
Like Reply

"Care to guess at what the counter-suite might be for?"

Mike, actually it would be a suite by Nathan Phillips, who has been villified more by the media than Sandmann. 

So, here we go … religion and politics in one thread. 

By JP - Feb. 23, 2019, 4:46 p.m.
Like Reply

I thought justice delayed was justice denied. I hope somebody got his ass chewed for the initial statement I quoted above in this thread (Feb. 23, 2019, 10:46 a.m.).

Letter from Bishop Foys to the Coventon High School Parents: 

https://www.covcath.org/uploaded/01_About_Us/MFL_2019/Letter_from_Bishop_Foys.pdf

The "inquiry" alluded to in the Bishop's letter:

https://www.covcath.org/uploaded/01_About_Us/MFL_2019/Final_Report.pdf

By metmike - Feb. 23, 2019, 9:05 p.m.
Like Reply

"Mike, actually it would be a suite by Nathan Phillips, who has been villified more by the media than Sandmann."

I thought countersuites are those filed against somebody that filed a suite against you as in the media filing against Sandmann or even possibly Phillips against Sandmann, which would seem pretty absurd.

I could see Phillips against particular sources just because that seems like who he is(the sources reporting negative stuff on him seem fact based, if you go to the link below).

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/22469/

The MSM made him a martyr and hero in many of their narratives. CNN had him on a couple of times and took his side for instance.

This interview on CNN came out AFTER the video showed what really happened:

Native American man confronted by teens speaks out

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2019/01/20/native-american-nathan-phillips-maga-teens-video-sot-nr-vpx.cnn

The way its described here by him and CNN is laughable, painting a picture of the 16 year old "getting right in his face" and him and the kids being the perpetrators. 

That interview above, is like the quintessential example of CNN completely twisting the facts (Fake News) intentionally to make us think that the complete opposite of what happened......happened. 

Wonderful example of credible journalism being replaced by political activism using fake news to mislead people for their agenda. 

By metmike - Feb. 23, 2019, 9:21 p.m.
Like Reply

"Gee, I wonder if the Roman Catholic Diocese and Catholic High School of Covington will issue a huge apology to Nicholas Sandmann as an "appropriate action" to this statement subsequent to their investigation?"

JP,

There have been several apologies from those sources:

Covington bishop apologizes to Covington Catholic students

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/covington-bishop-apologizes-to-covington-catholic-students-95095

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/jan/23/archdiocese-baltimore-apologizes-covington-teens/

By carlberky - Feb. 23, 2019, 9:48 p.m.
Like Reply

"I thought countersuites are those filed against somebody that filed a suite against you."

Of course they are. That's why my answer was, "Mike, actually it would be a suite by Nathan Phillips". 

By metmike - Feb. 23, 2019, 9:54 p.m.
Like Reply

mcfarm,

Yeah, the many years of sexual abuse of vulnerable young people by priests is a travesty and was completely mishandled and covered up by the Catholic Church. 

I would never defend this abhorrent behavior. This article, uses facts to put it into perspective:

How the crisis of Catholic priests sexually abusing minors mirrors society at large

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/2019/02/22/catholic-priest-sexual-abuse-minors-crisis-mirrors-society/2875238002/

"The American Psychiatric Association has found that about 3 to 5 percent of the general male population in the U.S. are pedophiles. And in 2004, a U.S. Department of Education study of educators committing sexual misconduct found that about 5 percent of school staff sexually violated children.

From 1950 to 2002, of the 109,694 priests in active ministry, 4,392 – or 4 percent – were accused of sexual abuse, according to a 2004 John Jay report on the nature and scope of the crisis.

New Jersey has 16,000 people on its sex offender registry, which is far less than 5 percent of its male population. But it's crucial to note only 30 percent of sexual abuse cases get reported to authorities, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. 

Some experts say the reason priest sex abuse has become so prominent an issue is not because there are more sex abusers among priests than in the general population, but because victims have become more empowered to speak out."

metmike: 5% of the population being pedophiles seems pretty high to me. I looked up some stuff and this field has so many uncertainties that it would be impossible to get an accurate account.

I think that one element in this is the trust and status that a priest has, so we hold them to a much higher standard and this behavior compared to whats expected has a much greater disparity from expectations to reality.

Also, they often have access to many children vs the average perp. 

Not to be overlooked is the fact that people have high expectations of priests because 95% of non pedophile priests have devoted their lives to chastity, obedience and poverty................and most live by those standards. 5% of them did alot more damage then 5% of typical pedophiles but the positive work of the other 95% should not be over looked

Put another way, if you found out that 5% of any group of people.........teachers for instance which fall into the most similar category, sexually abused kids, you would not condemn all teachers.

You should condemn the institution that protected them all these years and the gate keepers, who represented a tiny % of people but made some immoral/bad decisions for that institution but the 95% of great priests, devoting their lives to making the world a better place should still be respected/appreciated. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedophilia

By metmike - Feb. 23, 2019, 10:07 p.m.
Like Reply

OK, I guess that I overlooked that they are filing a suit against the American Indian.

So I'm puzzled on what his damages could possibly be against the 16 year old. Not based of his description of what happened, which we know to be distorted  from the facts, but based on all the video evidence and interviews of credible witnesses.

He seems to have completely vanished for over a month now but in today's world, he can probably re appear at some point down the world and be re invented as somebody that represents an oppressed/descriminated minority, which means we should forgive his previous faults or we are racists. 

By JP - Feb. 23, 2019, 10:25 p.m.
Like Reply

JP, There have been several apologies:

“We apologize to anyone who has been offended in any way by either of our statements which were made with good will based on the information we had,” said Bishop Foys in the letter, which was addressed to the parents of Covington Catholic students.

“We should not have allowed ourselves to be bullied and pressured into making a statement prematurely, and we take full responsibility for it.”

What parseltongue evasiveness!  Instead of:  “We apologize to anyone who has been offended in any way by either of our statements which were made with good will based on the information we had,” why not: "We apologize for not bothering to determine what actually happened before opening our ignorant yaps and impugning our students and their parents while making fools of ourselves."

And instead of pretending to be victims: “We should not have allowed ourselves to be bullied and pressured into making a statement prematurely, and we take full responsibility for it,” why not just be honest about it? "Without knowing all the facts, we cravenly spoke prematurely to cover our own asses, and we ask forgiveness from our students and their parents for this moral failure on our part.

Yeah, I know. When pigs fly. 

By JP - Feb. 23, 2019, 11:01 p.m.
Like Reply

But really -- this statement is simply insidious:

“We should not have allowed ourselves to be bullied and pressured into making a statement prematurely, and we take full responsibility for it."

See -- they allowed themselves to be bullied and pressured -- but by golly, if they hadn't 'a' been bullied and pressured, they wouldn't have made that statement prematurely, no siree Bob. So on the one hand they take full responsibility for allowing themselves to be bullied and pressured into making a statement prematurely, while on the other they tacitly evade responsibility for the damaging and incorrect content of the statement, which they now have to walk back. Get it?

And people wonder why church attendance is dropping. 

By metmike - Feb. 23, 2019, 11:52 p.m.
Like Reply

JP,

I really agree with  you on them copping out of the full accountability/owning the blunder by claiming they were bullied. 

However, I see their jumping to the wrong conclusion prematurely and condemning these acts immediately, before getting all the evidence as potentially   an indication of the opposite.......if viewed from another perspective.

Rather than circling the wagons or downplaying them,  like many entities have the instinctive tendency to do to protect itself, they (too) quickly condemned them.

One can speculate on why they responded this way but its possible that they really were stunned that these Catholic boys acted in this manner, which was completely against what they represent and waiting for a couple of days to review everything to see if there was more evidence would have been perceived by many as a lack of embracing the seriousness of the infraction.

Let's put it this way. If the additional video came out and showed these boys taunted the Indian and made racial slurs...........confirming the fake news interpretations initially and they had not come out with a public statement in the midst of the entire country condemning these boys for X amount of days,.........it  would have looked like they were not only taking a weak position on their own, but then, when their delayed response condemning the actions came out, they would have been accused of only doing it because of 2 days worth of pressure vs them doing it for the right reasons, immediately following the incident.

Luckily, there were tons of others there and lots of evidence to vindicate the boys. So what if there had not been additional video to watch and all we saw was the initial video? That happens all the time. TV stations go out to cover stories and only their camera and their reporter have the video...........often lengthy video, maybe an hours worth in some cases.

What prevents them from taking snippets like this one and using them to go with a story that tells it the way they want people to view/hear it.

Answer. Nothing prevents that from happening. No doubt that the vast majority of reporting is excellent and accurate but one can see from this,  how really easy it is to use well chosen video and words to paint the picture they want to paint for their viewers and that happens all the time and it can be very powerful.

Reporters and tv anchors lean strongly to the left. They are not all plotting to twist most of their stories to present liberal views. I am not saying that. However, for 11 years, I watched reporters/news anchors, take 30 minutes of video into an editing booth to get 30 seconds worth of video for a story. Who decides what 30 seconds of video makes it and why?

There is no entity that scrutunizes the process or watches the tape to provide another opinion.. Only the reporter gets to pick the video and the verbiage that goes along with it to tell the story that they want to be told.

Even  those trying hard to be objective but have a political bias will have that bias show up in their work from time to time without them realizing it...............human nature. Again, they have complete freedom and are constantly reminded about ratings by management. It's well known that sensationalizing sells. 

People watching cannot tell the difference because they can only see and hear what the station/reporter story broadcasts. They don't watch the other 29 minutes and 30 seconds of footage that was the entire story. 

By JP - Feb. 24, 2019, 12:47 a.m.
Like Reply

If you let the opposition determine the rules of the game, you've already lost it. In my opinion, the Bishop over the Covington School should have made a five part announcement that: 1) acknowledged the seriousness of the accusations, 2) stated that a thorough internal investigation would be made, 3) stated that once the investigation was complete punitive measures (if warranted) would be applied, 4) stated that once item 3 was complete, a final public statement would be issued by the Bishop's office that revealed all the findings of the investigation and specifics of any punitive measures taken, and 5) stated that until that time, neither any Covington School employee nor the Bishop nor anyone in his his office would discuss anything further about the matter. 

The idea that the enemy media gets to determine the rules of engagement is specious (and if you are operating a private Christian School, there is no question that the MSM is your enemy).  I'm quite certain that parents, students, and employees associated with Covington School would be fine with the process outlined, and really, why should any of them care whether the media likes it or not?  Who are the customers here? They are the parents, students, and (by extension) employees associated with Covington School. A note to the Bishop: Don't try to cover your ass -- protect your customers!