Campaign rallies... just thinking...
4 responses | 0 likes
Started by GunterK - Feb. 14, 2019, 12:12 p.m.

A few days ago, Pres Trump held a rally in El Paso, TX. Not far from his venue, Democratic candidate Beto O’Rourke held a counter-rally.

I didn’t bother to listen to their speeches, or read the transcripts…. I can imagine what was said.

However, looking at the pictures of these events, I noticed something….

Not surprisingly, at Trump’s rally, I saw countless red MAGA caps, and a gazillion of little US flags being waved.

On the other side, a saw only a sprinkling of US flags, and also a few Mexican and Central American flags.

Being an immigrant to the US myself, I know that no matter how long an immigrant lives in the US, and no matter how much he has become an “American”, he still has emotional ties to the country he grew up in.

For example, when Brazil won the World Cup of Soccer against Germany, many Brazilian Americans, here in the US, cruised the streets, waving the Brazilian flag. That’s OK, in my opinion.

But, when you go to a political event, an event where the future of the USA is discussed, you don’t bring a flag of your home country…. that flag is out of place, it has no business being there…that’s like “giving the finger” to the USA and the American people.

It made me angry.

No wonder, Trump supporters call themselves “patriots”… these foreign-flag waving people certainly don’t care about the USA.

Comments
By TimNew - Feb. 14, 2019, 12:40 p.m.
Like Reply

I don't think it's that they don't care about America.  They just don't care for it the way it is, so they are working on transforming it.

Your complaining about foreign flags at a political rally is now considered racist.  Conversely, displaying and showing pride in the US flag is also racist. You may as well be wearing a MAGA cap, which is also racist.

The new rules are pretty confusing,

By GunterK - Feb. 14, 2019, 1:04 p.m.
Like Reply

you wrote "...I don't think it's that they don't care about America.  They just don't care for it the way it is, so they are working on transforming it....."

OK, then wave the flag of the USA and wear a hat that says "I want America to be great, but not the way Trump wants it"

Don't wave the flag of another country

By GunterK - Feb. 14, 2019, 1:07 p.m.
Like Reply

you wrote "...I don't think it's that they don't care about America.  They just don't care for it the way it is, so they are working on transforming it....."

OK, then wave the flag of the USA and wear a hat that says "I want America to be great, but not the way Trump wants it"

Don't wave the flag of another country

By carlberky - Feb. 14, 2019, 2:24 p.m.
Like Reply

Some years back they indemnified some Japanese who were interned during  WWII. Among them there was an old woman who had been in this country since at least the early 1940's. 

Since she only spoke Japanese, she needed an interpreter. That made me mad.