Unemployed/under employed college graduates
4 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Jan. 31, 2019, 4:51 p.m.

This subject may have been touched on before but lets take a solid look at college employment, unemployment or under employment

With unemployment numbers at record lows?? I don't understand. Obviously I am not in that age group but I have family in that age group.

SO: This how is how it is in our family. Others, obviously, may be different

Most of our younger family members are under employed. All have 4 yr degrees or more, except for one who will have a 2 yr degree this spring. [If he is successful] I think I am the dummy in the family when it comes to book smarts.

So: Why am I reading about so many college students who are unemployed or under employed with record unemployment.

This then leads into free college, jobs for everybody and the whole ball of wax that some candidates are proposing and a lot of young voters will surely think is enough free stuff to support with their votes.. And maybe their parents want their family to have the good life with a well paying job. Who knows how they will vote???

But: I think a lot of dis-satifaction [not all by any means] comes back to young  college graduates employment or, other wise, which is one of many reasons why Sanders strikes a chord with voters. His poll numbers are certainly very high. He touches a lot of the buttons.

Why so many dissatified college graduates?? Heck: One article tried to say many college graduates are homeless. Dunno?? Is living with your parents a type of homeless

Why is college and jobs a problem??? If you listen to the younger folks they say it is a problem

Comments
By TimNew - Feb. 1, 2019, 6:08 a.m.
Like Reply

How many unemployed/underemployed engineers are there?

By wglassfo - Feb. 3, 2019, 11:36 a.m.
Like Reply

We have two engineer graduates in our family, so that may be an example

One worked for a pay check, for ten yrs [or less??] at two different places of employment, and then bought the last Co. he worked for. They were closing down and moving operations else where. The wrecking ball was sitting in the yard and ready when the Co. accepted the final offer, and the wrecking ball went away.. That young man now owns his own business and has all the risk associated with owning a business. He is a mechanical engineer

The other family member is an electrical engineer. He has been under employed since graduation some 18 months ago, and living at home. The excuse is the cost of living etc is more than he can make, living and working where the employment is located.. I dunno how true that may be, for family member number two, but that is the story from our family

How many immigrant doctors, engineers etc drive taxis because we do not recognize their credentials.

By mikempt - Feb. 3, 2019, 11:45 a.m.
Like Reply

I hire illegals because Americans are too lazy to learn a trade like plumbing. I pay them a good wage,they learn and work hard. I'm tired of Mexicans so now I have the Russians from northeast Philly.

By 7475 - Feb. 3, 2019, 12:09 p.m.
Like Reply

I dont know the numbers but perhaps there are too many grads out there.

Different from 40 yrs ago-if your parents didnt have money for college and you couldnt make it happen with modest loans then you just didnt go to college-it was a privilege to attend college.

Now it is possible for many to attend-many who may not be "college material" which could result in many graduating with marginal skills/abilities/potential and employers are simply picking and then choosing the best-as they always did.

Perhaps many of todays grads would have served themselves better had they learned a "skill" of sorts-a;beit it be a high tech skill.

Just saying

I have a degree from Clemson-50 yrs ago and Ive been a carpenter/GC my whole life-I would have been better served had I taken some business courses or apprenticed with a good business mined mentor.

John

Oh Yeah- Go TIGERS !