McConnell blocks Senate Democrats' move to re-open government
20 responses | 0 likes
Started by mojo - Jan. 10, 2019, 1:14 p.m.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell blocked a move by Senate Democrats on Thursday to get the chamber to vote on spending bills to reopen the government on day 20 of the ongoing partial shutdown

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/mcconnell-blocks-senate-democrats-move-to-re-open-government/ar-BBS4h5H?ocid=spartandhp

Comments
By TimNew - Jan. 10, 2019, 2:03 p.m.
Like Reply

A time wasting political stunt that will end with <SURPRISE>, a presidential veto.

But as we know, liberals prefer doing the wrong thing over doing nothing at all.  

Actually,  I take that back.

They prefer doing the wrong thing over everything else.

By carlberky - Jan. 10, 2019, 2:38 p.m.
Like Reply

A brilliant political move that lets the country and the world know positively which party is responsible for the shutdown, and for maintaning it.  

By TimNew - Jan. 10, 2019, 2:41 p.m.
Like Reply

LOL,  Good one Carl  :-)

By mojo - Jan. 10, 2019, 3:10 p.m.
Like Reply

"A brilliant political move that lets the country and the world know positively which party is responsible for the shutdown, and for maintaning it. "

Exactly. You took the words right out of my mouth. 

By TimNew - Jan. 10, 2019, 3:19 p.m.
Like Reply

A typical debate with a lib.

Conservative: Up is up and down is down.

Liberal.  But looking up,  the sun may damage your retina and if you look down too much, you can walk right into traffic.

Con:  But that has nothing to do with the fact that up is up and down is down.

Lib: So!!!,  you absolutely refuse to consider my point of view!!!

By mojo - Jan. 10, 2019, 3:22 p.m.
Like Reply

Uh, what?

By mcfarm - Jan. 10, 2019, 3:28 p.m.
Like Reply

this entire boarder debate reminds me so  much of the Obama years and why history will record them as such a disaster......because now a days we have a president with balls and a first lady with none

By metmike - Jan. 10, 2019, 3:39 p.m.
Like Reply

Let's see now.

The choices are............

Have the Republicans cave and America does not get the wall that it needs for border security as determined by border security representatives and recent border statistics of illegal immigration.

Have the Democrats cave and America gets the wall that it needs based on the above.

Since we know the Democrats will NEVER give in, especially since they have pinned the blame on you know who and are in Trump bashing heaven,  which the mainstream media is shouting from the rooftops, enjoying every moment of another opportunity to bash Trump for doing whats best for America, then Trump might need to declare a state of emergency to get things moving again.

Again, this is about whether having a wall would make America's southern border more secure or not.

All the other political charade taking place to mislead, mischaracterize and twist it into something else is politics. 

Based on the data and experts at the border.............America needs a  wall to help control illegal immigration at the southern border. So why aren't we getting a wall is the question? Who is stopping America's needed wall from being built because of a purely political ploy to get power and trash Trump?

I am for INCREASING immigration.............legal immigration.

I am also for the US  increasing our aid to poor/UNdeveloped countries by a massive amount.

Illegal immigrants mess that up for the right ones, getting in the right way.

By mojo - Jan. 10, 2019, 3:45 p.m.
Like Reply

Border Patrol chief is trying to appease Trump — but rank and file admit wall won’t work.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/01/border-patrol-chief-is-trying-to-appease-the-trump-but-rank-and-file-admit-wall-wont-work-texas-democrat/

By carlberky - Jan. 10, 2019, 3:56 p.m.
Like Reply

"because now a days we have a president with balls and a first lady with none"

Thanks, mc, for the chuckle.

By carlberky - Jan. 10, 2019, 3:56 p.m.
Like Reply

why are we still talking about walls, when Trump will settle for a steel see-thru fence?

By mcfarm - Jan. 10, 2019, 4:03 p.m.
Like Reply

dollars and cents of the boarder fight ....budget 4.4 trillion, weekly interest cost 5.7 billion.....these dems now suddenly worried about spending will make a guy want to puke

By wglassfo - Jan. 10, 2019, 5:25 p.m.
Like Reply

So the 5 billion is too much money No matter if it is a wall or some other equally effective means to stop illegal border crossing

Bottom line: No 5 billion for anything at the southern border. That seems to me what this is all about

So: How many want to bet, once this is resolved one way or another and gov't gets back to work

Dems will introduce bills that cut spending to reduce the deficit

I mean for the Dems it is all about spending too much money. So what will they most likely do

Somebody needs to ask the question now and hold their feet to the fire, in the future

Yes???

By carlberky - Jan. 10, 2019, 6:36 p.m.
Like Reply

No !!! Wayne, you are about to be told by the cons that you have it backward and the Dems are fiscally irresponsible. 

By metmike - Jan. 10, 2019, 6:45 p.m.
Like Reply

"why are we still talking about walls, when Trump will settle for a steel see-thru fence?"

Great point carl!

We should call it a barrier.

By joj - Jan. 10, 2019, 7:12 p.m.
Like Reply

So the deal to open up the government, which I'm not sure if Ann Colter or Rush Limbaugh will approve of, is to trade the wall for a deal on dreamers.  You know the dreamers.  For those of you who only get your news from Fox, they are criminals.

By metmike - Jan. 10, 2019, 7:15 p.m.
Like Reply

mojo,

You seriously believe the democrats response to the information from the expert sources that I posted previously (border patrol reps that are strongly for the wall)........that they are just saying this to appease Trump and because they are afraid they might lose their jobs?

This is like........a member of a cult that is programmed to interpret everything with tunnel vision so that it does not contradict the religion. 

You are so convinced that this wall is a bad thing and want it to be a bad thing, that you won't allow anything that contradicts that into your brain.

I am just an American(not republican) that wants:

1. What's best for America

2. And what's best for the rest of the world at the same time

American's have an over abundance of wealth and resources that should be shared with those that were not as blessed and as lucky to happen to be born in the richest country in the world. It should be a huge priority for us to give generously and allow others to be part of this.............in the best/smartest way possible.

Allowing  massive illegal immigration is exactly the wrong way to do this.

Not only does this violate and disrespect our laws, it makes it harder for us to do the right things for the right people who are willing to go thru the right channels.

Trump is threatening to cut aid to Central American countries sending caravans of people here, that don't want to follow protocol. This is sad but what are we supposed to do?

There are a couple billion people in the world that would have better lives if they immigrated here. Not all of them want to come here but America can only let in a certain, single digit % of those that want to come here in..............and it must be done legally.

Otherwise, it creates chaos and degrades the quality of life for everyone already here. 

By Lacey - Jan. 10, 2019, 7:41 p.m.
Like Reply

Good one Tim.  If Trump does or says anything, the Dems will say that he should do the opposite.  All these leading Dems voted for a wall or barrier in years passed.   The hypocrisy is off the charts.  What he could accomplish with the same media support that Obama had.

By metmike - Jan. 10, 2019, 7:43 p.m.
Like Reply

Trump is asserting himself as president to do many things that he considers beneficial to Americans. You and I can disagree with his tactics but this is his objective with absolute certainty. 

The border barrier issue is just another area where he is asserting himself. Border patrol and statistics back Trump up on this one, so he has the right position based on facts.

But look what his response is when he can't control the border with better security(which a barrier would help provide):

Trump threatens to cut aid to Honduras, Guatemala and El Salvador

https://thehill.com/latino/423089-trump-threatens-to-cut-aid-to-honduras-guatemala-and-el-salvador

I am actually for massively INCREASING aid to those countries, so this response makes me cringe but this is a president that wants to............and rightly so, control immigration at our southern border because its best for America. 

Democrats in control of the house would very likely prevent him from cutting aid to these countries and I would be on the side of Democrats if that turned out to be the case.

By TimNew - Jan. 11, 2019, 5:03 a.m.
Like Reply

And the conclusion of the "Up is Up, Down is Down debate", the lib dems tell the American people that pubs don't care if you go blind and get run over in heavy traffic.