The Wall (Market Related)
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by joj - Jan. 9, 2019, 7:07 p.m.

My TDS rant is in the NTR section.  This is only about how the government shutdown will affect the markets, if at all.

Past shutdowns have caused some market sell offs.  This time it appears the market doesn't care.  I find that action bullish (and it stopped me from selling into the rally).

But the TV pundits, seem to think this will be resolved.  I smell a long shutdown, which eventually would become bearish in my view.  The only out I see for Trump is a declaration of emergency and build the wall with defense funds.  THAT could be very bearish the market as I think it could cause concerns about a possible constitutional crisis.  For example.  The Supreme court rules against Trump and he say's "F - you!!"

Comments
By metmike - Jan. 9, 2019, 10:17 p.m.
Like Reply

joj,

When you have to tell us that a post is market related, that usually means that its not obvious.

I am happy to keep your post up here and with your cue to others that you intend it to generate market related comments. ............which there  can be tons of related to the government shut down.

In fact, it would be wonderful to discuss how the shut down will affect markets in a thread that doesn't morph into the political attacks and defending of the attacks which are defining this issue right now in the NTR forum. 

By TimNew - Jan. 10, 2019, 6:40 a.m.
Like Reply

Treading a very thin line on TR/NTR here. That being said...

I think if Trump said "F-You" to a supreme court ruling, we would have a constitutional crisis and that would most certainly have negative impact on a wide array of markets.  I think in such a case,  I would be selling stocks and just about everything else and buying gold (and ammo).

I see this as an extremely unlikely scenario.

1.)  in the unlikely event the court ruled against Trump, he'd have little choice but to comply. To not do so would most certainly be impeachable.

2.) I can't find anything in the constitution that would warrant such a ruling by the SCOTUS. The President has overwhelming constitutional authority over the borders.

http://www.federalistblog.us/2006/07/delegated_powers_immigration/

http://secureborderscoalition.com/constitution.php

By MarkB - Jan. 11, 2019, 1:27 a.m.
Like Reply

As I see it, we are here to make money. So you have to "roll with the flow". As best as you can discern.

The government shutdown, has not necesarily had any realistic affect on my trading. Even in the stock market, most of the effects there, are because companies have chosen the wrong route, or have margined themselves too far out. Apple took a chance, and it is failing. And it has affected the stock market. Such is the reality of life. Deal with it.