Made Money in stocks this week...
4 responses | 1 like
Started by TimNew - Jan. 6, 2019, 7:31 p.m.

Kinda forgot what that was like in the last few months.   Wonder if it will happen again.

Equity futures are up nicely tonight.  So... Maybe  :-)

Comments
By silverspiker - Jan. 8, 2019, 1:06 p.m.
Like Reply

Good for you young man ...

...it's good to see a man take an active interest 

in danger these days.... ;-)

By metmike - Jan. 8, 2019, 2:22 p.m.
Like Reply

Congrats Tim. I hope things continue your way in 2019!

By TimNew - Jan. 8, 2019, 2:43 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks.  Like we used to say way back when at the flat track races,  "No Balls,  No Bux"  :-)

By wglassfo - Jan. 8, 2019, 3:37 p.m.
Like Reply

Hi Tim

Nice to meet a fellow stock car racer.

As for the equities, I would be cautious

We have had, what?? almost a 9 yr bull market

That sort of thing can get into your head and one might think the bull is still alive and well. It might be for some time IDK

I remember your post from some time ago, saying you seemed to have lost your touch. I remember thinking what goes up will go down. Now if you are a buy and hold then opportunity may come your way. But as a trader I have read too many books about Wall St. Most of not all of the younger stk brokers had never seen a bear market. Even older folks got caught up in the bull market and big profits. The housing market played a role, in the last crash, but not every thing was house related. Just happened the house market was the 1st domino to fall

The thought that the good times would continue for ever is what destroyed Lehman and they were a very big company, in business for ever, that had survived the depression. But new blood destroyed an old institution

Today the search is for yield. Big money needs to find yield. As has happened many times before, the risk factor is ignored as yield becomes the dominate thought. Investors are willing to assume some crazy risk if the yield is there. Eventually the risk factor comes into play

What the Fed does will play a big role, but they have used up almost all their silver bullets and nothing works like it used to work. The Fed may find out they can't stop the freight train, and then the jig will be up.

Ask yourself. How much fiat can or will the Fed print to back stop the stk market. They see a strong USD but if the dollar loses it's safe haven thing, then the Fed is powerless to do anything to stop a run away freight train. Low employment is not all she wrote. As companies come in with lower than expected earnings, which I think they will, I would be careful The market may decide that stks are over priced

Having said all that I sure hope stks maintain their value. We have a bunch of stks we can't sell fast enough for tax reasons. We are looking to re-allocate into canadian bank stks. I wanted to buy Barrick mining stk but was out voted.