Krakatoa
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by GunterK - Dec. 24, 2018, 11:15 a.m.

While our focus is on Xmas shopping, the government shut-down, the Syrian troop withdrawal, and, for some, the Kardashian Xmas party, many may not have paid attention to what is happening in Indonesia.

Anak Krakatoa ("son of Krakatoa") in Indonesia erupted this weekend, and the resulting tsunami killed some 200+ people 

Most of us have read about the original Krakatoa explosion in 1883. The sound of it could be heard 3000 miles away. The resulting tsunami reached heights of 120 feet and killed more than 30k people (in what was then a sparsely populated area). The ashes darkened the skies around the globe for a long time and resulted in global temperatures dropping. Experts say, if this happened today, millions would die by the tsunami, and the global food supply would be in jeopardy.

What most people don't know.....the original Krakatoa explosion was not a singular event... it developed in a sequence of increasing eruptions, culminating in the final violent explosion, which made the whole island disappear.

Will the current Anak Krakatoa eruption be a singular event, or will this develop into a series of increasing eruptions, just like in 1883?

Comments
Re: Krakatoa
0 likes
By wglassfo - Dec. 24, 2018, 1:16 p.m.
Like Reply

Obviously we have no idea what could happen

However, if history does repeat, we know that ash etc in the atmosphere in sufficient quantities will lower the world temp. That would affect food production in our modern era, perhaps more so then1883 if I have the date correct

Today we grow many more acres of grain that gets it's energy from sunlight. We have also bred varieties that extend the growing region further north into shorter days between spring and fall killing frost. 

In 1883 there would be many more acres/person devoted to grassland and hay as the horse was the primary means of field H.P if you like that expression

Frost does not kill grassland as easily as grain crops. So: You can see we are much more vulnerable to world temp for food production, especially if we have more than 1 yr of lower supplies. We can feed ourselves with a yr of low stored food supplies, [2012] but a 2nd yr or more would be a definite threat to our food supply. As producers we would need precise weather information if we had to grow cold tolerant crops and be assured there would be a market, just in case the weather for cast was incorrect.  If we can grow crops and food in Alaska, we can adapt food production.

So: In a nut shell

1st We have to have conditions that will lower world temps.

2nd If world temps stay low for a continued time span, food supply could be a problem unless food producers quickly adapted to cold weather conditions.

By carlberky - Dec. 24, 2018, 5:01 p.m.
Like Reply

You guy have got me so scared that my bejevers are gone. Not only that, you made me think about  Yellowstone's volcano. When that one goes, no place on earth will be safe.

Re: Krakatoa
0 likes
By silverspiker - Dec. 24, 2018, 6:04 p.m.
Like Reply

My wife is more excited to stop in Waco and see the Fixer Upper Silo's, restaurants, and maybe see Chip and Jo...

... wait a minute... I am not married....  ... but I do know Chip and Jo

Yellowstone Supervolcano would cause volcanic WINTER bringing DEEP FREEZE

THE Yellowstone Supervolcano could plunge the world into a ‘deep freeze’, dropping the average global temperature by as much as 15 degrees Celsius.