Take Yer Pick
9 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Dec. 21, 2018, 11:24 a.m.

Syria, Afghanastan, Iraq

I think the families of the kids in body bags would like to know why they were in those countries and why they were killed

Patriotic, a credit to their country, blah blah

seems to me like a politicians way of saying we like war and your kid/husband just got unlucky

Can anybody tell me what the mission of the military forces are in those countries

Also: What are the rules of engagement

Comments
By wglassfo - Dec. 21, 2018, 12:45 p.m.
Like Reply

I am guessing nobody has the answer

But:

You can be dang sure the media has an answer. Just ask them,

When the media has the answers [actually opinion to meet the deadline] then it's all down hill from there

Sad thing when the media run the country

We aren't much different in our country

Biggest difference is we don't have the population to pay for as many different media outlets

By wglassfo - Dec. 21, 2018, 12:48 p.m.
Like Reply

I apologize to any who for security reasons can't answer

I bet you also have questions but a forum just isn't the place

By carlberky - Dec. 21, 2018, 1:13 p.m.
Like Reply

Unfortunately, Wayne, wars are good for the economy, and can even bring an end to a depression. Let's pray (about the only thing that can help us) that we don't need one in two years.

By wglassfo - Dec. 21, 2018, 1:37 p.m.
Like Reply

I know what you are saying, I really do

Tell that to a 6 yr old kid that she/he won't ever see  dad/mom again, but the good news is,  everybody else, in town, can have a mom and dad and two cars in the garage.

The ROE are still an open question, on the forum. Unless they got changed that is serious enough to be changed.

I know what it was when BO was pres and that rule cost a lot of lives..

By carlberky - Dec. 21, 2018, 2:15 p.m.
Like Reply

Almost my entire working life has been for companies with Industrial/Military contracts and any good I've done in my life has  been enabled by almost continuous employment. Should I feel guilt because our leadership feels that their idea of the greater good requires that "some of us have to make sacrifices", as Nixon once said.  

I feel sorry for that 6 year old little girl, but I don't feel guilty for being luckier than her dad. 

By Lacey - Dec. 21, 2018, 4:16 p.m.
Like Reply

The first president in decades to go against the deep state and their forever war machine.  He has real guts.  Let the Israelis fight their own wars for once.  Bring the soldiers home and build the wall.  Keep setting them up and taking them down Trump.  You will go down as one of the ballsyest presidents ever. Has done more for America in two years than the last  3 administrations.  MAGA.

By wglassfo - Dec. 21, 2018, 5:43 p.m.
Like Reply

Okay Carl

So: Now you say it is for the greater good, and yes I have heard that said many times..

I have never had anybody give me a coherent explanation of what the greater good is in Syria, Afhganastan or Iraq. I have stayed with those three countries so this discussion sort of stays on the rails. And I don't expect folks to agree with me, but maybe to think a bit as the headlines are full of Mattis etc. which sort of makes this a topic of interest..

I remember seeing the shock and awe of Iraq [I think Iraq] as if this was family entertainment on prime time TV

People were killed, but it was still prime time family entertainment. We even got to see how smart bombs could kill people

So, as you know: Sadam and his two sons were displaced, actually killed in cold vicious murder. Plus a lot of revenge was taken, against Sadam's circle of people in former power, in the form of murder. But: eventually, as soon as possible, a democratically elected leader and gov't, [acceptable to the americian invaders]took over the gov't of the country. Corrupt as all heck, eventually hated by his own people as rival warlords wanted a share of power but acceptable to the USA.

So why did the USA stay, once a election was held,  a leader chosen  and the hunt for WMD stopped.??

This is where the greater good as you say fails me as to why the military remained

Were they peace keepers, occupiers, allowed to partake in the spoils of war?? 

You may remember, before anything happened, that there was mention about the oil paying for the war expense, which I suppose would be the spoils of war

This is where I have a problem with the greater good, as if somebody decided they knew what was best for the folks and country. Well there was one family member [actually a lot] who lost his entire family to an americian bomb. He also decided the greater good was to kill as many americians as possible

SO: whose was the greater good???

By carlberky - Dec. 21, 2018, 7:23 p.m.
Like Reply

"So: Now you say it is for the greater good" 
Wayne, you completely misread what I wrote.

"Should I feel guilt because our leadership feels that their idea of the greater good requires that "some of us have to make sacrifices", as Nixon once said.  

By metmike - Dec. 21, 2018, 10:06 p.m.
Like Reply

"Should I feel guilt because our leadership feels that their idea of the greater good requires that "some of us have to make sacrifices", as Nixon once said."

It's very true that there are times when civilized people, especially in the developed countries  where the need to make sacrifices for the greater good of mankind is paramount to the well being of others.

The very sad fact though, is that, more often than not, those in power making the decisions on what the greater good is have a very distorted  and biased view of the greater good. This often just defines a personal political belief system which results in destructive realities which take a massive toll on humans beings used as their pawns to accomplish "their"greater good..............which they sell to us with convincing propaganda.