The future IS up to us ...
8 responses | 0 likes
Started by carlberky - Dec. 19, 2018, 7:01 p.m.

I subscribe to Netflix and they show quite a few foreign films. Not being a world traveler, I have been surprised ... no,  shocked ... by the densely populated cites shown, with beautiful tall buildings boasting modern architecture, and their infrastructure  is state of the art.  

All my life I've assumed that the US was the world leader in every field civilization demands and I have now come to realize that  the world is not just siting back, waiting for the next American innovation. 

We can not .. and must not just sit on our laurels, content with the memory of past glories.

Comments
By metmike - Dec. 19, 2018, 8:18 p.m.
Like Reply

Carl,

The world has changed as much during your life time as during all the previous years of human existence up to when you were born.

You and I have been blessed to live at  the best time of human existence, considering the 100+ generations before us............that were constantly faced with adversity.

Having enough food/water and staying warm was the top priority for thousands of years.

Actually, for a couple billion on the planet, having enough food and water is still up at the top for needs. 

Us Americans and those in the developed world have it good......actually we have it incredibly great.  "Many" poor people in our societies have it better than kings and queens did  a few centuries ago!(despite many poor families still struggling)

But globalization is becoming more and more important. Agendas like Donald Trumps and Brexit are a last gasp at trying to preserve some great things in the past that, because of the direction everything is going, will eventually be nothing but the past.

By wglassfo - Dec. 19, 2018, 9:53 p.m.
Like Reply

Somebody posted: when the USA sneezes, the world catches a cold

When I saw that post I thought to myself

How many americians have travelled the world

How many even own a passport 

I was very sad to realize how small the world is to so many people. Might be some truth to the sneeze statement but not so much as it used to be.

When I was trucking I could not believe how many truckers were absolutely terrified to cross the border into Canada. I crossed the border, on average, into the USA twice a week and many more miles in the USA You have a very big country where people live.

Even well respected business people had no idea what Canadian culture, custom etc. was all about. If Canada is a problem, imagine travelling to the EU or south of the equator with out the aid and comfort of a guided tour. Little things like finding accommodation, renting a car, licience requirements, insurance, language, meals, signs on a corner building etc etc. We have done a lot of it and survived so far. At least as much as the money allows. Hint: Always travel business class if you are flying any longer than 6 hrs for us. You can find a deal that won't break the bank if you look long enough. 1st class isn't worth the money unless you can't spend it all.

I am not pointing the finger at americians

My fellow Canadians also have a very limited knowledge of the world, as do so many in this world

Might as well assume you have tourist stamped on your forehead. The locals all know.

Enjoy: when ever you can, where ever you are

By wglassfo - Dec. 19, 2018, 10:07 p.m.
Like Reply

Just thought I should add

There are a lot of really, really old buildings in the world, also

Many 400 yr old buildings are considered good for generations to come

England has the ability to make a really old pub exciting and a good time had by all

Of course you see some really old buildings in Paris and Italy. Some of them are a city block large just for one building. Venice looks much the same as it did a 100 yrs ago. The Mona Lisa is a really small picture. I was disappointed when I saw it. The crowds were more interesting to me. When I finally pushed, yes pushed my way to the front, I turned around and took pictures of all the people behind me. Just some stupid stuff I do when on holiday. When my wife told me to stay "here" so she could go shopping, I fell asleep on the stairs. My wife took a picture when she came back. That is my homeless picture. When I almost got arrested for not being exactly kind and sort of physical with the desk clerk, due to sloppy service, in Italy, my wife was not amused about that phone call. At least I did not go to jail, in a foreign country. Scary when I think about it.

By TimNew - Dec. 20, 2018, 3:43 a.m.
Like Reply

I don't live in a small world,  but apparently you do.  And that's OK.  If the US economy suffers,  the rest of the world generally suffers worse.  That may, and probably will change.   But looking at the numbers,  it remains true.

By wglassfo - Dec. 20, 2018, 5:50 a.m.
Like Reply

I have no idea what you consider as your world. I would be foolish to try and guess.

By TimNew - Dec. 20, 2018, 6:19 a.m.
Like Reply

The real one.

By wglassfo - Dec. 20, 2018, 9:38 a.m.
Like Reply

No sense trying to expand your horizon

Well: Lets see how your real world and the rest of the world answer this question in the coming yr.

The stk market is having a huge headache

The Powell Int rate just added another layer of pain

Lets see how you cope with a falling stk market, a housing industry that will lay off 1000's, slower consumer activity, a credit lock up etc.

Will the rest of the world catch a cold, because it looks as if Powell and the stk market is determined to give you some pain, or should I say a sneese

By TimNew - Dec. 21, 2018, 12:43 a.m.
Like Reply

'Well: Lets see how your real world and the rest of the world answer this question in the coming yr.

The stk market is having a huge headache

The Powell Int rate just added another layer of pain

Lets see how you cope with a falling stk market, a housing industry that will lay off 1000's, slower consumer activity, a credit lock up etc.

Will the rest of the world catch a cold, because it looks as if Powell and the stk market is determined to give you some pain, or should I say a sneese"

You are obviously getting fixated here Wayne.  I suggest you have a cup of coffee and relax.

The point I am making, and it's a real world point,  even if you don't want to believe it, is that the US is a driving force  in world economics.  We are all in this together,  but if Italy slows down,  we won't feel much of anything. Our stock market may react,  but the over all economy will march on.   If the US slows down, Italy will feel it in a real way.  Same is true for pretty much every country in the industrialized world. It will vary from country to country. Obviously, some impact the US quite a bit more than Italy, but the reciprocal is more significant. That may, and probably will change down the road but it's not the case right now.

Yeap, our stock market is falling and I can debate whether the feds latest was the right move.  

Housing starts and permits had a recent jump,  consumer earning and spending is up,  and not sure what you mean by a credit lock up.  So,  don't confuse a nervous market with the underlying economy. Many are making that mistake.