Won't You Be My Neighbor
9 responses | 0 likes
Started by joj - Nov. 27, 2018, 12:14 a.m.

On Amazon Prime - Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 99 rating.  Very up lifting.

Think.  Just sit and think for one minute in silence.  Think about some person (or persons) who looked after you in your life.  Someone who helped you get to where you are today.  Someone who loved you.

Comments
By metmike - Nov. 27, 2018, 12:36 a.m.
Like Reply

Very nice thought!

By TimNew - Nov. 27, 2018, 3:35 a.m.
Like Reply

Too many to count.  Starting with my mother, some great teachers, a coach or 2 and many others along the way.

But,  for my professional life,  Sam Whitehurst.  I've lost touch over the years and I suspect he has moved on to the next level by now,  but back when I was a struggling entry level programmer, he gave me my first break when so many others chose not to. I spent 2 years working really hard to convince him he'd made the right choice and it went a long way in helping me become pretty good at what I do.

I can only hope, at this end of my career, there are a few who would say the same about me.

By carlberky - Nov. 27, 2018, 7:32 a.m.
Like Reply

"I spent 2 years working really hard to convince him he'd made the right choice".

Tim, think about your memory of him if you had been a total jerk. 

Yes, there are people I am grateful to, and I appreciate the message of this thread. As I reflected on my life I thought about how we are given opportunities in life, some by total strangers and , in my case, some by chance encounters.(There is no such thing as luck !) 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that how we react to those opportunities is what makes us who we are.

By joj - Nov. 27, 2018, 7:38 a.m.
Like Reply

I had thought of my mom, my brother and a professor.  Tim jogged my memory and I now recall a boss who gave me a huge break.  That door he opened made all the difference.  Of course Carl makes a good point as well.

By TimNew - Nov. 27, 2018, 9:22 a.m.
Like Reply

Oh,  I agree.   Luck is 95% effort.

By mikempt - Nov. 27, 2018, 9:43 a.m.
Like Reply

I can only hope someday that people will understand why I hire illegals. Just as I had people take chances with me,hopefully the ones I taught the trades to will give the next generation  the same chance.

This is what America is about,Taking the chance $$$$$$

By carlberky - Nov. 27, 2018, 10:39 a.m.
Like Reply

Mikey, learning a trade may be a benefit for the illegals , but we all know why you and other tradesmen hire them.

By silverspiker - Nov. 27, 2018, 11:07 a.m.
Like Reply

... far out man... what a mind trip...   

By Lacey - Nov. 27, 2018, 7:09 p.m.
Like Reply

I think everyone comes across  opportunities that can be game changing to their life.  Some will recognize those opportunities and embrace them, others don't recognize them until too late and regret the rest of their lives.  But everyone will run across them at one or more points in their lives.