"we don't want no stinkin' jobs"
11 responses | 0 likes
Started by GunterK - Nov. 23, 2018, 8:03 p.m.

Some 6000 marchers from Central America are now  in Tijuana (a Mexican border down, South of San Diego)

Mexican authorities have offered them asylum and jobs. In Tijuana alone, there are some 10,000 job vacancies. The members of the "caravan" declined!!!!!

Well..... of course.... why should they take jobs in Mexico?

Unlike "legal immigrants", who have to work for a living and pay taxes, "refugees" in the US don't have to work. They get free housing, food stamps, health care, spending cash, free education for their kids

Why bother to work????

Their excuse for leaving their home is poverty, lack of jobs, Of course, when interviewed, they say they want to work. 

Sure.... sounds good.... gets them some sympathy.... so why are they not taking the jobs offered to them in Mexico? At least, in Mexico, they would be in a country that speaks their language.

There is no doubt in my mind, before they even left their home, they knew exactly what the US would offer them, once they convince the immigration officers to grant them asylum... this is the information age.... people know what's going on around the world. Why work, when the taxpayers of the US will pay for a free ride?

And not only that.... once you are in... after a while you can bring in your uncles, your cousins, your nephews,....

https://www.dw.com/en/mexico-caravan-migrants-shun-tijuana-jobs-hoping-to-get-to-the-us/a-46430096

Comments
By GunterK - Nov. 23, 2018, 8:05 p.m.
Like Reply

PS...

Title of this thread loosely adapted from the movie "The treasure of the Sierra Madre"

By TimNew - Nov. 24, 2018, 6:54 a.m.
Like Reply

Is this where I once again claim that these people are just like our grandparents/great grand parents at Ellis Island?

Probably not.  Seems that false equivalency has fallen by the wayside along the way. I haven't seen it in weeks.

Seems there are very different and likely conflicting priorities on the right and left when it comes to immigration policy.

For the right, the most important question is "How likely is it that they will become productive members of society?"

For the left, it's "How likely is it that they will support leftist policy?".

By carlberky - Nov. 24, 2018, 11:26 a.m.
Like Reply

"Title of this thread loosely adapted from the movie "The treasure of the Sierra Madre" "

Gunter, the most memorable line from a most memorable movie.

If they ever make a remake, I'm sure that there will be a slightly different version of the line. 

By JP - Nov. 24, 2018, 11:28 a.m.
Like Reply

"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!" is a widely quoted paraphrase of a line of dialogue from the 1948 film The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. That line was in turn derived from dialogue in the 1927 novel, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, which was the basis for the film. Wikipedia

By carlberky - Nov. 24, 2018, 11:41 a.m.
Like Reply

It's ironic that with all the star power in the movie, Alfonso Bedoya, a character actor, got the best line.

By GunterK - Nov. 25, 2018, 12:01 a.m.
Like Reply

another 7000 are expected to arrive in Tijuana during the next few days (how did they get to ride in buses to get here so quickly.... and who provided those buses?}

Tijuana cannot handle this influx of people. It is turning into a humanitarian crises.

my personal thoughts are .....

a) I am sick and tired of the media showing us pictures of women and children, when in reality most members of the caravan are young males.

b) the Mexican authorities should have been more forceful protecting their own Southern borders. Let them deal with the caravans.

c) lock the border, so that the word gets around in Central America that they may be marching for nothing.

some of you may say "this is cruel, these are poor people who need help"

Well..... in the US are some 500,000 homeless people, in Los Angeles alone some 60,000. For the most part, these homeless people are US citizens (and also a bunch of illegal aliens). Many of them are vets, who fought in the country's wars. Many of them are children, American children

How can anyone consider it proper to take care of poor folks from other countries, and give them free housing, free food, etc... .while our own men, women and children are sleeping in cardboard boxes in the park? Let's take care of our domestic homelessness problem, and when that is taken care of, then we can think about giving a helping hand to people of other countries.

PS

I am looking into the mirror... Am I a "racist"? Am I a "nationalist"? or am I just presenting a normal view, without political hypocrisy?

By cfdr - Nov. 25, 2018, 11:41 a.m.
Like Reply

Gunter, there are some of us, and it is obvious that includes you, who try to avoid what I have always called "moralistic thinking" when trying to solve problems.  Now, there is nothing wrong with moralistic thinking - unless it, rather than solve problems, makes the problems worse.  If a person really wants to try to solve a problem, it is imperative that "analytical thinking" is used.

I'm not going to go into examples, as I'm sure it is obvious to you what I'm saying.

One personal observation - liberals appear to be incapable of avoiding moralistic thinking.  And much of what they have done makes problems worse - not better.

By Lacey - Nov. 25, 2018, 2:35 p.m.
Like Reply

You are exactly right Gunter.  This is why this first caravan needs to be turned around, made an example of or it will quickly be 100,000 in the next one and 500,000 in the third.  These people need to change their own countries.  Still think MS-13 should be hunted with bounties offered.

By GunterK - Nov. 25, 2018, 7:08 p.m.
Like Reply

update.....

Mexico reports it will deport 100s of migrants who "violently tried to rush the US border."

Well, thank you, Mexico. I need to tone down the rhetoric I used earlier

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-11-25/san-ysidro-port-locked-down-hundreds-migrants-rush-us-border-tear-gas-deployed

By cfdr - Nov. 25, 2018, 7:27 p.m.
Like Reply

It's nice to have a president that Mexico does not seem to want to irritate.

What a refreshing change.

By mcfarm - Nov. 25, 2018, 10:21 p.m.
Like Reply

our previous President was all over the news this weekend and all he does is irritate