Tariff winners and losers
1 response | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Oct. 26, 2018, 12:57 a.m.

Just wondering if any body has noticed that Trumps tariff war seems to be producing winners and losers

Since I am attached to Ag I suppose that is my bailiwick

Trump has promised 1.62/bu  soybeans as part of the 12 billion to farmers, with rumours of more to come.

Is he going to pay this every yr because that chinese market sure looks like it is gone.

Trump has also promised E-15 to be available yr round at the pump. And don't forget special payments just for being a farmer and growing a crop [Arc etc.]

On our farm those special payments would be more than $100,000.00 free money in the mail box.

Plus the age old special subsidy of crop insurance that many farmers would not grow crops with out special protections [subsidies] Growing corn and soybeans in the desert with out crop insurance would be really stupid.

Now to be fair wages have increased by an average of approx. 3%. Great if you are above that cut off line, not so good if you are below, but that is what makes an average. Not every body got a 3% increase in wages

Now lets look at the small companies that use a lot of steel in their product. They pay a huge price for steel. Some have said the US market is the highest priced steel in the world. I don't know so can't prove it by me, but I do know the auto industry is taking a hit on sales. Plant closures and lay offs. Without any more info to make a long story longer it looks to me that tariffs produce winners and losers

Do the losers just suck it up for the good of the country??

What would you think about Trump if you lost your job due to plant closure, or lay off.

On the other hand does anybody have a better idea to put china on notice that their idea of trade does not make for fair trade. And how else could you tackle such a problem??

Do those unfortunate folks find another job. They may be too old to learn a new job skill or just not book smart enough to do things differently/ Remember we have about the dumbest people on the planet and not be a 3rd world country

Good thing we have a few people with enough smarts to keep the country  rolling along, but some just seem to be getting the shaft, AND MOSTLY NO FAULT OF THEIR OWN. aND THEN YOU HAVE THE FARMER WITH THEIR SNOUTS IN THE PUBLIC TROUGH, a new $40,000 P/U truck and righteously calling for free trade

The Indian had a term for this. 

Him speak with forked tongue

Sorry about the caps my finger slipped

Just some pros and cons but I really think Trump is going to be the scape goat when all is said and done. Plus we may have slipped into recession or depression long before this is over. That would most likely mean no more farmer snouts in the public trough if that would be possible and considered good.

I think there is no good answer, but you and I will likely pay the price

Plus post enough words and somebody can nit pick at something. Would be good if people took the time to think and post some deep thoughts. Maybe my stuff is just fluff??

I think I have attacked just about every possible person on either side of the spectrum. Gotta keep it fair.

Comments
By WxFollower - Oct. 26, 2018, 12:50 p.m.
Like Reply

I know it has been hurting cotton farmers since it has been holding down the price of cotton because the 25% tariff on imported US cotton to China has caused transaction cancellations the last few weeks due to that making it too expensive thus causing China to go to India or others to replace the US cotton.