We could learn from China
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Oct. 20, 2018, 1:05 p.m.

I expect there are other moderls that are just as good but my direct experience comes from the Chinese method of education.

I would think as a nation we would all want our most talented and serious students to be given every advantage we, as a nation, can offer, no matter who you are or your financial means.

In china every student is given a standard test to grade the student body. Those that over achieve are pushed along and the under achievers aree dropped from the student body.

Again at completion of what we whould call 12 grades of study, another standard test is given, to grade the student body as to over achievers etc.

Then the top students are allowed to pick a major of study and graded each yr. The best of the best are allowed to enter an Americaan university and when completed, come back home and go to work according to the central planners decision

We need to adopt something similar, as you can see the Chinese have effectively weeded out the students until approx. the top 10% implement the decisions of the central planners or politiburo

These 10% effectively manage the economy, business etc.

Now I would think, if we want top notch people, who are serious and study their material, we could effectively be a much greater nation with qualified decision makers, if it be a new business of Wall St or???

All we need to do is find the student material in grade school, and offer paid for education in return for X amount of work for the country as a whole. This is not social education as the student is required to pay back in service to the country

We need the top 10% working in our economy and then watch us really set the world on fire

This is just a quick draft but I am sure you can find the good and bad, and make the switch to a market economy instead of the central planners.

Comments
By TimNew - Oct. 20, 2018, 1:24 p.m.
Like Reply

"In china every student is given a standard test to grade the student body. Those that over achieve are pushed along and the under achievers aree dropped from the student body."

Yeah,  in a country where everyone gets a trophy for showing up,  this would work out great.  And of course, the tests would be labeled as "racist"  from the get-go.

Setting that aside, the flaw here is I have yet to find a test that accurately measures potential. Aptitude and/or intelligence is no guarantee.  Einstein was a mediocre student.  I guess in China, he'd have been dropped. 

By wglassfo - Oct. 20, 2018, 2:21 p.m.
Like Reply

I should have qualified when I said the student body, that meant after 8 grades of study, then 12 and so on.

In china the parents are paranoid their child will fail the test. If they do then the 1st dropped out are looking at scooping human feces into a wheel barrow and spreading on ag fields or some other such equal work

After 12 grades and failure you might be a truck driver with barely enough wages to rent a 600 sq' apartment

And so it goes up the ladder

In our country maybe we could let the racists design the test, so long as it had equal parts of history, culture, math you get the idea. Even attempting physical activities is a graded subject. Nobody is a world class jock but trying and not just showing up deserves a mark of some kind.

If Einstein failed because he was bored the Chinese don't care

Another Einstein will come along or they will steal the needed material

As I said no model is perfect but we sure as heck need to improve, or we will breed a whole bunch of social dependant couch potatoes

One big failure is the teachers of the students

My father said an excellent teacher is priceless

A poor teacher should be fired

And then you have all those in between

My solution

Give the good teachers the best students

Give the less qualified teachers, the worst students

And then work your way to the middle

If as a teacher you don't think you have been treated fairly, then show me how you can teach better than you were graded.

Did you know the military failed to reach its goal of qualified enlistments, this past yr.

The largest disqualifier was inadequate physical condition

This country had better learn to use it brain material as that is maybe about all we have and if that goes, then what have we left as a country. There is always somebody who is willing and able, physically, mentally or some such qualifier.

Not everybody is a screaming idiot, although some media folks would like us to believe the minority is in fact the majority. Surely we have enough people who can think for themselves

We just need to figure out a way to take advantage of our strengths, before the idiots are the majority

I think Trump has started the process, but we can do our part, and yes he has his faults as anybody would expect

That is why we have elections and make decisions.

Just be thankful we don't have a dictator for life..

I am not in any way saying we copy china. We just need to do better.